EA: This Console Generation Will Last Longer Than Usual

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
EA: This Console Generation Will Last Longer Than Usual

According to EA CFO Eric Brown, slow price drops and high-end tech mean your current-generation console may be sticking around a bit longer than usual.

"Pricing has not come down as much as we would have expected at this point in the cycle compared to the last," Brown said. Consoles this generation have a long way to go before they match end-of-life prices of the previous generation, he said.

"Last cycle, approximately 48 percent of PlayStation 2 units were sold at a price point of $149 or less. Clearly at $299 we're nowhere near that price point," Brown said.

In addition to heightened prices, Brown said modern consoles have the hard drive space and graphical capacity to last for years. Upgrading to a new generation simply isn't feasible.

"If you have a multi-billion capital investment to develop the next generation hardware, the question I would ask is, 'If you were to produce that, what would you display it on?'" Brown said. "You could upgrade in theory, but you wouldn't get the obvious graphic benefit that we saw that drove the transitions in the prior cycle," he said.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27364/EA_CFO_Slow_Price_Cuts_Powerful_Hardware_Will_Slow_Console_Transition.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I suppose is a good thing. Dont need to spend a large sum of money on new consoles in the new future =D

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
*longer*
dev are already feeling limits of 360 at least

RAAAGGGGEEEEEE

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
Console graphics still have a long way to go. Maybe the Next-gen consoles can have AA(Anti-aliasing? That's what bugs me most about playing on a console.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Well...No shit Sherlock (EA) it's been five years since the 360 launched and we haven't heard anything about new consoles yet.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Didn't we know this already? I thought sony said the PS3 was gonna be around for 10yrs from release at least.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I'm only dying to know what the next xbox is going to be called, it's really bothering me.

What? Don't look at me like that...

NapalmBob

May 27, 2009
Consoles are money bins anyways. PCs can be slowly upgraded piece by piece to stay up to date. And they have more buttons too.

If you can't tell, I'm too poor to buy a PS3 :(

snow

Jan 14, 2010
I'm fine with the idea of this console generation sticking around. I only got my ps3 at the end of last year, and I usually end up being one of the last to pick up a new generation console..

This just means I'm not the last... YAY!!

Not to mention that this generation will have more games coming out for it, which is always a good thing! I hated the sega saturn/ playstation generation for being so quickly replaced... Or it felt that way to me atleast.. It's been so long so I guess my memories of those years feel a bit shorter...

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
not surprised realy the technology is pretty epic especialy in the ps3 so its not too surprising i mean in the past the technology was advancing at an uber rate but now its slowing down a bit so :p kinda want a new one tho lol wanna see how EPIC the ps4 will be.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Well with the exception of good AF and AA, I don't see much graphically that they need to add to consoles. Although I think we might be reaching the point where certain 360 titles will start becoming 2-disc games due to the 9GB limit of DVD's. Honestly that's not a big deal though.

Granted getting games that are true native 1080p would be really nice to see, I don't think the developers are too keen on that, look how long development times are now, to do that could push games back 4 - 8 months or more easily...

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I kind of want a new console these ones are getting kind of old and kind of dated. They weren't thinking when they invested so much for one generation of gaming. They tried to do everything at once put themselves in a hole now I have to play a 2005 console for 3-5 more years thats lame.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
I can't say I'm saddened by this: every new console means a new set of TRC to adapt to. And lots of non-backward-compatible games!