Ninja Theory Made No Money on Heavenly Sword

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ninja Theory Made No Money on Heavenly Sword

Despite being one of the supposedly major exclusives for the PS3 early in its life, "martial arts drama" Heavenly Sword [http://www.amazon.com/Heavenly-Sword-Playstation-3/dp/B000K9OP2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278953420&sr=1-1] didn't even make enough money for its developer to make even.

Sony's PlayStation 3 may have plenty of good games these days, but that wasn't the case once upon a time. In fact, there was a time when pretty much every game hyped as being the Big Game for the console (before MGS4, that is) - the game that would finally justify its existence and $600 price tag - ended up releasing to a big fat "eh."

Heavenly Swordvery first Zero Punctuation review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1-Heavenly-Sword-and-Other-Stuff] here on The Escapist.

But it was a high-profile PS3 title in the Premetalgearian eon, which is why it's slightly surprising that developer Ninja Theory is going multiplatform with its next title, Enslaved. It wouldn't be surprising if we had a look at the balance books, though - as Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240867], exclusivity can be very difficult for smaller developers.

"It's difficult. Heavenly Sword came out pretty early on the PS3, and we sold, I think, a million and a half copies, and that's still not enough as an independent studio to break even," said Antoniades. "The publisher potentially breaks even at that point, but the developers don't ... It's just that when so many people have Xbox - I mean over half the market or more has Xbox 360s - why limit yourself to one platform?"

It is a very good point - why intentionally limit yourself so heavily? Ignoring a potential audience should never be done without good reason. Hopefully the company will actually be able to turn a profit on its next game, because getting to pay your employees is probably really awesome.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shit...I played a demo and didn't think it was THAT bad.

To put it another way: If I had a PS3, I would have likely bought it at some point.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onyx Oblivion said:

To put it another way: If I had a PS3, I would have likely bought it at some point.
It's not a quality issue. There just weren't enough PS3 owners out there at the time, I believe he's saying.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
John Funk said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

It's not a quality issue. There just weren't enough PS3 owners out there at the time, I believe he's saying.
What were the development costs?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I played the demo and didn't find the game fun at all. Even though I hated Dante's Inferno, at least I knew what I was doing. I was reduced to mashing buttons like crazy when playing HS.

Hopefully the next title will be better.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Honestly, I'm really not surprised by this. After all, they chose to make a game for what was considered a ridiculously expensive console in a market dominated by the Xbox 360.

There's no way they didn't foresee any problems with this.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
I agree with their logic, at least from the stand point of when the game was released. PS3 exclusives had it pretty bad at the start. As for now, its fine to look at only a single console. I wish the games had done a bit better though. At least the concept of it looked really interesting.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onyx Oblivion said:
John Funk said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Hell if I know, I don't work at Ninja Theory.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I played the game and found it pretty good except for the "twing twang" parts. The motion controls drag the game down considerably. I hope Enslaved promises a more interesting experience minus the lame motion controls.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
John Funk said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
John Funk said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Hell if I know, I don't work at Ninja Theory.
You do now!

*gives you Ninja Theory ID badge*

anyway...to the internet!

The internet failed me...

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
HG131 said:
That is the problem with exclusives the gaming industry. Unless they are sure to be big, NEVER make them.
Fixed that for ya.

Personally, I don't like exclusives (as a 360 owner and PC sympathizer). Exclusives hurt the customer AND the developer; customers are limited in choice and developers are limited demographically.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
John Funk said:
...because getting to pay your employees is probably really awesome.
I'm sure the employees find it quite awesome as well.

I wonder if the developers for X Blades broke earn a profit in the end?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
the antithesis said:
John Funk said:
...because getting to pay your employees is probably really awesome.
I'm sure the employees find it quite awesome as well.

I wonder if the developers for X Blades broke earn a profit in the end?
I got a feeling that might be a big fat no...lol.

But, its a shame. I hope they do better next time as its never fun to tell people after all the hard work it basically didnt do well at all...real downer

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

This is the sort of thing I've gone on about for at least a year. Exclusitivity is one of the scourges of gaming right now. If it's a situation where a game can only be fully enjoyed on one platform then fine. Example - Heavy Rain on PS3. Though I'd be more than happy to play it on 20 discs on Xbox 360 (since I don't have a PS3) to get that sort of quality, most gamers won't.

Recently though, Square Enix proved that exclusive titles don't have to, in fact, be exclusive. FF XIII was released on Xbox 360 as wel, despite the FF series being predominantly Sony territory in the past. And most gamers regard that as a good thing, the new move. What annoys me as well is when developers release one game for one platform, then a different title in the same series for a different platform. For example, Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days is a Nintendo DS title. That's great, and I can play that since I have a DS. But KH: Birth By Sleep? PSP exclusive. So despite being a Kingdom Hearts fan from the very start, I need to fork out money I don't have for a PSP to play a key installment in the series, or pirate it for a PSP emulator (which I don't want to do). What was stopping Disney/Square Enix from releasing both games on both DS and PSP, and making everyone happy (as well as scoring more revenue in the process)?

If developers and publishers want to get the most sales, revenue and profit out of their products, they need to stop being so single minded about platform and stop with the exclustivity. If Heavenly Sword was released for Xbox 360 I would buy it, as I think it looks like a great game. But it wasn't. So if Ninja Theory are complaining now about their losses, then tough luck. I would have bought it, but couldn't. They get no sympathy from me.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

There's the problem, you don't have a PS3, and neither do so many other people who think like you do.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Deef said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

There's the problem, you don't have a PS3, and neither do so many other people who think like you do.
it was a fuckton of money back then!

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
sooo, we wont see nariko again?
i want more of her, even if the game is bad.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wait, they sold 1.5 million and didn't break even? How much fucking money did they spend developing it?

How can you call yourself a 'small developer' if you blow that kind of cash? The new game looks a lot better, though I still wouldn't buy it.