186: Violently Happy

bathshebaP

Jan 30, 2009
Good aricle. I think that the dark side of US is really happy when it can kill so harmlessly in a video game, hense the smiling marios of the gaming world, but is that happy?

bathshebaP

Jan 30, 2009
bathshebaP said:
Good aricle. I think that the dark side of US is really happy when it can kill so harmlessly in a video game, hense the smiling marios of the gaming world, but is that happy?

clericsdaughter

Apr 8, 2007
What about Team Fortress 2? Never before have I seen such glee on the faces of people doing so much killing (and dying). Who cares if you become one of the fallen? The very next moment, you'll be spinning up your minigun again and yelling "CRY COWARDS! BOO HOO HOO!"

And don't tell me that it's ultimately sad because no one can rest in peace or truly kill their enemy, because they live forever in a neverending cycle of violence, death and renewal. The ancient Vikings considered that to be Paradise.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Marcus's face wasn't meant to be pulled into such a gruesome position. But overall, I think the only games that give the type of happiness you speak of are E-rated games.

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
clericsdaughter said:
What about Team Fortress 2? Never before have I seen such glee on the faces of people doing so much killing (and dying). Who cares if you become one of the fallen? The very next moment, you'll be spinning up your minigun again and yelling "CRY COWARDS! BOO HOO HOO!"

And don't tell me that it's ultimately sad because no one can rest in peace or truly kill their enemy, because they live forever in a neverending cycle of violence, death and renewal. The ancient Vikings considered that to be Paradise.
Even if you die, you'll most likely get to see an epic moment where all your intestines and limbs are flying all directions in front of an enemy. Doesn't get funnier - some happiness is to be found here, in pure mindless (nearly innocent, even though very bloody) killing :p.

Anyways.. more happiness is to be found in games like The World Ends With You. The main character makes friends and un-emos himself in the process.

warbaloon

Aug 11, 2009
Moria was my favorite character...when I started the game I didn't want to destroy megaton because of her.

This article reminds me a lot of moral choice games (specifically kotor) where to be evil you have to be cold and rude to everyone. The only evil action that I actually enjoyed taking was forcing people to kill themselves with force persuasion in the second one.

Too few games try to leave the characters enjoyment of the experience they are going through even when it involves life and death situations. Naturally not all characters can be people that embark on epic quests because they thought it would be fun, but that archetype seems to be ignored.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
God, am i the only one who wears at least jeans when he is alone at home and/or playing games?