U.K. Professor Blames Facebook for Syphilis Surge

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.K. Professor Blames Facebook for Syphilis Surge

A professor in the U.K. says social networking sites like Facebook [http://www.facebook.com] are responsible for a dramatic rise in the incidence of syphilis in some parts of the country.

Syphilis cases have jumped fourfold in the U.K. regions of Sunderland, Durham and Teeside, and Professor Peter Kelly, the director of public health in Teeside, thinks he knows why: Facebook. Along with being hot spots for syph, studies have shown that young people in those areas are 25 percent more likely to connect to social networking sites than people in the rest of the country.

"There has been a fourfold increase in the number of syphilis cases detected with more young women being affected. I don't get the names of people affected, just figures, and I saw that several of the people had met sexual partners through these sites," Professor Kelly told the Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/7508945/Facebook-linked-to-rise-in-syphilis.html]. "Social networking sites are making it easier for people to meet up for casual sex."

Facebook, naturally, doesn't see it in quite the same light. "The assertion that Facebook is responsible for the transmission of syphilis is ridiculous. Facebook is no more responsible for STD transmission than newspapers responsible for bad vision," a Facebook rep said. "Today's reports exaggerate the comments made by the professor, and ignore the difference between correlation and causation."

"Our website is not a place to meet people for casual sex," the rep added. "It's a place for friends, family and co-workers to connect and share."

UPDATE: Although the topic was covered in the forums a few days ago, for the benefit of those who may have missed it, it turns out that the professor did not actually cite Facebook specifically. The connection was with social networks in general and even that was exaggerated by initial reports, according to Kelly's NHS colleague Edward Kunonga. "Our press release was simply trying to highlight the risks of casual sex," Kunonga said. "We did not make the claim that social networking sites are causing the rise in the incidence of syphilis." More here [http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/03/technophobia_facebook_and_syph.html].

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
You know a lack of proper sexual safety and education about how to engage in safe sexual practices strikes me as a bigger cause than Facebook making it easier for people to "hook up".

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
did they ever think that syphilis might be responsible for the sudden rise in facebooking? Professors these days....

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Where the hell do they come up with this stuff??? It`s like that woman who thinks the Americans have earthquake machines in Antartica

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
What? So if if I catch syphilis it's Facebook's fault even though I'm not on Facebook? And if I am on Facebook surely any increase in a group could be blamed on Facebook.

By that logic if 1000 people randomly decided to get blue cars then Facebook would be responsible.

I hate to say it but this guy is full of shit. Facebook does not make casual sex easier it just tracks it better.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
So I can gice someone syphilis through Facebook, but there still isn't a way for me to punch someone in the face over the internet? Science had better sort this out soon or someone is getting punc... syphilis!

inklewert

Dec 9, 2009
Hmmm... I don't have a facebook... I don't have syphilis. Well seems like an airtight case to me!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
What kind of glue is this guy sniffing? If his logic is taken literally (which i'm sure some paranoid parents will) then reading the comics sections in my daily newspaper will make me go blind and using the internet will make me go deaf

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Or we have less disposable income so we resort to cheaper methods of entertainment?

I don't know, just I don't think a professor of an unmentioned subject (most likely not a speciality in this field) is the most accurate source for social information

Nov 5, 2007
"Our website is not a place to meet people for casual sex," the rep added. "It's a place for friends, family and co-workers to connect and share.... syphilis."

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Seriously? That's nice to know, I've always thought syphilis was the coolest STD. And now it can travel over social networks... nice.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
HG131 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Where the hell do they come up with this stuff??? It`s like that woman who thinks the Americans have earthquake machines in Antartica
Wait, what?!
Yeah, it was a topic like a week or two ago, some crazy scientist lady or something (Swedish I think) blames the USA for the earth quake in Haiti

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
The UK was riddled with teen pregnancies long before facebook, I don't see facebook having changed that statistic.
[sub][sub]protip: It's the binge drinking that causes it.[/sub][/sub]