Penny Arcade Adventures Ends Abruptly

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Penny Arcade Adventures Ends Abruptly

Penny Arcade Adventures [http://www.amazon.com/Penny-Arcade-Adventures-Episode-Playstation-3/dp/B003AZYIAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278952547&sr=1-1], the four-episode gaming installment of the popular webcomic is coming to a premature end.

Penny Arcade Adventures was first unveiled at PAX 2007, with the first two games of the proposed quartet released in May and October, 2008. With the subsequent time gap and the second game only making one-third of the sales the first game did, the series showed signs of struggle. "There won't be an Episode 3," Penny Arcade illustrator Mike Krahulik said. "We're actually not making a third episode of the game."

In addition to waning sales, Adventures developer Hothead is working on a new title, DeathSpank, in conjunction with EA Games. The Penny Arcade team felt the studio had a great opportunity with DeathSpank, and making Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 3 would cause the quality to suffer. "They definitely could've done both games," Penny Arcade writer Jerry Holkins said. "I think they could've made DeathSpank and Episode 3 but I think Episode 3 would've suffered. I mean, I know it would have suffered. So we'd rather not do it than do it half-assed and so we're going to finish that story but it's going to be on our website."

How will they finish the story? Penny Arcade will release an illustrated episodic version of the remaining story to help finish the tale Adventures set out to tell. "Our main goal at this point is to make sure that people aren't left hanging on a narrative side, and to allow Hothead to do the best they can on their project," Holkins said.

Source: Joystiq

Masonhome

Sep 9, 2008
Well, at least they're going to actually FINISH the story, as opposed to just leaving us hanging.

But beyond that, I think that this is a good call. The games, in all honesty, weren't that fun. The main reason I got them was for the entertaining story. Hopefully, it finishes up to be good!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Episodic games are a terrible idea, they were when they were conceived, they are to this day. They rarely if ever see a finish, and the only people paying for this kind of greedy game developing are the consumers that invest in these kinds of games only to see them fizzle out.

Not unexpected, but certainly unwelcome news.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, they are trying to tie off loose ends at least. Gotta gie them points for that.

Shames its ending as it is, but, at least it ends on a high-ish

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I really enjoyed the basic gameplay, but the difficulty was so crushing I ended up giving up far too often.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Trust those boys at Penny Arcade to know when to kill a dog when it's down. And not screw over their fans in the process.

Cheers!

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
What? Oh man, I was really looking forward to episode 3, (and as many above have said) but at least they're going to finish the story.

GrandmastahT

Nov 27, 2009
Ugh. Guess I can delete my game files for it, then. I was getting excited to be able to use my monocle-clad garden-tool-carrying hero for another adventure, but alas.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually I'm not too happy about this. I sort of suspected the lack of sales on the second episode had to do with a lot of people taking a "wait and see" approach to the rest of the series since everyone was afraid exactly this was going to happen. I suspect if they did make the last two games they would see sales of the second one pick up along with the next chapters.

That said I'm just as "excited" about the way they are finishing it as I was when Joss Whedon decided to finish up the plotlines in the Buffyverse in comic form (WTF?). I mean it was one thing when he wasn't working in TV, but when he came back I kind of felt it was a major letdown to do things like "Dollhouse" instead of trying to launch a series to tie up the loose ends even if it meant a new cast (with occasional apperances by the old cast members in their roles, older and wiser, to tell some of what happened).

Ahh well, I suppose I see where they are coming from, but truthfully I am losing a bit of respect for Penny Arcade here.... though I've suspected it would come to this for a long time now.

Squirrelwarrior

Mar 3, 2010
This is very disappointing news. I loved the first two episodes, and I was eagerly awaiting episode 3. Wrapping it up in comic form is better than nothing, I guess...

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
The first game was entertaining enough for me, never purchased the second one since I felt like I had actually had enough. Episodic games face a waning audience. You see the problem with it is that people will buy the first one and, if they don't like it, will never pick up the second one or third or whatever. The only people who will stick with something like this is someone who wants to see the story progress or actually enjoys the gameplay...and frankly, the only thing these games had going for them was the story. In this day and age, 20 dollars for a story is a bit much and for such a small audience in the first place, you can't really expect that many sales.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
So, Gabe cancelled Episode 3...

*runs away from enevitable flaming*

Mr.Pandah has a point, considering Telltale Games, who is basically the episodic game developer, now prefers you to buy an entire season rather than picking or choosing. At least they allow you to buy them individually after the season is out.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I'm a bit disappointed, I actually liked the combat and gameplay. It just won't feel the same... but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Ah well, at least there's DeathSpank and it's going to be unhindered.