Reggie: Nintendo Not Ready for a Wii 2 Just Yet

In Limbo

Nov 4, 2008
Reggie's statements are obviously PR spin to keep people interested in the Wii. If Nintendo plan on releasing a successor to the Wii in the next five years they've already started working on it.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Are you kidding? You NEED A Wii 2. Just make it backwards compatable and STOP BREAKING MY HEART NINTENDO!

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
ssgt splatter said:
oooooooo, a shiny gold plated wii console...uhh wait what this article about?
Oh yeah, I think Nintendo will be the first one to come out with a "next gen" console when the time comes. Microsoft and Sony probably can keep the 360 and PS3 going 2 years after the Wii 2 is launched if not longer. One thing is for sure, Nintendo is deffinetly the weakest of the consoles.
The ps3 and 360 were both built to last a 10-year console generation, so nintendo would more than likely just be "catching up" for the remainder of this generation.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
clammy said:
A.C.E said:
agreed ive owned a wii and now its been collecting dust in my basement for about a year now
WOW!! A *whole* 15 posts about a wii story before some fanboy troll wades in with his "gathering dust" post!

The trolls are slipping!

Now how long before the "i sold mine after x months" post? I bet with the next 10...
I don't think he's trolling, there are many of us wii owners who have been pretty disapointed lately. i honestly went a whole year and a half without touching my wii, in between super mario galaxy and no more heroes 2. the only thing that's keeping me from selling it is other M.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Damn, does every one of Nintendo's business strategies actually make sense. Everything they've done recently just smells of planning, forethought, and well thought out consideration concerning both hardware and software capabilities. They've even thought to include things that might not be worth it, like the hidden gamecube function of being able to play things in 3D, even though they never used it.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
MacDonaldFin said:
If they do make one, it MUST have these functions:
1. HD graphics that rival the 360's/PS3's or better if possible.
2. Backwards compatability to ALL Nintendo consoles (including handhelds :D)
3. No friendcodes, just use usernames like XBL and PSN.
D
And you say this based on what? From what I can tell they have none of those things and still lead the market by a large margin. And as far as I can tell Mega Man X has 8 bit graphics and is scoring around 80% on metacritic.

Face it, most people don't care about how graphically impressive a game is, as long as it has decent mechanics and does what it's supposed to do. Plants Vs Zombies, Bejeweled 2 on the iPhone, farmville, the thirty or forty versions of peggle, etc etc I could give you a bunch of examples of how casual players make the bulk of the market and don't care about the things you mentioned at all. Hell, even WoW has shitty graphics if you're aiming for HD.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
ark123 said:
MacDonaldFin said:
If they do make one, it MUST have these functions:
1. HD graphics that rival the 360's/PS3's or better if possible.
2. Backwards compatability to ALL Nintendo consoles (including handhelds :D)
3. No friendcodes, just use usernames like XBL and PSN.
And you say this based on what? From what I can tell they have none of those things and still lead the market by a large margin. And as far as I can tell Mega Man X has 8 bit graphics and is scoring around 80% on metacritic.

Face it, most people don't care about how graphically impressive a game is, as long as it has decent mechanics and does what it's supposed to do. Plants Vs Zombies, Bejeweled 2 on the iPhone, farmville, the thirty or forty versions of peggle, etc etc I could give you a bunch of examples of how casual players make the bulk of the market and don't care about the things you mentioned at all. Hell, even WoW has shitty graphics if you're aiming for HD.
I totally agree. But the only reason I mentioned HD is well, everybody would be expecting it from a next-next gen console(if thats what you would call it.) But oh well, if HD isn't in a Wii 2(if there is going to be one) then I'm not fussed. XD

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Wii 2 needs a few things things:

HD

No Friend Codes

Backwards support for games bought on Wii Shop. To keep purchases from being useless and all.
I foresee... a world where the Wii has PS3-quality graphics and XBL-like online, just with a LOT more 8-year olds and maybe a little less swearing (unless you're playing Mario Kart, naturally).

It is an oddly comforting world.

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
Craftybonds said:
clammy said:
A.C.E said:
agreed ive owned a wii and now its been collecting dust in my basement for about a year now
WOW!! A *whole* 15 posts about a wii story before some fanboy troll wades in with his "gathering dust" post!

The trolls are slipping!

Now how long before the "i sold mine after x months" post? I bet with the next 10...
I don't think he's trolling, there are many of us wii owners who have been pretty disapointed lately. i honestly went a whole year and a half without touching my wii, in between super mario galaxy and no more heroes 2. the only thing that's keeping me from selling it is other M.
This is very true. I've played my PS2 far more frequently than my Wii, once I buy myself a PS3, I'm probably going to have to sell the Wii and just stop avoiding the inevitable. The only reason the Wii is still in my house is because I haven't bought No More Heroes 2 yet. Once I finish playing that, and I complete the next Legend of Zelda game I don't see any reason the keep the thing.

Unless more interesting games come out in that time

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
AceDiamond said:
StriderShinryu said:
John Funk said:
"[W]hen the software developer comes forward with an idea that can't be executed on the current platform, that's when we start thinking seriously about the next system,"
Maybe they aren't coming to you because they've already given up, Reggie.

I mean, I can see his point and there are some very attractive Wii titles out there, but to base your hardware development on whether outside developers come to you and essentially complain is a rather silly way to do things. This is even more true when you have as hot and cold a relationship with outside devs as Nintendo does.
And yet they're winning. After a decade of not being number 1. After a decade of losing to Sony and also Microsoft. Now they're on top again. Despite doing things that apparently everyone on this forum disagrees with (gross exaggeration, I know)

cool story, bro (edit: what the hell was I thinking, typing that)

Anyway I don't see a reason for Nintendo to need to make a successor to the Wii either, just like I really don't see the need for 5 iterations of the DS. They really need to slow down on that front.
That's exactly it though, they are winning in terms of sales. They could simply say "Hey, we're doing pretty well as it stands" or "We don't see any need for a new system right now" or "The Wii is allowing us to do everything we want to do in our games." It's pretty clear that their success has no real connection to how outside developers (other than shovelware developers) are seeing them. Even given the huge audience out there with Wiis sitting in their homes, 3rd party developers are pretty much avoiding the Wii like the plague.

I totally agree with you on the DS issue, and I'm actually surprised that they aren't doing more of that with the Wii. Why hasn't there been a new sku with the Motion Plus in the package and a few new colours? It's almost strange how they milk their handhelds for everything they've got (and have done so since the original Gameboy) yet don't really do the same with their consoles except for periodic colour releases.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sir John The Net Knight said:
So I guess Nintendo is winning. After all what gamers really want is wii-sports knock offs, game show licenses and tons of shovelware starring Hannah Montana.
Well, if winning equals making the most money, there is no question that they are winning. If winning equals making some very fine, if not exactly innovative, games on their own then they're doing pretty well. If winning, however, means appealing to the majority of dedicated gamers (like me, and I can safely assume yourself) then they are very clearly not winning.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Very strong titles, indeed: another Mario, another Zelda, another Metriod. Ugh.

I wonder if people are payed to act surprised when these games are announced every other year.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I call bullcrap. No way is Nintendo NOT working on new systems. You know how many prototypes there were between the GBA and the DS. Like 3! Same for every other system update. I'm sure they're testing and designing new hardware right now. They just don't want us to know about it.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Man I have to post this image in every Wii thread

Xbox and PS3 are still causing their parent companies to bleed money. Wii has been a profit center from day 1. What game for for either system offers the fun of Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart, or the immersion of Metroid?

The X(ploding)Box is aimed squarely and basement dwellers, adolescents and frat boys(who self identify as "true gamers"). God knows who the PS3 market is, people with too much money?

The Wii is the system for people with friends and families. My wife uses Wii Fit and other exercise games. Wii doesn't need a "live" because it is meant to be played by people in the same room, not by people calling each other fags on their headsets in between mouthfuls of cheetos. I can get 4 people together playing Mario Kart or Rayman Rabids. What games are there for the other systems that people of all ages can play on the same screen together and enjoy?

When the Wii came out about 10% of everyone had hi def televisions, it doesn't need fancy graphics because gameplay is what people who grew up gaming want. So what if 3rd party developers don't get it? So what if only 5 or 6 good games a year come out for it. I don't have time to play more than 3 or 4 games a year if I'm lucky, I have a life.

I love my Wii and wouldn't give it up for anything.

clammy

Mar 10, 2010
Mad Stalin said:
clammy said:
seems a bit silly to register just to say that
I've been lurking for a LOOOONG while.

And it seems to me that whenever there's a thread about the Wii, no matter how positive, i.e. it could be a review saying "this game is the best on any platform bar none" .. within 20 posts or so you'll get some 'tard who has never even owned a Wii posting "my Wii has been gathering dust forever" (or similar).. or "Wow a good game at last - maybe i shouldn't have sold my Wii?"

It's just a bit tired and predictable.

clammy

Mar 10, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
I'm sure they're testing and designing new hardware right now. They just don't want us to know about it.
Of course they dont! The minute they announce they're working on something new - sales of the current system will drop.

That'd be dumb considering how well it's selling (still)!

Bosola

Mar 6, 2010
I just can't see this being a worthwhile investment for Nintendo. The company has made its money specifically by avoiding generalism, and trying to build console that targets a specific group of players - families and 'social' gamers - as opposed to those who would either play the sorts of games that demand high-tech hardware (FPSes and racers) or make graphics a priority. As is, those groups gravitate towards the PS3, and the 360. A 'high-power' Wii would be a halfway house that would convince no-one - neither the Wii Sports-enthralled 'social players', nor those who have already thrown their lot in with consoles dedicated to FPS/racer franchises. It would be an expensive venture, with little, if any benefit.