Driving Real-Life Cars the Videogame Way

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Driving Real-Life Cars the Videogame Way

Thanks to the miracle of violent, hilarious science, we now have irrefutable proof that driving a car in a videogame is absolutely nothing at all like driving a car in real life.

Serious simulators aside, most videogames force players to drive their cars from the third-person view, a perspective that not only shows off the action better than a cockpit view but also helps compensate for the lack of peripheral vision inherent in games. But how would that point of view work in real life? The intrepid science team at Rooster Teeth [http://roosterteeth.com/home.php] decided to find out.

Using "$2500 worth of camera equipment sitting on top of what looks like duct tape and zip ties," the team attached a video rig to a Ford pickup with blacked-out windows, then had two expert test drivers take it out for a spin. The name of the game was to stay within the preset course and avoid - or possibly hit, that part isn't too clear - all the "inflatable pedestrians" along the side of the road. To ensure genuine videogame authenticity, two members of the Yakuza also took part in the experiment.

The results are about what you'd expect: Funny, violent and laced with obscenities. Educational, too! But really, kids: Please don't try this at home. (And if you do, be sure to get video.)

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I think this is flawed, saw it the other day and the camera angle is all wrong. A bit higher, not so steep and a bit of practice I'd say it's very doable!

Love the Triad lads beating them before they drive.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Stinger ending made me laugh. Pretty inaccurate representation though. Camera was pretty low and angled pretty high.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Ah yes the Roosterteeth guys....the creators of Halo Machinima and Red VS Blue.

Hilarious!!!!! LOL!!

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Ive been watching this video for the past 2 days, and i still laugh my ass off every time Gus gets kicked in the kidneys.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
yeah, the camera was a bit off of how the angle is in games.
Still entertaining, I guess.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I thought they were going to sit in a room and drive the car remotely. That would have been a more accurate representation of what driving in videogames is like.

(Just hear me taking this too seriously.)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Much as I respect the thought of listening when people tell me to not try this at home....I want to try THIS at home!
Was cool seeing Griff live for once, and Gus and Geoff competing insanely as usual. ROFL! :D

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
That is so going on my list of things to do when I become rich and famous... Well, the fame isn't nesescary

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
LTK_70 said:
I thought they were going to sit in a room and drive the car remotely. That would have been a more accurate representation of what driving in videogames is like.

(Just hear me taking this too seriously.)
And for the complete likeness they should have automated the car so you can control it with analogue joysticks.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Generic_Dave said:
I think this is flawed, saw it the other day and the camera angle is all wrong. A bit higher, not so steep and a bit of practice I'd say it's very doable!

Yeah. Crappy camera angle. The reason they did so poorly was because they couldn't see anything in front of the car.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
ThrobbingEgo said:
Generic_Dave said:

Yeah. Crappy camera angle. The reason they did so poorly was because they couldn't see anything in front of the car.
A nice 32" flatscreen rather than a tiny monitor might help too ;-)

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
The camera is placed at a terrible angle. Whenever I drive in games I always have to move the camera so I have a clear view of the road directly in front of me.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
I've actually always wondered what that would be like, although I think that the camera wasn't quite high enough.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lmao, thats pretty epic.

Reminds me of my times on GTA and going over ramps and flying...

Gh0st1y_H

Jan 11, 2010
I died laughing when the Yakuza started kicking the shit out of them when they started going over to the car.