Warner Bros. Invests in Quality Superhero Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Warner Bros. Invests in Quality Superhero Games

Warner Bros. recognizes that the world needs more superhero games like Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Today, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced the acquisition of a majority stake in Rocksteady Studios, the developer behind 2009's pretty awesome Batman: Arkham Asylum. This could easily be considered an investment in not only a proven studio, but in a future where superhero videogames don't suck.

Rocksteady was founded in London in 2004, but really hit it big with Batman: Arkham Asylum last year amongst critics and consumers alike. We already know the studio is working on Arkham Asylum 2, of which only a trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96841-The-Joker-Returns-in-Arkham-Asylum-2] has been shown so far, but Warner's acquisition could ensure an even lengthier future for the developer as far as superheroes are concerned. Sefton Hill, games director for Rocksteady, hints: "The Rocksteady team is very much looking forward to creating more great games based on widely recognized Warner Bros. brands like Batman."

Warner Bros. now owns two studios that have developed good Batman games, acquiring Lego Batman developer Traveler's Tales back in 2007. With good superhero games for kids and adults now both with a major backer, I think we all win here.

Arkham Asylum is almost an assured big-selling franchise at this point, so superhero videogame fans should have releases to look forward to from Rocksteady for a while. After Arkham Asylum 2 is released, it's likely that Rocksteady Studios will either work on Arkham Asylum 3, or another superhero game from the DC Comics universe. Rocksteady has become the Chris Nolan of the videogame world, successfully bringing the Dark Knight back into a positive public light. Whether the studio will also be brought over to another superhero franchise like Nolan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98189-Superman-Could-Get-Dark-Knight-Treatment] is complete speculation, but I wouldn't mind seeing a really good Superman game sometime in the next decade. Or, you know, ever.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
If Rocksteady can pull off another title that is just as successful as Arkham Asylum, then there is hope for superheroes in videogames. That, and Activision will no longer have the market cornered with Spider-Man.

I, too, would love to see if they can pull off a Superman game that works.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Give me a good DC Ultimate Alliance (ya I know doesn't have the same ring as MUA). You have the Legion of Superheroes for crying out loud.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Good games make good money....go figure.
I mean really did they think that a good superhero game was going to just appear with no backing or resources?

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Yeah they made a good Batman game, but I hope they don't get stuck making superhero games for ever, oh well at least we might get more good superhero games for once.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I hate to say this...but LEGO Batman kinda sucked. That said, I could really go for a good "The Flash" game.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
How does one make a good game about someone who flys about in red underpants?

Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate to say this...but LEGO Batman kinda sucked. That said, I could really go for a good "The Flash" game.
"What it good for you, baby?"

"Was what good for me?!"

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
How does one make a good game about someone who flys about in red underpants?
The exact same way one makes a good game about a detective in black underpants:

1) Pen a good script by using established canon and unseen locations alike.
2) Hire quality voice actors.
3) Apply simple, yet effective gameplay mechanics that don't get tiresome.
4) Inject 50cc's of
5) Polish that sumbitch to a mirror shine.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I can't see that working. A man running really, really fast does not a good videogame make.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
JeanLuc761 said:
The exact same way one makes a good game about a detective in black underpants:

1) Pen a good script by using established canon and unseen locations alike.
2) Hire quality voice actors.
3) Apply simple, yet effective gameplay mechanics that don't get tiresome.
4) Inject 50cc's of
5) Polish that sumbitch to a mirror shine.
Can't argue there, Jean.

But I still think Superman needs a costume change.
Trenchcoat, anyone?

Feb 13, 2008
One thing I've looked forward to for a LONG time (Like since I was a kiddie) was a game where you could actually play a superhero. Huge fight scenes, saving the world, the works.

What I've got so far is a mish-mash of ideas, but both CoX and Arkham Asylum have come close.

With Warner Bros. on the case, I can at least hope a little more - But there's still a fortress full of people who "know how it should be done", and very few who listen first.

I think JeanLuc761 has it about right though - although 6) Don't add any bloody stupid DRMs/restrictions. If Mewtwo can sell bucketloads, be pirated bucketloads and still make a profit; just think what could be done with a licence as well.

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
all I want is for a Booster Gold videogame

or hell, a Question game would be awesome...

but I'll just wait until DC Universe Online and hope for the best

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I'm pretty sure that WB is releasing a game base on the Brave and the Bold cartoon show. If it has the Music Meister in it, I'd be perfectly okay with it.

Also, Neil Patrick Harris for Arkham Asylum 2.