Super Mario Galaxy 2 To Abandon "Hub World" For Map

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Super Mario Galaxy 2 To Abandon "Hub World" For Map

Unlike the past few 3D Mario games, Miyamoto has decided to abandon the "hub world" idea in SMG2 for a simple map like in Super Mario World.

Ever since Mario went 3D, the way that the player pick which level to go to next was a fully rendered hub world that had entrances to each "level" and which expanded based on your progression in the game. In Super Mario 64, the hub was Peach's castle and Mario could jump into paintings or unlock doors to find more levels. Super Mario Sunshine used Delfino Plaza and Super Mario Galaxy featured the Comet Observatory spaceship and its access to the 42 galaxies in the game. But with the direct sequel to Galaxy, Miyamoto has gone back to a more linear 2D map like earlier games.

"You can think of it in terms of something similar to Super Mario World or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, where you will have a rather convenient map to navigate," Miyamoto said. He continued:

We want players to focus on the joy of the action instead of getting to each game course. We wanted to make it as accessible as possible and as easy as possible for the players.

Also because we're going to incorporate a number of different stars and conquering all the stars is going to be one of the most challenging missions for the player, we want them to understand as easy as possible where they should go next and which places they should go back to in order to get access to the remaining stars.

Part of me applauds this move as it was often hard to know where to go next in the 3D Mario games. But I worry if just going back to the 2D map is a step backward. Couldn't Miyamoto have come up with an interesting new way to keep the game a little more linear instead of using older designs?

Source: GameInformer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/22/mario-galaxy-2-map.aspx]

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I hope that they're making this choice in order to facilitate more game content (ie- more levels, bonus stages, etc.) I've always liked to think that the "hub worlds" were staples of 3D Mario games, but I can't really complain about the "map interface." We'll ultimately be able to navigate between levels far more efficiently, but it kinda makes me wonder if this kinda thing could subtract from the 3D Platforming experience.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
There should be a map system where we have to slowly scan the planet for a level and then shoot out a probe to survey it. That'd be tons of fun.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
In Mario Galaxy, there were no secrets to find in the hub world, and so it really served no purpose. In 64, there was actually stuff to do. Might screw with the immersion a bit, but I'd say this definitely makes sense.

And by secrets I mean like hidden worlds, not a couple extra 1ups :)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Greg Tito said:
...42 galaxies in teh game.
I'm sorry, but that just made me laugh so much. It's not even that funny, but I just saw "teh game" and-- oh crap, I just lost the game. Or, should I say, teh game?

videocrazy

Dec 17, 2009
Super Mario Sunshine used Delfino Plaza and Super Mario Galaxy featured the Comet Observatory spaceship and its access to the 42 galaxies in teh game.
Hehe, Greg made a typo. More on topic, I thought the hub worlds worked quite well, and looking around them was fun. If it's letting the player know which areas still have stars and such, the map in the SMG hub worked just fine for me.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I liked the hub world. I think it added to the fun. Plus it was a good place to practice the techniques and tricks and just fart around before you got to the missions.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Aww, I actually liked the system. Although a pause-menu map would have been much more efficient and flow-keeping, since I would often stumble into the wrong floor/gallery/painting/dome in 64/Galaxy, and every once in awhile I would go in the wrong part of the island in Sunshine. I like the 3D openness, but I really wouldn't mind an omnipresent map that's just a menu button away.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
:c
I love hub worlds in games, you get to explore!

I agree that they should make the hub layouts a lot less awkward, like more along the lines of the Crash 3 hub with more depth, but a map leaves nothing to the imagination.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Good. Delfino Plaza and the castle were awesome but Mario Galaxy's hub was like some shit that you'd expect in Mario Party. One of the reasons I haven't played that game (it also has terrible water control and the acrobatics arn't as fun as in Sunshine, even if the level design is a bit higher-par).

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
This doesn't seem like something that will really impact the game in any really big way. I do hope that there will be some way to interact with the map, though. It's always fun to try and find hidden areas.

essieteric

Jul 15, 2009
I actually enjoyed the hub world - I thought it distinguished itself beautifully from the Mario Bros 3 and New Super Mario Bros franchise. Not sure what Miyamoto was thinking there ..... o_O

PiggyGamer

Jul 22, 2009
I pretty much agree with the previous comments.

Galaxy's hub world was pretty ho-hum, but I did enjoy getting to fly around it once I got all(?) the stars. It was like an "achievement unlocked" moment.
I don't think I'll really miss having a hub, though. As long as the courses are amazing.

The Almighty Narf

Feb 13, 2010
Well, considering the 2 NEW Super Mario Bros. games have out sold all 3 3D Mario games (NSMB DS nearly all by itself), I can see why Nintendo is looking mostly to the older Mario games for inspiration. Still, I thought SM64's hub world, with all it's secrets, was on the the more interesting levels in the game... perhaps the whole series. Just because the hub worlds of Sunshine and Galaxy weren't nearly as interesting doesn't mean they need to throw out the whole concept. I'd much rather they go back to how they made 3d hub worlds work then to the blander 2d hub worlds.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
It's kind of a win win I suppose. It's easier to get a 2D map done right, it'll make navigation easier and be more accesible overall.

A good 3D hub will give more of a sense of place and personality to the levels, but takes longerr to walk around in and can be a bit of a chore.

Personally I love both versions, they can't really do anything wrong here in my opinion. (Altough my favourite is probably the hub from 64, followed by the selection screen in SM World (best music too :D).

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
MacDonaldFin said:
I'd only go with this if there were little secrets to find like in 64.
Loved those days when you could finished a game in like 10 minutes.

I should try that again in one of the old games~

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
The Almighty Narf said:
Well, considering the 2 NEW Super Mario Bros. games have out sold all 3 3D Mario games (NSMB DS nearly all by itself), I can see why Nintendo is looking mostly to the older Mario games for inspiration.
I see what you're getting at but that's hardly a fair comparison since these games are spread over different consoles. The Gamecube's sales numbers just weren't so good and on average DS games sell much better. Hell, even the 64 remake sold like 8 mil on the DS, despite being more than 10 years old.

But yes, people love the Nintendo retro vibe, and that's what they'll be getting.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
(Positive Side) - That's interesting. I always liked the map idea, goin' around blowing up castles and climbing mountains. This might work out well as long as it is as interesting as the Super Mario World map.

(Negative Side) - Great! So much for originality. So much for aiming the series in a new direction. He isn't even trying anymore.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
oneplus999 said:
In Mario Galaxy, there were no secrets to find in the hub world, and so it really served no purpose. In 64, there was actually stuff to do. Might screw with the immersion a bit, but I'd say this definitely makes sense.

And by secrets I mean like hidden worlds, not a couple extra 1ups :)
I think Sunshine did the 'hidden stuff to find in the HUB' thing, too. Actually if I recall correctly, you could easily spend quite some time messing about (read: having fun) trying to find stuff in the hub world.