Call of Duty Casting Call Mentions Vietnam Operatives

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Call of Duty Casting Call Mentions Vietnam Operatives

Rumors that Treyarch's next Call of Duty will be set in 'Nam now have more ammunition, as a casting call for "voice over/motion capture" describes characters from an elite Vietnam War unit.

There have been rumors and rumors aplenty that Treyarch's next Call of Duty would be set in the sweltering jungles of the Vietnam War, from outright saying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91428-Rumor-Next-Call-of-Duty-In-Nam]: yeah, it's going to be a Vietnam War game from Treyarch next November.

Well, now we have more rumors to toss on the fire: A casting call Military Assistance Command, Vietnam - Studies and Observations Group [http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/19/rumour-call-of-duty-casting-call-mentions-sog-in-vietnam-details-characters/] unit. SOG, a multi-service organization was responsible for undercover operations in Vietnam and operated from 1964 to 1972.

The characters mentioned are team leader and WW2 veteran Frank Barnes, a patriotic man, though one "increasingly out of step with the rapidly changing world around him"; Joseph Lewis, a soft-spoken young black man from New Orleans, tactician and mission coordinator Jason Hudson, and Kristina Ivanova, a Russian-born CIA agent who excels in close-quarter combat.

Sounds interesting enough, though it does beg the question - if the SOG team is one part of the story, then what will comprise the other half of the Call of Duty series' traditional two-viewpoint campaign? I'd like to think that we'll be seeing somewhere other than 'Nam, myself.

As always, these are unconfirmed rumors, so don't go taking them as the gospel truth. But the circumstantial evidence just keeps piling higher and higher, doesn't it?

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Hmm... the interesting thing about this is that World War II had a clear "good" side and a clear "bad" side. The Vietnam war was very controversial, and depending on who you ask, the Americans could very much be considered the bad guys.

Maybe playing as the Vietcong is going to comprise of the other half of the campaign.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I agree with Citrus, I would love to see both sides of the war. There are very little 'nam games and the only one I ever played (batlefield vietnam) I absolutely loved.

Shaegor

Oct 29, 2009
That picture makes me think of the A-Team intro...
Also, who wants to bet that the team leader will go down in about 3 missions in?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
This'll be interesting for sure... can't recall a good vietnam FPS... hopefully treyarch surprises me and does a good job!

Postman667

Sep 29, 2009
It will be great that they are finally going to do a Vietnam Era using the CoD engine. I love the WW2 games, but they really are overplayed. Would be great to see a WWI game that uses the same mechanics though.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
To be honest I think I'd rather have a single-view experience. The story'll be tighter, and any character deaths will be more profound if you've spent time with them.

Not that I'll play this anyway; never played a Treyarch CoD and until IW/Activision stop being dicks I won't be buying their next CoD either.

It may make no odds to them, but it's principles damn it!

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Can't wait for M16 to jam and to take apart the gun to clean it from all the mud inbetween and probably during levels... I just want some NAPALM! Such a shame the Treyarch is actually the developers, I would prefer IW.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
You know, personally this game is getting more and more interesting to me, i'm really interested in how there going to handle it, and the history behind the game.