Sony Files Patent for "Eroding" Game Demo Technology

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Files Patent for "Eroding" Game Demo Technology

Sony [http://www.sony.com] has filed a patent application for "feature eroding videogame demonstration software," a new type of game demo that starts players with the complete package but then gradually takes features away over time.

Game demos are a tricky business. Potential audiences need a healthy taste of what's in store, but there needs to be some kind of incentive to actually buy the game, too. Developers have to consider what to include, what to change and what to leave out entirely in the never-ending quest for that "leave 'em wanting more" sweet spot. But Sony appears to be working on a different kind of approach to the demo: Give players absolutely everything and then take it away from them, a little bit at a time.

A new patent filing [http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220100056269%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20100056269&RS=DN/20100056269] by Sony describes a demo distribution method in which games are released in their entirety and then, by way of various "trigger metrics," gradually disabled through the removal of levels, items, abilities and other game features. A demo that makes use of the technology "permits a more complete game experience while promoting a desire to acquire permission to continue playing," the patent application says.

"While a user may initially experience most or all of the full version of the game in a demonstration mode, the mode implements trigger metrics to erode game play characteristics, such as character, object, event and/or environmental features, during game play in the demonstration mode," it continues. "As the gamer loses functionality, the user may be prompted with the trigger metrics to purchase permission to continue the game in a non-demonstration mode that disables the trigger metrics and returns the game to the more complete version."

As an example, Sony suggests that the top speed of cars in racing games could be reduced over the course of successive gaming sessions, or that the "finish event" of a race could be disabled, allowing the player to drive the track indefinitely but be unable to complete an actual race.

It's an interesting idea with one glaring flaw: How to keep people from re-enabling the "eroded" game features on their own. It seems to me that unless the piracy issue can be resolved, passing around a fully-functional version of a videogame, trigger metrics or not, is just asking for trouble.

via: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/04/sony-patents-degradable-video-game-demos/]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Good idea, probably not going too work, but glad too see someone trying in a way that doesn't hurt people

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
On consoles it might work. But if the games and technology would be used on the PC, or by other services, like Steam, it would surely be bypassed.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I can't be the only one who finds it hilarious that Sony equates "amount of features" with "size of sword."

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
John Funk said:
I can't be the only one who finds it hilarious that Sony equates "amount of features" with "size of sword."
Oh I just nearly fell out of my chair laughing *Offers high five too John*

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I prefer the normal way of doing it. I'm pissed that the JC2 demo has got 2 missions, yet I've only got 30 minutes to unlock and complete it.

And are they actually saying they start off by providing the entire game? That can't be right...

Also, demo's should include the features of (but not totally be) a section from the actual game, to save people replaying the same parts after purchase.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So, for a 15gb game, instead of downloading a 1gb demo and play through a few varied missions, we download a 15gb demo that allows us to sit through the intro?

Fuck that.

Also, what's preventing them from shutting down features in the full game when a sequel rolls out? Hey, liked that rocket launcher in game X? Better go buy game Y because we just removed it from X.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Asehujiko said:
So, for a 15gb game, instead of downloading a 1gb demo and play through a few varied missions, we download a 15gb demo that allows us to sit through the intro?

Fuck that.

Also, what's preventing them from shutting down features in the full game when a sequel rolls out? Hey, liked that rocket launcher in game X? Better go buy game Y because we just removed it from X.
Hmm I smell ulterior motives...

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
That's just the stupidest idea ever, when you use like 1h downloading a freakin demo, you don't want it to just gradually get away! DUH! that's like the Mercs 2 or Just Cause 2 crap with their 30 minutes limit (although that was thoughtful)

why not control online what gamers are playing huh?

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
It's a very good idea. Sometimes I don't buy games because I don't know how goodd they are because they will leave a lot out in the demo. If you start with everything and gradually see it disapear in front of you you will know what you are missing out on. I would then be inclined to buy the game.

I can see also many flaws. PC gamers might hack them somehow. The downloads will be massive and many others. If it works and it's practicle then I look forward to this type of demo.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not to mention the fact that this is yet another idea that relies on making the internet a requirement for gaming. I do not want to have to be online all the time, and without doing it that way, I can't see this idea being practical.

I don't play many game demos and such as it is, but I see this as going in the direction of say Ubisoft's latest DRM scheme. Really it would be nice if the industry would just knock it off given the amounts of money they are making DESPITE their claims of piracy. Either that or if the gaming consumer base would actually stop buying stuff while they keep going with all of this security and what not... instead of whining and then buying it anyway... which is why we're not taken seriously.

Simply put the way how this seems is basically internet connected malware. "Hi guys, why don't you download this demo to try our game, which we've intentionally loaded with self destructive code...".

I can't wait until someone releases a demo like this and makes a mistake (probably some fly by night producer using the tech without fully understanding it) and it winds up eating people's systems rather than just the game.

Overall this is just as mature as game developers intentionally releasing pirate copies of their games loaded with viruses to "teach people a lesson".

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I can see it now...
in a stealth game like say... Splinter Cell 5...
you're going through a corridor, carefully moving from shadow to shadow, when all of the sudden... ALL of the shadows just vanish. Leaving you exposed to the pair of guards you were trying to get the jump on.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Meh, this will probably never see the light of day, just junior exec at Sony filling out a patent application to help their promotion prospects.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
An intresting concept...fresh, and I suppose will stop people palying demos over and over but...what is the point?

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I try to avoid pessimism over such things. It's new, it an idea, I support new ideas.

Yet this is seriously over complicating a simple demo. The whole 'play a bit, win a bit, want to play more to win more' aspect is completely removed and the game itself is convoluted into an unmotivating, "You can play, but you are going to lose. You will first lose your sword, then your team, and now you are going to lose the goal line, you loser. Now go pay for the damn game."

I would much rather prefer the simple, 'play and beat the short demo level' or 'play until the time is up' than 'play until everything is gradually ripped from my fingers'. I can equate it to a little girl being handed a My Little Pony, then letting her watch in horror as the little comb accessories disappear, then the pony's tail is ripped off, followed by the mane, then the head. Until she is left with this toy corpse. Then encourage her to buy her own.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
This looked like a good idea, but then I remembered that pirates could simply remove the triggers.

Oh man. That sucks.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Sony would commit ritual suicide by making this into a reality. While there's more to pirating this than mounting a simple image, I know for a fact that there are legions of coders out there who would maul this system overnight.

Sony could turn the tables on them by including a registry-killing virus in the code that only activates when the entire package is unlocked. I would love that.