189: ¡VIVA LA R3V0LUC10N!

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Well that certainly changed my opinions on Pirating video games.

"If I only buy games that are actually cool and awesome, and don't have DRM, I'll change the world!"

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
OK, nerdy rage and moderately insipid jokes at the end end of the "article" aside, is that... "thing"... supposed to be serious or not?

Reading the third page, I have difficulties taking this rant at face value, because if I did, then the third page would be nothing short of a steaming pile of BS.

My 2c.

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
I have this great feeling that as soon as one person said
"This is Satire,this is funny and not serious" EVERYONE suddenly got the joke and went along with it,and of course they knew all along.(just a feeling,or so I would hope)

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
You know, I can't help but wonder if people these days would read A Modest Proposal and think that Swift was actually advocating the eating of babies.
Unfortunately... yes.
I remember last semester someone had it as an assigned reading and thought... well...

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
People might consider his examples extreme, but there is a point.

People ask "what gives you the right to pirate games?"

Well, what gave black slaves the right to freedom? That right didn't exist - they were property. People decided that was wrong, and fought for their freedom. I'm willing to bet that, in one way or another, one or more laws were broken in the fight for equality and the end of slavery.

You can ***** how you can't possibly compare slavery to gaming, but you can. The only difference is where you draw the line; both are examples of an "accepted" practice that one group find acceptable, another group find deplorable, and the only solution involves breaking the law and/or forcing a change in the law.

One can argue with validity that the implications of DRM are not as serious as the implications of Slavery. That is a valid point. However, it is also a sleight of hand to try and get people to stop paying attention to the issue, so we will ignore that as well.

Nobody wants DRM. Nobody. People may want to stop piracy, but most of us are not willing to sacrifice liberties and freedoms to achieve it. When it is not possible to accomplish this by legal means, we break the law. We do not break the law because we are malicious or antisocial, we break the law because the law has failed to keep pace with our requirements.

Allow me to give an example of this. In the UK, it is illegal to transfer music from one format to another. In lamen's terms, if an American buys a CD, burns it onto their Hard Drive and then puts it on their iPod, that is legal. If I do it, it is illegal. Yes, in the UK it is against the law to buy a CD, copy it onto your PC, and put it on your MP3 player.

So, I have just bought the latest Korpiklaani CD. I want it on my iPod. the Law says I have to buy that CD again off the iTunes store. Who here thinks this is unfair? I do! I paid for it, I should be able to do what I want with it. So long as I'm not burning copies to sell, or otherwise distribute, I should be allowed to do as I please. For the record, I usually burn a backup CD to keep in the car, so if anything ever happens to my car and the CD player is stolen / damaged, I don't lose the original. Again, probably not legal, but the music company has had my money, and I consider it fair use.

I submit to you all that, as the article says, most Pirates want to buy games. However, for one reason or another, they cannot. Price is an age-old issue, and it's one that isn't easily resolved. Releasing a game electronically reduces initial costs, but these games then usually squat at release price for all time. My local game store had the original Quake for 99p. I'm guessing it'd be a fair bit more than that if it was on Steam or similar.

DRM is, however, a much easier problem to tackle - the developers can simply drop it. We do not want to be spied on by anyone, especially not a private company. I'm sure someone will doubt that bullshit line of "the innocent have nothing to hide", but that's the exact kind of thinking that leads to draconic police states. Innocent people don't need to hide things, but they have the right to hide things! Then there is the very valid point that even 'innocent' people use their PC to store / transfer secure information; imagine a DRM that gave EA access to your bank account details, which were then stolen by one of their employees.

We have rights. We have the right not to live in a Police State. This is 2009, not 1984, and it's about time everyone realised that! That goes for government, for private companies, and for the common people; all are equally to blame. Government and companies infringe on our liberties, and it is the duty of the common people to fight back.

Today it's DRM. Tomorrow it's biometric data. Ten years from now, it's your right to breed. Where exactly do you wish to draw the line?

Ryan Sumo

Jul 14, 2008
Haha. Good stuff. I love the last bit where he flames just about everyone he can lay his hands on, and it was funny despite hitting home. Terrific satire right there.

UnSub

Sep 3, 2003
Beery said:
I agree. But the article itself wasn't very funny. This is a serious issue, and the article pokes fun at the wrong side of it. It would have been much more effective if the writer had poked fun at the DRM supporters, who DO actually tend to be over-the-top. The problem with the article, as satire, is that most anti-DRM folks are actually NOT irrational, so in order to cloak itself in some level of believability, the satire can't be all that effective.
I'm sure I've never seen an anti-DRM person use irrational or over-the-top arguments to justify why they just had to pirate something. ;-)

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Wargamer said:

Well, what gave black slaves the right to freedom? That right didn't exist - they were property. People decided that was wrong, and fought for their freedom. I'm willing to bet that, in one way or another, one or more laws were broken in the fight for equality and the end of slavery.

You can ***** how you can't possibly compare slavery to gaming, but you can. The only difference is where you draw the line; both are examples of an "accepted" practice that one group find acceptable, another group find deplorable, and the only solution involves breaking the law and/or forcing a change in the law.

We have rights. We have the right not to live in a Police State. This is 2009, not 1984, and it's about time everyone realised that! That goes for government, for private companies, and for the common people; all are equally to blame. Government and companies infringe on our liberties, and it is the duty of the common people to fight back.

Today it's DRM. Tomorrow it's biometric data. Ten years from now, it's your right to breed. Where exactly do you wish to draw the line?
All of a sudden, I understand how people could miss the humor in Rob's article, because I'm not sure whether this is serious or not.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Wargamer said:

You can ***** how you can't possibly compare slavery to gaming, but you can.
No you can't.

Rob Zacny

Jun 23, 2008
Wargamer said:

One can argue with validity that the implications of DRM are not as serious as the implications of Slavery. That is a valid point. However, it is also a sleight of hand to try and get people to stop paying attention to the issue, so we will ignore that as well.

Nobody wants DRM. Nobody. People may want to stop piracy, but most of us are not willing to sacrifice liberties and freedoms to achieve it. When it is not possible to accomplish this by legal means, we break the law. We do not break the law because we are malicious or antisocial, we break the law because the law has failed to keep pace with our requirements.

Allow me to give an example of this. In the UK, it is illegal to transfer music from one format to another. In lamen's terms, if an American buys a CD, burns it onto their Hard Drive and then puts it on their iPod, that is legal. If I do it, it is illegal. Yes, in the UK it is against the law to buy a CD, copy it onto your PC, and put it on your MP3 player.

So, I have just bought the latest Korpiklaani CD. I want it on my iPod. the Law says I have to buy that CD again off the iTunes store. Who here thinks this is unfair? I do! I paid for it, I should be able to do what I want with it. So long as I'm not burning copies to sell, or otherwise distribute, I should be allowed to do as I please. For the record, I usually burn a backup CD to keep in the car, so if anything ever happens to my car and the CD player is stolen / damaged, I don't lose the original. Again, probably not legal, but the music company has had my money, and I consider it fair use.

I submit to you all that, as the article says, most Pirates want to buy games. However, for one reason or another, they cannot. Price is an age-old issue, and it's one that isn't easily resolved. Releasing a game electronically reduces initial costs, but these games then usually squat at release price for all time. My local game store had the original Quake for 99p. I'm guessing it'd be a fair bit more than that if it was on Steam or similar.

DRM is, however, a much easier problem to tackle - the developers can simply drop it. We do not want to be spied on by anyone, especially not a private company. I'm sure someone will doubt that bullshit line of "the innocent have nothing to hide", but that's the exact kind of thinking that leads to draconic police states. Innocent people don't need to hide things, but they have the right to hide things! Then there is the very valid point that even 'innocent' people use their PC to store / transfer secure information; imagine a DRM that gave EA access to your bank account details, which were then stolen by one of their employees.

Your argument involves equating the charging of money for providing goods or services to a violation of human rights, and therefore is something that needs to be opposed, even when it involves the breaking of laws. I'm not saying it's fundamentally wrong to believe this way, just that those that embrace that position must also accept the inherent consequences of it.

Not just the immediate consequence they risk when breaking a law, but also the long-term should society enact the change they wish, and the public is able to determine the price they pay. That price being zero, unless there's some justification made by those that pirate as to why some get to pay nothing for what others must pay something for. If there is, I've missed it.

QuadrAlien

Mar 20, 2008
Undeadpope said:
I have this great feeling that as soon as one person said
"This is Satire,this is funny and not serious" EVERYONE suddenly got the joke and went along with it,and of course they knew all along.(just a feeling,or so I would hope)
I'll be honest with you. For the first page or two, I thought this had been copied and pasted directly from one of the piracy-related threads that pop up every so often around here.

Last page definitely managed to get the warnings finally going off in my head: Stardock DRM? Odd, but still going with person raving on forums... No good games since 1998? All right, this is more what I'd expect from OldWizards or whatever that site obsessed with the SNES is called... Immolation? I'm pretty sure that didn't actually happen... I would have remembered reading about it.

misterk

Jan 17, 2008
... Was going to mock what I thought was a rather unsubtle attempt at satire... apparently I was wrong, having seen this comment thread. The internet is a scary place....

Nov 6, 2007
aaron552 said:
tempro said:
Fun fact: Gaming is not a human right.
But privacy and free speech are both human rights. DRM is in violation of both.
this

Was going to say that but that's just the way it goes.
Isn't just in games either. Just went through an ordeal not 30 minutes ago trying to install a Microsoft webcam. The install screen says I can choose to install Live Messenger with the cam drivers, or just the cam drivers. I choose the latter. 3 times my machine blue screens on me. I figure out what's going on, choose to install Live messenger and BANGO, works like a charm. I think "No way can Microsoft actually be blackmailing me to use Messenger by scuttling my cam install?" So I deleted both, and tried it again with the same results. I've also had starforce from Dirt prevent both emulators and DVD playing software from operating properly, and to this day I cannot burn DVDs or CDs on that drive without an error.

EDIT: To everyone taking this article seriously: Lrn2Rd

The Extremist

Sep 14, 2007
Excuse me while I do my best to get in everyone's face.

To everyone who thinks this is a simple issue: You are wrong. DRM doesn't prevent piracy and piracy is not theft. Piracy is not right and producers of software have the right to protect their product, but that doesn't mean DRM is the answer. This isn't a simple issue and it doesn't have a simple answer.

And before you climb on your soap box and demand that I give an alternative let me disclaim: I don't necessarily have the answer, but I know what the answer is *not*.

Miral said:
Hey, it might be satire, but it's the best kind of satire -- where 90% of what it says is the complete truth (and the other 10% is just added for comedic effect).
This is how I interpreted it as well. But is he poking fun at the fanboyism surrounding the DRM issue or is he actually poking fun at the whole anti-DRM argument?

InsoFox said:
You never buy a game, you only buy a license to play it and the program necessary to do so. It's not yours to do whatever you like with and it -never has been-, pre or post DRM. If you don't believe me read the license agreement you accept when you install pretty much any game, old or new. Publishers can deliver the game how they want, as long as they think people will still swallow it.
And therein lies the problem. It's obvious to me that a distinction needed to be made between purchasing software and licensing software. Software, like music, isn't something physical whose utility you lose when give it to someone else. I see the original intention of licensing agreements as a way to ensure that software products enjoy the same limited use and distribution channels as a 'normal' product like a chair, knife, or torch.

Unlike anything else though, publishers have been able to convince consumers that them retaining 100% control over your license to use the software is a good and acceptable thing. If a record label goes out of business or a band breaks up, you as consumer only lose whatever future content they might have produced, you don't lose the ability to enjoy any current CDs you already own.

Strangely enough, the battle against music DRM seems to be all but won, yet software DRM is as entrenched as ever.

InsoFox said:
Having said that, none of the doomsday scenarios people talk about like, say, the day Valve's servers shut down and nobody gets to play the games they got from it anymore will never actually happen because even if the servers do go down for good if Valve doesn't release a patch unlocking the content before that happens, then -somebody- will. If the worst comes to the worst with DRM, we'll still be able to keep playing.
I applaud your faith in humans. Personally I don't trust that all the games I find entertaining will still be popular enough by the time the so-called "Doomsday Scenarios" transpire to warrant some cracker's attention. I also can't wait for the ironic day to come where one of these 'services' does go down and the masses that decried the evils of piracy and supported the need of DRM run to the 'filthy pirates' to plead for help to get their legal purchases working again.

Speaking of emergency unlocking patches: Whose to say that all the publishers hosted on said service would allow the hosts of the service to simply strip the protection they paid good money for out of their software?

AgentNein said:
DRM wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't a healthy pirating community out there. By presenting the product, a publisher or developer has every right to set the terms of said purchase and use. You have every right to not support such terms of purchase and use, you however do not have the right to rip them off.
DRM wouldn't be an issue if publishers would realise that it doesn't prevent piracy. It was a valid response to the problem at the time but now that it's been established that it's having negligible effect it may as well be abandoned. It's a needless production cost and inconvenience. Other than that I agree with your statement.

Wargamer said:

Thanks Wargamer, for making the pro-DRMers' point for them. Over-the-top arguments like these harm our credibility, it doesn't strengthen it.

Yes, current incarnations of DRM inhibit consumer freedoms, but as consumers if we simply refuse to buy software with draconian DRM we are denied entertainment, or at worst some productivity software. We aren't beaten within an inch of our lives, nor are we denied our right to live for our insolence.

Maybe your predictions are accurate, but that doesn't change the fact that for now, we're talking about entertainment. Freedom is always worth fighting for but please don't liken it to slavery or any other fight for basic human rights for that matter.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Baby Tea said:
What a hilarious piece of satire! Very hilarious.
People can get bent so out of shape over things like DRM, and it's good to see writers taking a humorous approach to the 'Anti-DRM fanatics'.

Made me chuckle.
Oh, for sure. Many of the replies here remind me of the response to my Vegan Halo thread. Brilliant satire, well written, pointed and everything such an article should be. Brought a smile to my face, and thankyou.