Kojima Vows to Leave Industry if Next Project is a Failure

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Kojima Vows to Leave Industry if Next Project is a Failure

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has said that he will leave the videogame industry if he messes up his next project.

Hideo Kojima is giving himself an ultimatum, either his next project is a success, or he will quit the industry. He made the confusing claim in a tweet [http://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/12047778465], which, when translated from Japanese, reads:

"The next project will challenge a certain type of taboo. If I mess up, I'll probably have to leave the industry. However, I don't want to pass by avoiding that. I turn 47 this year. It's been 24 years since I started making games. Today, I got an ally who would happily support me in that risk. Although it's just one person. For a start, it's good."

It's not clear if he's referring to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Solid-Peace-Walker-Sony-PSP/dp/B002BS47TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278534503&sr=1-1] or some other, as yet unannounced, project, but as it's Kojima, expect it to be a little on the strange side.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Somehow this strikes me as some kind of supervillian ultimatum. His next project? To RULE THE WORLD.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Hmmmmm, is it wrong that I'm kinda looking forward to him leaving? I couldn't stand MGS4

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Please define "mess up".

I mean, every game with a respectable buget behind it is going to sell at least some copies, these days.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
So its either MGS: Peacewalker or MGS: Rising. Oh wait, could be a totally new IP. Interested to see what the huge risk is.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
If this came to pass it would be a great shame, I am a huge fan of Kojima's work.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
RapeLay Solid 2 by Hideo Kojima.

Pardon. When he says taboo and that it will probably get him fired, my first thought came to that one game that horrified many.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
The man has enough fan boys that will buy it regardless.

I have my doubts that it'll fail.

Note: I'm not harshing Kojima fanboys/girls. I'm pretty much one of them.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Something tells me the thing that will "challenge a certain type of taboo" will be a game like DOA, and it will probably be the girls just naked, can't say I will miss him though.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
He could skirt the bet by not actually making any more games, and just be a producer or an executive producer who has considerable creative control written in to his contract.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Or if anything it will take him roughly 200 5 minute speech sequences to explain it all in the end. This guy doesn't like getting to the point, until hes past it.