Tetsuya Nomura Says Kingdom Hearts III Will Happen

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Tetsuya Nomura Says Kingdom Hearts III Will Happen

If you've been waiting for Square-Enix to continue the bizarre Disney-slash-Final Fantasy crossover that is the Kingdom Hearts series, then ... well, you're going to have to keep on waiting.

In 2002, Kingdom Hearts hit shelves, treating people to a truly bizarre blend of Disney's timeless classics with the uber-JRPG sensibilities of Square-Enix in a surprisingly entertaining narrative with a combat system bogged down with an unsurprisingly frustrating camera. 2006's Kingdom Hearts II [http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Hearts-II-Playstation-2/dp/B0009A4EVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280156718&sr=1-1] tugged the storytelling more firmly into the JRPG side of thing while fixing the camera, adding new bells and whistles to the combat system, and making the Disney worlds feel entirely less relevant to the overall scheme of things than they had been before.

Despite the release of a slew of spinoff titles like 3.14159/2 Days [http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Hearts-Birth-Sleep-Sony-PSP/dp/B002I0GZ5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280156747&sr=1-1] (or something like that), though, the main story of Kingdom Hearts has been left standing for four years now. Series fans have been clamoring for a sequel since KH2 concluded - so is Kingdom Hearts III in the works?

According to Square-Enix big shot Tetsuya "Belts n' Zippers" Nomura, not at the moment - but that doesn't mean Squeenix doesn't want to be working on it. Speaking with Famitsu, Nomura said that even though KH3 wasn't under development at the moment, "Fans and partners alike are pressing us for it, so we'll work to realize it as soon as possible."

He was tight-lipped on anything further regarding the matter, though, saying that the third Kingdom Hearts could either come from Square-Enix's Tokyo team (makers of the first two Kingdom Hearts games and currently working on Nomura's Final Fantasy versus XIII) or the Osaka division, makers of the PSP Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

If the former, then it's likely that work on KH3 wouldn't even begin until Final Fantasy versus XIII comes out, which (at this point) is looking to be like some time short of never.

So I guess we can expect KH3 to release alongside Diablo III and Half-Life 2: Episode 3, right after the world ends in 2015.

(VG247 [http://www.uffsite.net/news/356/nomura-well-work-on-kingdom-hearts-3-as-soon-as-possible.html])

Blade Chunk

Feb 2, 2010
I want to see it happen. And this time add in The Black Cauldron as a world.

But five more years? Isn't it obvious leaving hits out of the lime light that long, hurt sales as people lose interest?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Be nice to see a third one, especilly on next-gen consoles. But, alas will need to wait.

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
Needs to include Robin Hood, bro.
Also, a Beauty and the Beast world actually featuring the raw festering heap of manliness that is Gaston [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdcUR0oh4MQ].

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Will it be multi-platform :p ? Heh if this and dark cloud 3 (dark chronicle 2?) were to be made I might actually consider getting a PS3. Nice to see that it's in the works anyway even if we do have to wait till doomsday.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Kingdom Hearts is a strange game. It's concept is, in every respect, "Fanfictiony" but it is still a good game for some odd reason. I will look foward to playing part three when it comes out.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
When though?

Also will it come on the 360? *prays*
From the looks of the past games...no.

Nintendo/ Sony handhelds and Sony consoles.

And I'm okay with whatever happens though.

And Mr. Funk...you are awesome.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Ghonzor said:
The Rockerfly said:
When though?

Also will it come on the 360? *prays*
From the looks of the past games...no.

Nintendo/ Sony handhelds and Sony consoles.

And I'm okay with whatever happens though.

And Mr. Funk...you are awesome.
Yeah but I am hoping with Square Enix releasing Final Fantasy XIII on the 360 it will be an indicating it will come on the 360. If it doesn't, I will be a very sad man

Mrkittycat

Dec 2, 2009
I did not play he handheld versions of KH. Can anyone explain the important parts of the story as simply as possible?

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
I pictured Donald Duck rendered in FF13 style graphics. And I needed to recollect the shattered pieces of my skull.
I'm hoping it comes to frutation, KH2's battle system was really good and generally fun to play, and they can only really improve on that.
Besides, 1, 2, Chain of Memories and BBS can only serve to fill my need to hit things with giant keys for so long.

VonVirgo

Mar 25, 2009
Make that damn game, it's the final piece to this extremely convoluted puzzle!