U.K. Professor Blames Facebook for Syphilis Surge

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Next up, McDonald's blamed for the rise in cancer, YouTube for manic depressions and The Escapist for athletes foot.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems like a pretty loose connection. Granted its a connection but...its flimbsy at best

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
He got it the wrong way round

Stupid, obnoxious teenagers don't have casual sex because of Facebook

Facebook is just where stupid, obnoxious teenagers go to chat to each other about (literally) Sweet Fanny Adams

That, and randomly upload black-and-white tilted-on-the-side pictures with all facial blemishes photoshopped out

That, and randomly update their relationships to really meaningless, stupid statuses

That, and waste my F*cking time by telling me to get it. WHY SHOULD I? I have noone I've lost contact with that I'd want to keep in contact with. Why? BECAUSE I, like you, AM A TEENAGER, AND I HAVE NOT MOVED INTO THE WIDER WORLD!

The day I move to Uni, yes, I will network to keep up with all my friends. But for now, they're kinda right next to me all the time

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
"Syphilis cases have jumped fourfold in the U.K. regions of Sunderland, Durham and Teeside, and Professor Peter Kelly, the director of public health in Teeside, thinks he knows why: Facebook. Along with being hot spots for syph, studies have shown that young people in those areas are 25 percent more likely to connect to social networking sites than people in the rest of the country."

You'd think that a Professor would be intelligent enough to know that correlation doesn't imply causation.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Well there is some hidden logic deep there in his wicked ways of thinking. After all people do you social networking services to hook up for a quickie, well known fact, existed ever since teh interwebs and even earlier through adds in 'specialized' zines or just common newspapers, but internet made it more accessible.

On the other hand blaming a social networking site for a rise of STDs is way beyond silly, blame lack of education, blame the fact that sex is still considered partially as taboo (more or less depending on country/region) and blame sheer stupidity of people.

Then again, saying stupid things is fastest way to get your words reprinted everywhere, after all its not improtant what they say about you, its improtant that they get the name right <.<

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
what.

sorry but does that make even the slightest bit of sence.
what next:
Tesco blamed for obescity?
youtube blamed for the rise of the machines?
bebo blamed for the zombie appocolipse?

sorry i could do this all day.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Well thats interesting, I wonder if AVG will release STD protection software.

Apr 28, 2008
If people want to have sex they'll have sex, facebook be damned.

Quiet Stranger said:
Where the hell do they come up with this stuff??? It`s like that woman who thinks the Americans have earthquake machines in Antartica

*takes out phone*
"Hello, sir. They know."

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
This article is a conspiracy by the Anti-Zynga part of the escapist community! Bring the torches, the tractors and the farm tools! =P

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
FightThePower said:
You'd think that a Professor would be intelligent enough to know that correlation doesn't imply causation.
But correlation is so much easier, we can answer everything with loose, weak correlations!

Not a very smart professor indeed.

Jul 9, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
Where the hell do they come up with this stuff??? It`s like that woman who thinks the Americans have earthquake machines in Antartica
You mean we don't? Now I'm disappointed.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
orannis62 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
You mean we don't? Now I'm disappointed.
This. I was all set to cause a Tsunami in the UK.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Syphilis cases have jumped fourfold in the U.K. regions of Sunderland, Durham and Teeside, and Professor Peter Kelly, the director of public health in Teeside, thinks he knows why: Facebook. Along with being hot spots for syph, studies have shown that young people in those areas are 25 percent more likely to connect to social networking sites than people in the rest of the country.

"There has been a fourfold increase in the number of syphilis cases detected with more young women being affected.
If you are a native of the UK you are probably already aware that the girls in that part of the country aren't backwards about being forwards...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I didn't know we were allowed to make up correlations now!

Some fun could be had with this...