Warner Bros. Invests in Quality Superhero Games

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
We'll see what happens with DCUO, I have mixed opinions about it from what I've seen so far.

I am all for more quality super hero games, however to be honest I've always been more of a marvel fan. Truthfully when it comes to DC I'm ironically more a fan of their "Wildstorm" imprint than I am of the main DC continuity, which always struck me as being a bit sillier than Marvel (for reasons I won't get into right here).

Batman Arkham Asylum was a good game, but I think Batman is a relatively easy property to work with compared to what some other characters would demand in terms of handling their powers, and getting the feel right. Not to mention the fact that Batman is iconic on a massive level (like Superman) and what they used is easily recognizable.

In my case most of the mainstream DC characters I tend to like: Superman, Green Lantern, Zatanna, etc... are either relatively obscure, or possess powers that would make them hard to build a game around. For example making a game with an engine that could make me feel like I was The Green Lantern and could do anything with my ring would be very hard with current tech. I suppose if they could find a way to like bring some kind of stylus gimmick into a full sized console and I could like draw pictures of the stuff I wanted, save it, and then unleash it in the game it could work, but otherwise I'd be left with a bunch of stock Green Lantern-like presets and it just wouldn't be the same for example. With a game based around Superman for example, part of the whole idea of the character is not just the specific powers he has but the massive level he has them at. I could see them implementing flight in a game (it's been done) but making me feel that I can fly as fast as Superman does? That's one little thing, but really that's part of the entire experience for example.

At any rate I'd love to see an "Authority", "Planetary", or "Gen 13" game. :)

Never going to happen of course, but still. :p

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Well personally I think some superheros can't get a good game, Superman and Flash for example would be very very hard to do. Superman walks around with god-mode turned on, unless you have every thug and villain rocking kryptonite it's going to be too easy. The Flash... well speed is video games is like god-mode, the ability to move that fast would make is hellishly easy, unless again you have a McGuffin stopping his main ability.

I think the characters best suited to a game would be either Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, or Nightwing.

Nightwing is easy, he is basically batman, same gear, same skills, different suit. But it could be done well, Bludheaven has some cool stuff.

Green Lantern is perhaps the most powerful character in the DC universe, it's only the imagination and intelligence of the user that limits the ring, so it could be done very well.

Martian Manhunter powers aren't overly insane, and he has a fairly common weakness (fire), he would make for an awesome stealth game, but, he's not as well known outside comic book fans as Batman or Superman unfortunately.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
qbanknight said:
ah yes, making a decent superman game, we shall see, we shall see
Definetly...I would love to see one but I wont hold my breath

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Green Lantern game I say! Or they could attempt to make one of the JLA crisis story lines into a game, that'd be quite interesting.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
allinejore said:
Yaaaaaaaaa,its a very nice article about this topic Warner Bros. Invests in Quality Superhero Games.Thanks to shear your thought with us.

wrinkle cream [http://ezinearticles.com/?Best-Anti-Eye-Wrinkle-Cream---Choose-With-the-Help-of-My-Personal-Experience&id=3789968]
Wow. I just gotta say, this is terrible. Seriously. Did that company really think the user will last past a few posts?
What were we talking about again?...
Oh, right. So, I don't know about Superman. He is basically a character in constant god mode. Invincibility, fly, lasers, x-ray, strength. Other stuff, I don't really know. But it is cool to see a company getting behind action hero games. I loved AA, the Spiderman games are pretty cool, sometimes, and The Incredible Hulk : Ultimate Destruction was an epic game.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Uber Evil said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate to say this...but LEGO Batman kinda sucked. That said, I could really go for a good "The Flash" game.
I can't see that working. A man running really, really fast does not a good videogame make.
But what about a man who creates tornados by spinning his arms?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'd like to see a Mass-Effect style [ie: galactic travel] Green Lantern game. Really, something like that would probably work well as an MMO. Another similar idea would be a Silver Surfer [or Superman] sim which has [insert super hero name here] travel the entire planet helping the helpless and stopping the evil doers.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Joe Matsuda said:
all I want is for a Booster Gold videogame
Yeah, with time travel like the new series? That'd be cool, and is also something which will never be made :(

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate to say this...but LEGO Batman kinda sucked. That said, I could really go for a good "The Flash" game.
TsunamiWombat said:
The Flash: The Game

Make It So.
It's been tried, and it failed before it ever came to market.

<youtube=HrtwUQXuSXY>

And it seems to work better when it's a spiky-haired blue thing chasing after gold rings anyway.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
...or another superhero game from the DC Comics universe.
*crosses fingers for a Weather Wizard game*

Exclusively for the Wii, of course.
DrDeath3191 said:
Also, Neil Patrick Harris for Arkham Asylum 2.
That would be legen- <spoiler=wait for it>DARY

I can see him being a young Hugo Strange. Seems like a fitting follow up to Joker and his Titan experiments.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
this could be the start of a beautiful relationship. Don't cock it up Warner Bros..like for example a utterly purtrid Superman game