Lack of Twilight Game Has Cost Industry Millions

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Lack of Twilight Game Has Cost Industry Millions

A financial analyst said that videogame publishers are missing out on a potential windfall from Twilight [http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Saga-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316038377/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1278964362&sr=1-1] fans.

We get it. People dig vampires, especially the cute emo ones found in Twilight. The books have been out since 2005 and the first movie was a box office success. And now with four books and two films under the franchise's belt, with another to drop this holiday season, Games Investor Consulting analyst Nick Gibson has reason to wonder why the videogame industry has dropped the ball. He thinks that a Twilight game would make at least seven figures, especially if it focused on the 20-30 year old female demographic.

"Given how hot a property it is, Twilight could easily present a seven-figure exploitation opportunity, especially if publishers look at taking it beyond retail gaming and considers network gaming," Gibson said.

He goes on to posit that the owners of the digital rights might not know that they are sitting on a potential goldmine. "It may well be that the rights holders aren't aware of the potential benefits as they haven't explored the games market before. It's not unheard of - although it is increasingly unusual in this day and age."

Realizing that there may be a backlash amongst more serious videogame fans, Gibson thinks a Twilight game would do well to appeal to female gamers:

Given the demographic Twilight appeals to, there probably isn't a huge crossover between them and Xbox 360 or PS3 fans. The brand's appeal could actually extend significantly beyond the expected teen girl market and into the 20- to 30-year-old female market, which has a very substantial crossover into gaming. There's a greater resonance with Wii and DS users.

Despite rumors of a Twilight [http://www.massively.com/2009/07/28/theres-a-er-twilight-mmo-coming/] MMOG in the works, the only game to bear the movie license is a version of Scene It.

I can't tell if that's a good or a bad thing.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38108/No-Twilight-game-has-lost-millions]

Feb 13, 2008
RUN...the mob are coming!!!

How would you do a Twilight game though? Just finding different adjectives and metaphors for Edward's face?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'm suprised Bobby Kotick isn't all over this if it's such a money maker, considering he's such a shameless profit-whore.

Though seriously, I think it's because most in the industry see through the twilight movies bullshit

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
RUN...the mob are coming!!!

How would you do a Twilight game though? Just finding different adjectives and metaphors for Edward's face?
I'm guessing it'd be some sort of action adventure, with puzzles and invented vamp/werewolf fights.

And they bleed rainbows.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
That's a terrible idea.
Some things just can't be made into video games. Or good ones, at least.
Twilight is one of those things.

But this guy isn't looking at quality, of course, he's looking at making money.
But I don't care. Terrible, terrible idea.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Twlight - The Video Game

Where you..errm...errr...do stuff.

Yeah totally

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Press X to cut wrist.

Press Start to twinkle.

... Press both shoulder buttons to hold the gun to your head and Y to put an end to your misery.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
[HEADING=2]THESE DIDN'T COME OUT TODAY.

I've seen them on shelves for months.[/HEADING]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Now comes the question. If you can make money from an idea, does that mean it is the right thing to do so?

On a slightly related matter next month there is a "Twilight day" at the cinema where I work. All employees are encouraged (read: forced) to get into the spirit of the event by dressing up, or participating in the fun and games. Therefore I shall go into work wearing...

<spoiler=This>http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sJmpiYbaE9E/SxZCXP1YAKI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/_N_o2cysXSw/s320/300.jpg

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sure make The Sims: Twilight and have Edward take a crap.

He always looks constipated anyway.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I think it's a good idea, take the millions and put it into other, better games.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
There's only one thing to say when thinking about a Twilight game, Twilight: Modern Warfare 2.
The horror.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
So what, they dont lose money off the production (in a year) of an abysmally mediocre movie-theme game (just like all games of that kind) that will get some good press (bribes) and massive bad reviews around the globe... and save the little sanity left in twilight fans.

If a was a devellopper or publisher, i wouldnt touch that title with a 10000 foot pole. My team has better things to do than a game destined for mediocrity.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Mackheath said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Now comes the question. If you can make money from an idea, does that mean it is the right thing to do so?

On a slightly related matter next month there is a "Twilight day" at the cinema where I work. All employees are encouraged (read: forced) to get into the spirit of the event by dressing up, or participating in the fun and games. Therefore I shall go into work wearing...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sJmpiYbaE9E/SxZCXP1YAKI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/_N_o2cysXSw/s320/300.jpg
I feel very sorry for you. Being forced to wear that piece of claptrap shite-stain.
Good sir you misunderstand. That shirt is, in fact, the supreme embodiment of awesome.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Lose 7 digit revenue, keep all self respect, be able to keep making games and not have your house burned down by everyone that isn't a twilight fan?. Thats a pretty good trade for in my opinion.

The twilight mmo is going to be shit enough, we don't need more.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
For there to be a game about something, doesn't there have to be conflict, goals, and/or a means of gauging success? From what little I know of Twilight it has none of these elements.

Maybe EA Sports can make vampire baseball and be done with it.

Nov 5, 2007
Dudes, just imagine this for a second. Twilight+Facebook+teenage girls=$$$
Let's make this shit happen and fill our pools with gold! GOLD!