Google Refuses to Keep Censoring Chinese Content

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Google Refuses to Keep Censoring Chinese Content

Google has pulled the plug on its Chinese censorship, which will likely end in the termination of the company's relationship with the country.

The Chinese censor-friendly Google.cn is no more, following an announcement by Google that it will no longer comply with Chinese censorship standards. "We want as many people in the world as possible to have access to our services, including users in mainland China, yet the Chinese government has been crystal clear throughout our discussions that self-censorship is a non-negotiable legal requirement," Google's chief legal officer and Senior Vice President David Drummond said.

Drummond said he hopes China will respect the company's decision, but is aware China can block Google's services at any time. Google.cn was first launched in 2006 and immediately came under fire from critics who said Google caved to China's censorship too easily and flew in the face of its own open information policies.

This reversal comes in the wake of Google's announcement of a January attempt by the Chinese government to obtain the emails of Chinese human rights activists. It is because of this, Google has stated, that it is no longer able to abide by China's censorship demands. China has responded by accusing Google of politicizing itself, criticizing the company's intentions and upholding its sovereign right to uphold its own internet standards.

"...Whether leaving or not, Google should not continue to politicalize itself, as linking its withdrawal to political issues will lose Google's credibility among Chinese netizens. That, will make Google end up to be the biggest loser," the government said in an issued statement.

Source: <a href=http://gizmodo.com/5499275/google-china-search-engine-killed>Gizmodo

(Image)

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
I can't believe I am saying this about one of the scariest Conglomerates ever, but nice one Google!

Fuck you China!

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
What the hell, how is this possible? There must be some weird way in which it is profitable for google to stop operating in China, I just can't believe they would make a decision based on anything other than profit.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
dochmbi said:
What the hell, how is this possible? There must be some weird way in which it is profitable for google to stop operating in China, I just can't believe they would make a decision based on anything other than profit.
I think that Google was founded on the principles of being able to find anything, anywhere and anytime and not just about money.

Nice to see there sticking to there principles on this one.

Alternatively it could just be a US company giving the finger to China, who knows.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well kudos to Google for this, though it doesn't really add much to my respect-o-meter for them.
"...Whether leaving or not, Google should not continue to politicalize itself, as linking its withdrawal to political issues will lose Google's credibility among Chinese netizens. That, will make Google end up to be the biggest loser," the government said in an issued statement.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
dochmbi said:
How much profit is there when 80% of their content is censored and their operations are regulated to stranglehold proportions in China?

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
The biggest loser? I don't think they'll be losing any pounds out of this deal; wrong currency :p

In all seriousness, China is in the hot seat now. If they put the spurs to Google too harshly, they'll look weak. If they let Google persist, they'll open the door to free information for the people.

The trick here is that option 1 is known to be harmful, where as option 2 merely throws more variables into the mix. Either way, this is a interesting story to follow.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I feel sorry for people in china who get restricted from so much. The internet is a valuable thing these days, and something we probably all take for granted.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Now to see which happens first, Chinese protesting in the streets against the inevitable shutdown, or google's share price taking a dive

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
Google's doing good in my book. Sticking to their principles over the money they'd earn there (Honestly though, whats a few more pennies on the already massive money pile?)

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Screw you China. I hope you lose internet period. Then you'll see your crappy restrictions are beyond retarded.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Google has the right to do this, it's a world-wide-web, and if censorship becomes an issue, then google will simply have to stop servicing China, because free-will will always prevail in the people, no matter what nation/race/time

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
You all should probably get one thing people, when the government in China says A most of the people there THINK A.

When the Government says this and that is a bad thing than most of the Chinese people THINK and BELIEVE that it is a bad thing.

But also could be that i have been seeing and reading the wrong documentarys.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
dochmbi said:
I think it's more a matter of it being more trouble than worth. The bad press they garner (for the whole "open-information" policy violation thing) is more troublesome to them than the profit they lose from the withdrawal.