Hey Kids, Are You Ready for StarCraftKart?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hey Kids, Are You Ready for StarCraftKart?

The StarCraft II [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65548] map editor hasn't even been out for a week yet, and one enterprising fan has already used it to create a game in an entirely different genre.

We've known since last year's BlizzCon that the StarCraft II Galaxy Editor was a powerful little tool - some of the folks at Blizzard had developed a third-person shooter using just the regular tools in the editor in their spare time. The Galaxy Editor was released to the beta-testing masses last week, and we're already seeing some interesting stuff out of it - like, for instance, this StarCraft Wacky Races map.

Yes, it's incredibly rudimentary, with nothing more to the concept other than "drive around a track." There are no banana peels or red shells to be fired at your foes. But the fact that someone slapped together a kart racer in just a day - and by the looks of it, it's controlled with the keyboard for the most part - is actually pretty impressive.

I wonder what this will look like after two weeks. Maybe they'll have starmen.

(Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5524367/there-are-no-blue-shells-in-starcraft-kart])

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Would be MUCH more impressive if it wasn't for the fact blizzard made a Warcraft III Mario Kart on Frozen Throne.

Calumon: Still kinda cool huh?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
This is why I love Blizzard.Good games with equally good editors

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm just wondering one thing...

"Why?"
Because. It's. Awesome. Or because. They. Can.

Both answers work pretty well. I'm pretty interested in the Third Person Shooter too, now. I never got my Starcraft : Ghost, dammit!

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Sadly the ultralisk would just slice anyone who would pass him.

Love how so many people are remaking lots of maps from Wc3 into SC2. I'm remaking Vampirism. :p

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
I'm waiting for them to release a map editor for BC2 for this very reason.

What? Are you telling me that C4, quadbikes and a racetrack doesn't sound totally freakin' awesome to you?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Huh? Whatever happened to "slow and steady wins the race?" Are you telling me that the tortoise was lying?! o_O

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
They did that map with warcraft 3 to, though the warcraft 3 version was alot deeper with many powerups and great set of characters to play :D They also did snake and a rudimentary wow, with ragebars and a ghosthealer.
With they i mean blizzard :)

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
"Dick Dastardly stops to cheat again..."

Lol looks cool, even though I don't play the game. XD

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
I very much appreciate the use of the Beetle Race music from Super Mario RPG. Just goes to show the kind of simple brilliance that can be found on the soundtracks of old cartridges.

BaZacre

Nov 18, 2009
Catkid906 said:
Would be MUCH more impressive if it wasn't for the fact blizzard made a Warcraft III Mario Kart on Frozen Throne.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Still, I have full faith the galaxy editor can do much more than the Warcraft 3 World editor could, but this hasn't shown us anything War3 didn't do already.

Edit: Go Thor, you can do it!!!