Civilization V Offers New Strategic Combat

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Civilization V Offers New Strategic Combat

As with each Civ sequel, the diplomacy system received an overhaul. "Leaders in Civ V are bigger than life, they pull you into the scene like never before and speak their own language, Shirk said. "You might meet Napoleon on the battlefield, or Gandhi on a cliff overlooking the sea." The AI has more at its disposal and will be able to sense units on its borders or that you are expanding too quickly.

A new addition is city-states. "City-states are small NPCs that are scattered throughout the world. They're not trying to win the game, they never grow beyond a single city. But they make stuff happen in the world," Shirk said. For example, Budapest was a city-state in the demo and by talking to them, you had the option of helping them out against barbarians with gold or units. Doing so raises your friendship level which means that they might gift you with units or aid in scientific research. "Different city-states grant different things," Shirk said. A more militaristic city-state might ask you to attack a neighbor or a weaker state might be attacked and ask you to defend them. Of course, there's always the option to simply take them over and add the city to your civ.

The lead designer of Civilization V is Jon Shafer, who made his name as a prominent mod maker for Civ games. It's no surprise then that Civ V will boast the most extensive modding tools ever available. Firaxis realized though that not many casual Civ fans know that such a vibrant mod community exists, so they are adding a way to browse for mods directly in-game. The mod browser will allow users to scan for mods by popularity with a built-in rating system, as well as give Firaxis the ability to feature mods on an ongoing schedule. Modders will be able to solicit comments and questions by linking to their fan pages on CivFanatics through an ingame web browser.

Overall, there are enough new features in Civ V to draw new fans to the series who may have only played Revolution or Colonization and enough of that classic Civ gameplay to make even hardcore fans excited for an update.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
They had me with a new grid.

And now no stacks?

This is the game that my life needs more than the air I breath, more than the food I eat, more than the water I drink.

Civ 5 is my game.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
This would probably be the first demo I'd consider downloading in years. I'm kinda glad they got rid of the religions. It just took up space on the tech tree and was a crucial factor in making your citizens happy, which just made it annoying imo

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Sweet merciful crap on toast!
I love the Civ games! I've been playing since Civ 1, and this looks to be shaping up to be the best yet!
Must...get...new...PC...

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Credge said:
They had me with a new grid.

And now no stacks?

This is the game that my life needs more than the air I breath, more than the food I eat, more than the water I drink.

Civ 5 is my game.
"You had me at Hex Grid."

SPOT DA REFERENCE.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I love every god damn aspect of this game so far. I thought Civ IV was close to perfection. This looks like it's going to be too perfect. Seriously, my sentient life comes to a close this Fall.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Is there a mistake?

One iron resource means you can make one iron-usage unit (e.g. swordsman)?

The only way I could see this working is if resources were far more common. Unless it's to increase trade use...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems like they are makingalot of improvements to the game. I cant say I am complainging. It will be nice to seee what can be thrown into the mix...as long as it does not upset the overall formula!

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Damn, this is likely the only game that would force me to upgrade my PC to play... I love Civ games, and the improvement to combat would be so welcome.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
When I read this a little bit of wee came out. I played so much Civ 4 it was untrue. This sounds like the game I was born to play.

Now I'm in tears as I know my laptop won't be able to run it. It only run blood bowl after I slashed all of the visual details.

I need this game but probably will never get to play it...

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Feb 13, 2008
Ah, Civilization.

So many times have you promised.
So many times have you let me down.
So many hours have I wasted anyway.

Will you re-achieve the perfection that you gained in 2, only to lose it to the hideous AI of 3?

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Civilization... Mmmm... One more thing to look forward to this year.
Gogo hex-grids!

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
Just make the god damn AI smarter.

Please.

I die a little bit inside when I see cities settled two off the coast.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
o_O

Must.Get.Game.

This is going to be amazing, but I am worried about the resource overhaul, if I was designing it I would have the resources just deplete and new ones appear. (Civ4/3 might do that, I can't remember)

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Awww I liked religions. Always rushing to get Christianity first, then shoving it down the throats of as many others as possible 88)

Sounds cool none the less, though I'm still waiting for Alpha Centauri 2 before I get totally giddy

Jun 6, 2009
No religion? Honestly I liked that system. Even though Isabella would always declare war on me because I wasn't a Buddhist.

And no stacks! THANK GOD, no matter what game I play I lose at least one city to a stack.