Splinter Cell Could Come to the PS3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Splinter Cell Could Come to the PS3

Despite all the noise Ubisoft made last year about the strength of its partnership with Microsoft, Splinter Cell: Conviction [http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Conviction-Xbox-360/dp/B000SQ5LQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694472&sr=1-1] Creative Director Max Beland said that ultimately, the franchise will go where the money is - including to the PS3.

Developed for the Xbox 360 and PC, Splinter Cell: Conviction was described by Ubisoft as a "true Microsoft exclusive," thanks in large part to the "really strong partnership" between the two companies. "We've been working with Microsoft for a while now," Ubisoft Montreal Producer Alexandre Parizeau said last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95016-Splinter-Cell-Conviction-is-Meant-for-the-Xbox-360]. "We've been working with their engineers - we've had super good feedback from them on all sorts of different things. It's been a really good partnership with them."

But times, and hearts, do change. While it's unlikely that Conviction will ever end up on the PS3, there's a fair likelihood that some future Splinter Cell release will; the exclusivity deal between Sony [http://www.ubi.com] wants to get in on the action at that point, Beland doesn't see any reason why it shouldn't.

"I'm not involved in the business deals. I joined Splinter Cell after the exclusivity deal with Microsoft had already been signed, but there's no reason why Splinter Cell couldn't be on the PS3," he said in an interview with Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/splinter-cell-may-have-a-future-on-ps3]. "Conviction? No, because of the exclusivity deal. I know people keep talking about maybe, maybe not, [but] at Ubisoft Montreal I haven't seen anyone working on PS3 for Conviction."

"[The next game] is open to new deals," he continued. "If Microsoft wants an exclusivity deal, they don't call me, it's Yves [Guillemot, Ubisoft CEO] dealing with the business people. But yeah, I guess we could even be a PS3 exclusive if there's a deal that makes people happy there."

Regardless of what platform it ends up on, Beland said the next Splinter Cell game will probably be turned around quicker than Conviction thanks to Ubi's overall strategy to speed up franchise releases. "I'm not telling you that yes, in a year you'll have another Splinter Cell," he said. "But right now the direction Yves gave us and where the company is going to go is, at one point, if the direction doesn't change, yes you're going to be seeing Splinter Cell games, just like Assassin's Creed [http://assassinscreed.uk.ubi.com/] games, just like anything else, released a little bit more often."

Splinter Cell: Conviction is currently scheduled for release on April 13.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Well they burned the PC community so they're fleeing to PS3. Well we don't take too kindly to people who abuse our PC friends around these here parts ubisoft. We just want valve games now.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Now I'm a happy man. I loved Chaos Theory. Hopefully this will kick ass.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Seems fair. I'd welcome it, just so long as they don't destroy the franchise.

Calumon: Playing here and playing there, I really don't know why they care!

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
I thought it would be inevitable that the franchise would come to the PS3, I mean it's just Ubisoft wanting to make more money, hence them suggesting a PS3 deal.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Well, whatever. I'm still buying it on the 360, so eh, doesn't affect me. It'll probably be just some half assed port.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nothing wrong with brancing out a little. Good for gamers and companies alike!

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
Donnyp said:
OT: So.....MGS rip off is coming to PS3......yay?
So because they both have secret agents and stealth? I guess Mass Effect is ripoff of Halo then, since both have human military in space and involve shooting... Anways, I don't know how I feel about this new quick release strategy of Ubisoft. AC2 came out quick enough I think but had the time for polish. SC:C will (hopefully) be great because it's had enough development time. To push more games out faster just for the sake of speedy releases seems like a foolhardy move.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Donnyp said:
Ninjamedic said:
Well they burned the PC community so they're fleeing to PS3. Well we don't take too kindly to people who abuse our PC friends around these here parts ubisoft. We just want valve games now.
Us ps3 users don't take kindly to people who abuse us lol. Even though i love valves games i hate them for the remarks the company owner has said about the PS3.

Snake's mustache is awesome. But Sam's sweater is awesom...er. Yeah :)

Anyway, for those who might like to play Splinter Cell games on the PS3, this is kinda good news.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Even if I had a PS3, I wouldn't buy Splinter Cell for it, or on any other platform - Ubisoft has earned themselves a big fat universal boycott until the end of freaking time or the complete abandonment of their insultingly anti-consumer DRM system (whichever is sooner).

Which is too bad, since I rather enjoyed Splinter Cell - just not as much as I enjoy righteous indignation.

Donnyp said:
Rayjay06 said:
Donnyp said:
So because they both have secret agents and stealth? I guess Mass Effect is ripoff of Halo then, since both have human military in space and involve shooting.
And RPGs are a ripoff off of D&D. No. Sam Fisher is just a lame Technology reliant snake. Snake is a skilled infiltrator who relies on his skills in the battle field and Sam is dildo who uses his technology to hide from enemies until he can strike. Tee-Hee.
The Tee-Hee makes me question your sincerity, but there is no part of that paragraph before it that doesn't smack of blatant fanboy bullcrap.

Fisher's 'technology' helps him remain aware of and neutralize the people trying to see him, it doesn't keep him hidden - he uses 'technology' to hide exactly like say... Garrett from Thief does: not at all. You hide by hiding, all the suit does is measure ambient light and sound levels so you know how good of a job you are doing at remaining hidden (like say... the immersion breaking and silly looking detection icons from Metal Gear do).

In contrast, we have Solid Snake, who wears an extremely similar outfit, employs similar technology (though not quite so many nifty little toys) and sneaks around inside a bloody cardboard box. No matter how much you might love the Metal Gear series, you cannot tell me that isn't completely and utterly ridiculous.

It's a lot harder to take Metal Gear seriously when enemies have little ! floating over their heads and cardboard boxes are an effective implement of stealth - at least Splinter Cell sticks to the bounds of reality and things a human could reasonably accomplish for the most part.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Donnyp said:
Ninjamedic said:
Us ps3 users don't take kindly to people who abuse us lol. Even though i love valves games i hate them for the remarks the company owner has said about the PS3.

i agree with you, these devs rip on consoles or PCs and then expect love when they say "OHH well thats a great platform, we would love to release games on it" No actually you can go fuck off! I dont want MGS rip offs on PS3. d

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We've been working with their engineers - we've had super good feedback from them on all sorts of different things. It's been a really good partnership with them."
Wow, super good feedback? Then it must have been really, really good; a partnership to last the ages. Reminds me of Gabe :p.

As for SC: Don't really like the games, good to see them being more open minded though. All I care they should rather put more effort into the games than planning ahead of time and releasing them more frequently.

Gildan Bladeborn said:
It's a lot harder to take Metal Gear seriously when enemies have little ! floating over their heads and cardboard boxes are an effective implement of stealth - at least Splinter Cell sticks to the bounds of reality and things a human could reasonably accomplish for the most part.
That's exactly why I prefer MGS: It isn't that serious about shit being realistic. SC just seems like the people behind it were too uptight about it, it seems like a cheap Jason Bourne clone. It doesn't really have an identity, everything could happen in your standard movie. MGS is ridiculous and embraces it, much more fun that way. Gta 4 had the same problem: Realism isn't very beneficial in most video games.

As for realism: I remember his wall jump being absolutely ridiculous. That was all the way back when the first came out, so maybe they changed it.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Donnyp said:
Don't worry Darksiders Dantes Inferno and Beyonetta are 100% unique.
At least those arent made by douche bags who sign exclusivity deals and then realize they could've made more money by releasing it on the PS3.