Reggie: Nintendo Not Ready for a Wii 2 Just Yet

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Reggie: Nintendo Not Ready for a Wii 2 Just Yet

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has flatly denied that the console manufacturer will be working on its next hardware generation anytime soon.

It's no secret that Nintendo's Wii is well behind the curve of its competitors when it comes to graphics this console generation. This has led to rather persistent rumors that the company was secretly developing a "Wii HD" or "Wii 2" - a console that would continue developing Nintendo's motion-control core while supporting modern, high-definition graphics of the type seen in God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII.

According to Nintendo of America big cheese Reggie Fils-Aime, the development of a successor console isn't very high on Nintendo's priority list at the moment. "[W]hen the software developer comes forward with an idea that can't be executed on the current platform, that's when we start thinking seriously about the next system," Fils-Aime told Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/09/wii-xbox-playstation-technology-business-intelligence-nintendo.html]. "We're not there yet, from a Wii perspective."

In all fairness, the man has a point: With some of the first "hardcore" MotionPlus titles like Red Steel 2 due this year - not to mention heavy hitters like Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda and Metroid: Other M - the Wii is looking to have a very strong 2010. While I believe Fils-Aime that Nintendo isn't working on a new Wii, though, that doesn't mean that it hasn't started thinking about one. You don't get to be the leader in the industry without considering years in advance.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wii 2 needs a few things things:

HD

No Friend Codes

Backwards support for games bought on Wii Shop. To keep purchases from being useless and all.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well...I assume they think that since its got he market with the "Casual" gamer dosnt really need to change the forumla...well, not just yet anyway.

At the end of the day...I think its too soon for any of them, if you think about times that consoles are generally out before a successor arrives.

Look at the PS2

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Jaredin said:
Well...I assume they think that since its got he market with the "Casual" gamer dosnt really need to change the forumla...well, not just yet anyway.

At the end of the day...I think its too soon for any of them, if you think about times that consoles are generally out before a successor arrives.

Look at the PS2
The PS2 is STILL having a few games made for it, too, so that means the previous console generation still isn't quite over yet either, technically.

I tend to agree though; the current hardware should still be good for another couple of years or so, I'd guess.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Why would nitendo need a new Wii? Until the console starts selling less that roughly 3 billion copys a minite there's very little point. It'd take away from time spent rolling in money.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
oooooooo, a shiny gold plated wii console...uhh wait what this article about?
Oh yeah, I think Nintendo will be the first one to come out with a "next gen" console when the time comes. Microsoft and Sony probably can keep the 360 and PS3 going 2 years after the Wii 2 is launched if not longer. One thing is for sure, Nintendo is deffinetly the weakest of the consoles.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
John Funk said:
"[W]hen the software developer comes forward with an idea that can't be executed on the current platform, that's when we start thinking seriously about the next system,"
Maybe they aren't coming to you because they've already given up, Reggie.

I mean, I can see his point and there are some very attractive Wii titles out there, but to base your hardware development on whether outside developers come to you and essentially complain is a rather silly way to do things. This is even more true when you have as hot and cold a relationship with outside devs as Nintendo does.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
John Funk said:
"[W]hen the software developer comes forward with an idea that can't be executed on the current platform, that's when we start thinking seriously about the next system,"
Maybe they aren't coming to you because they've already given up, Reggie.

I mean, I can see his point and there are some very attractive Wii titles out there, but to base your hardware development on whether outside developers come to you and essentially complain is a rather silly way to do things. This is even more true when you have as hot and cold a relationship with outside devs as Nintendo does.
And yet they're winning. After a decade of not being number 1. After a decade of losing to Sony and also Microsoft. Now they're on top again. Despite doing things that apparently everyone on this forum disagrees with (gross exaggeration, I know)

cool story, bro (edit: what the hell was I thinking, typing that)

Anyway I don't see a reason for Nintendo to need to make a successor to the Wii either, just like I really don't see the need for 5 iterations of the DS. They really need to slow down on that front.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
not profitable enough to update graphics when they ares still making a nice profit on the wii.
friggin giving reason for consoles to not strive to look better.
but hey, next gaming machine i'm getting is a glorious master race PC for BF3.
when that comes.
in a few years.
sigh.

cirej2000

Apr 2, 2009
I don't think that moving to HD will be cost prohibitive at all for the Wii. Look at how much the 360 and PS3 have dropped in price. Going into the next generation with a price tag of $250 should be doable for 720p if not 1080p (just guessing here). I heard mention once about 2 years ago that the circuitry to enable the Wii to fully support 720p was about $10 per Wii. Not that much until you consider that it would put the price at $260 at launch or it would cost Nintendo a couple hundred million for the first couple of years if they didn't raise the price to offset the expense.

Anyways, all of the recent round of doom and gloom for the Wii will be offset by Metroid, Mario and possibly Zelda this year. This will be the first Wii only Zelda so it could push a couple of systems here and there. Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri and (maybe if it stays exclusive) Epic Mickey are just icing.

I expect to hear about the Wii 2 from Nintendo starting next year, though. It'll be going on year 5 of the Wii...by then all of the motion controlled advantages and fitness craze stuff will be copied to the 360 and PS3. And how many more big Nintendo franchises do they have planned for the next 2 years? It'd be nice if they had Pikmin, Star Fox, FX Zero and Kid Icarus in the works...but, it's Nintendo. And why wouldn't they load the gun for the new platform anyways.

Just make sure it's as backwards compatible as the Wii (Wii, Gamecube and Virtual Console) or it'll be a dumb move. And come ready for Online gaming in the real world!

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I think we'll be seeing Nintendo's next system around Q4 of 2012. There's still some heavy support coming from developers, and with the Vitality Sensor on the horizon it seems that there's still some life in the Wii.

cirej2000 said:
I don't think that moving to HD will be cost prohibitive at all for the Wii. Look at how much the 360 and PS3 have dropped in price.
Aren't they still losing money per sale though? Nintendo always makes sure to profit from each console sold.

cirej2000

Apr 2, 2009
Now that, I can't answer. I've heard the "Sony turns the corner on PS3 profitability" about 18 months or so ago. And maybe they did, but the price drops might've erased them. A big part of their costs were the production costs, not necessarily the parts. And I guess that through improved procurement and manufacturing processes they changed that. But price drops probably ate away the profits.

But, remember how quickly electronic components drop in price. What was expensive 5 years ago is pretty dirt cheap today...if it still is even relevant. And a big part of Sony's costs for the PS3 was the Blu-Ray drive.

Maybe the backward compatibility part of a Wii2 would be potentially cost prohibitive if the hardware moves drastically away from the GC/Wii Architecture. But the HD stuff probably could be done for less. Again, this is just guesswork based on what I've read about the costs. Just for entertainment purposes only! ;)

DrDeath3191 said:
I think we'll be seeing Nintendo's next system around Q4 of 2012. There's still some heavy support coming from developers, and with the Vitality Sensor on the horizon it seems that there's still some life in the Wii.

cirej2000 said:
I don't think that moving to HD will be cost prohibitive at all for the Wii. Look at how much the 360 and PS3 have dropped in price.
Aren't they still losing money per sale though? Nintendo always makes sure to profit from each console sold.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
If they do make one, it MUST have these functions:
1. HD graphics that rival the 360's/PS3's or better if possible.
2. Backwards compatability to ALL Nintendo consoles (including handhelds :D)
3. No friendcodes, just use usernames like XBL and PSN.

Imagine the look of the Wii 2, it would be riddled with all sorts of slots for the different consoles' games, try make that look nice, Nintendo. XD

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
I heard they're working on the Puu instead. Sorry, had to be said. Why would nintendo even try and bother with HD? It's not really a scene I thought they were ever that big on, perhaps I'm just ignorant, but to me it seems like a family gaming/party peice, and I don't ever see Graphics being a big thing to those two areas. Just my views, don't hate me bro'!

A.C.E

Mar 3, 2010
ssgt splatter said:
oooooooo, a shiny gold plated wii console...uhh wait what this article about?
Oh yeah, I think Nintendo will be the first one to come out with a "next gen" console when the time comes. Microsoft and Sony probably can keep the 360 and PS3 going 2 years after the Wii 2 is launched if not longer. One thing is for sure, Nintendo is deffinetly the weakest of the consoles.
agreed ive owned a wii and now its been collecting dust in my basement for about a year now

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if the next console generation had expansion slots so they can stop making entire new gen's and instead go the PC route and have generations of updates instead of clear cut generations.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
y does it matter, Nintendo tapped the market that's letting them print money and it isn't gamers, and only gamers care about graphics.

clammy

Mar 10, 2010
A.C.E said:
agreed ive owned a wii and now its been collecting dust in my basement for about a year now
WOW!! A *whole* 15 posts about a wii story before some fanboy troll wades in with his "gathering dust" post!

The trolls are slipping!

Now how long before the "i sold mine after x months" post? I bet with the next 10...