How Can Videogames Make Us Cry?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
How Can Videogames Make Us Cry?

Richard Rouse III, designer of The Suffering, listed five different tools that designers can use to elicit an emotional response in gamers.

Read Full Article

Jangles

Mar 12, 2010
Video games should be, at their core, novels where you can control the main character.

Take for example, Final Fantasy VII (Because I just loved it that much), the game was so amazing, not because of the turn-based combat, but because of the story telling elements.

Final Fantasy successfully familiarized the player with all the characters well enough so that when one of them died, Aeris for example, the player felt as if someone that they had known for more than 10 minutes had died.

Furthermore, Aeris was an extremely amiable character.

Most of the Final Fantasies, Lost Oddysey, and etc. Are the most ready examples of good story telling and tear evoking games.

- In conclusion we don't need a game developer telling us how to make good games, but a good writer.

guiltless

Feb 11, 2010
It didn't even have to be as drastic as Aeris I Was even upset when Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse died in the beginning of the game. But agreed Square Enix knows how to make you care about a character.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
The only things to make me almost cry are good TV shows, movies and books.

I am immune to video games because as soon as I hit reset, guess what? Everything is as it should be, no one has to die and everyone can hold hands and sing songs. Till I decide to watch said person die again and again, because clearly this person was a token thing meant to instill emotions into me.

Actually the only time I ever cared for a comrade in a video game was the dog in Fable 2, well played Peter Molyneux... well played.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
Reminiscence. The return to Shadow Moses in MGS4 made me cry after hearing all the flashbacks.

Something that makes me cry in games are when everybody seems to survive to the end, but then suddenly, right before making it out and saving the day, one or more of the characters are just ripped from the rest of the party. I just can't stand the thought that I made it out of there alive by only a few seconds and everyone behind me is dead.

Vigus92

Mar 13, 2010
I don't know about you, but I cried at the end of mgs3. When Snake was standing at the boss's grave, saluting her. The sad music that played and Evas speech really got to me.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
The same way movies can.

I've only had a few movies make me cry, but you become immersed and connected with the characters over the entire coarse of the game, so obviously, you will feel at least a bit saddened by whatever it is they go through.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Video games don't really make me cry, they do make sad and somtimes angry, but no video game has made me shed a tear over it.

jubosu

Aug 9, 2009
I cried when my Perfect Dark for the N64 stopped working...That was quite some time ago tho.

Ramen n' MaltLiquor

Jan 20, 2010
Jangles said:
Video games should be, at their core, novels where you can control the main character.

Take for example, Final Fantasy VII (Because I just loved it that much), the game was so amazing, not because of the turn-based combat, but because of the story telling elements.

Final Fantasy successfully familiarized the player with all the characters well enough so that when one of them died, Aeris for example, the player felt as if someone that they had known for more than 10 minutes had died.

Furthermore, Aeris was an extremely amiable character.

Most of the Final Fantasies, Lost Oddysey, and etc. Are the most ready examples of good story telling and tear evoking games.

- In conclusion we don't need a game developer telling us how to make good games, but a good writer.
The entire time I was reading the article I was thinking why haven't they mentioned Aeris dying. That is the only time I ever cried playing a game. I also cried again when I reloaded my game to make sure she had to die. I guess their right when they say denial is the first sage of grief.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
What can make me cry in a game? Moments like the final scene of Final Fantasy X, the end of Metal Gear Solid 4, A good ending for Ethan in Heavy Rain after you put him through every trial succesfuly.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I cry like a little girl who just saw her pet get killed every time I watch one of these from Lost Odyssey.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
When Anthony Carmine dies in Gears 2. I didn't even play the game! Just watched clips from youtube...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Fallout 3, Mr. Rouse? That game didn't make me cry. It made me angry. It made me think "this could've been game of the year, but the ending sucked so badly that I have to give this award to another game". It's the reason I wouldn't recommend anyone even consider the game without at least Broken Steel added on to it.

Bad example.

Apr 28, 2008
I cried when:

My dog died in Fable 2. I don't care if I get flamed. That part brought me to tears. I loved that dog, he was with me since the beginning, he always loved me, he died trying to protect me.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Cried?
No.
Shed a few tears? Yeah, happens sometimes. I only get that response from the same thing once, so I guess I must lack a soul.
So, instead of throwing tear jerkers at me, developers could try improving on gameplay. Possibly.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
I shed a few tears in Heavy Rain when you get to that really depressing second scene where it's just Ethan trying to make a connection with his kid and getting shut down essentially. Especially when he Ethan starts crying when he just wipes away the dust from his architecture plan. God that game is really sad at times.