Incredible Chrono Trigger Statues Shown at Toy Fair 2010

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Incredible Chrono Trigger Statues Shown at Toy Fair 2010

Sadly, a new Chrono Trigger [http://www.amazon.com/Chrono-Trigger-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001E27DLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279562267&sr=1-1] game may never be made, but at least Square is giving us something.

One only has to look at my avatar to know of my love for classic SNES RPG Chrono Trigger, which is why I was so surprised by the reveal of some incredible new Chrono Trigger collectibles at Toy Fair 2010 this week. These aren't just figurines in the shape of the characters from the greatest RPG of all time, but depictions of battle scenes and private moments.

Chrono Trigger is a Square RPG that is universally beloved by everybody. That's right, nobody in the world hates Chrono Trigger, not even one little bit. Though it was originally released for the SNES, it later hit the PlayStation and was most recently ported to the Nintendo DS.

Chrono Trigger's battle system works in such a way that the three character party can join together to perform a very powerful move, called a triple-tech. Double-techs are also possible, though not normally as powerful. Every tech has a different power level and graphical effect. In the one statue, it looks like characters Crono, Robo, and Ayla are getting ready to do their triple-tech, which is awesome.

Another statue shows girl genius Lucca fixing Robo, the game's strangely emotional robot. Crono and Frog are depicted in the third, while Magus hovers above an attacking Crono in the fourth. Only four statues were shown off in total, but they look incredibly detailed and represent Akira Toriyama's character designs well.

The collectibles might help me to forgive Square Enix for sending cease-and-desist letters to all groups developing popular Chrono Trigger fan-made projects, such as a planned full 3D remake, and an expansive ROM-hack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91635-Square-Shuts-Down-Fan-Made-Chrono-Game]. Still, Square Enix has given no indication that it plans to create any more Chrono Trigger games, as the DS port may not have met sales expectations. Maybe if enough people buy the statues, Square Enix will reconsider? They'll be available in August, so get out there and buy them!

A full gallery of all four statues is available over at UGO [http://www.ugo.com/the-goods/toy-fair-2010-chrono-trigger-toys].

(Image via UGO)

Dec 14, 2009
Can an object contain so much awesome that it tears a hole in the time space continuum?
[sub]See what I did there?[/sub]
I think so.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Wow! Awesome!

I love Chrono Trigger and what's the DS port like any good?

Edit - *Goes googling for Chrono Trigger*

Looks like I'll have to buy the DS version now.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I'd buy them, if I had every played Chrono Trigger. It sounds like a good RPG, but I'm not shelling out for an NES/SNES just to play one game.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
The collectibles might help me to forgive Square Enix for sending cease-and-desist letters to all groups developing popular Chrono Trigger fan-made projects, such as a planned full 3D remake...
WHAT?! *Thumps fist on desk* Bastards!

I wish I had know about this sooner. I heard about the rom hack, which may have had some legal backing to it, but this is unforgivable. I think I have just lost all faith in Square Enix.

MurderousToaster said:
I'd buy them, if I had every played Chrono Trigger. It sounds like a good RPG, but I'm not shelling out for an NES/SNES just to play one game.
You could get it on DS, you know. It's also on PS1.

Sir Ollie said:
Wow! Awesome!

It was excellent. The FMVs from the PSX version were included, the translation was tidied up, the menu/inventory system was revamped for touch controls (very good, IMO) and it allows you to choose between traditional controls and a very intuitive touch-menu in battle.

Dec 14, 2009
Sir Ollie said:
Wow! Awesome!

It's exactly the same as the original. You can switch back to the original interface if you don't like the new touch controls.
Edit: DAMN NINJAS!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Awesome stuff, though the Magus statue is a little hard to see since Magus somehow ended up in the blurred background of the photo.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT.

So whose up for stealing this gem?

I'm not waiting until August.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
tmujir955 said:
WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT.

So whose up for stealing this gem?
[Raises hand]

I will give you money to have me with you.
Then, on the way out, I will stab you in the back and keep the loot for myself.

There's no trust among thieves.

[sub]I think that reference is kinda obvious[/sub].

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
Sir Ollie said:
Wow! Awesome!

It's like the original, but you can have the inventory screen on the bottom screen.

MurderousToaster said:
DS?
Sold it to pay off a massive internet bill.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nimbus said:
Tom Goldman said:
The collectibles might help me to forgive Square Enix for sending cease-and-desist letters to all groups developing popular Chrono Trigger fan-made projects, such as a planned full 3D remake...
WHAT?! *Thumps fist on desk* Bastards!
Oh yeah, it looked amazing too. You can probably google and find images.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Awesome plus, now if I can only convince my girl to open some space on the shelves for this CT awesomesauceness... plus.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
MurderousToaster said:
Sold it to pay off a massive internet bill.
Well, buy a new one!

Then buy Chrono Trigger, and any other of the DS' library of excellent games!
I'll quote myself.

I'd buy them, if I had ever played Chrono Trigger. It sounds like a good RPG, but I'm not shelling out for an NES/SNES DS just to play one game.