ICQ Sold to the Russians

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
ICQ Sold to the Russians

ICQ [http://www.icq.com], the pioneering software that helped make instant messaging a staple of life on the internet, has been sold to the Russians.

Originally developed by Israeli company Mirabilis, ICQ - "I Seek You" - was released to the public in 1996, finally giving people a way to easily and instantly contact their online friends from anywhere in the world. Less than two years later, MSN Messenger [http://www.aol.com] had already begun to muscle in on the IM territory and in the years that followed, ICQ slowly declined in relevance.

ICQ still draws over 32 million unique visitors each month but more than a quarter of them are from Russia, where it remains the big dog in the IM fight. So it is that, as part of its "turnaround effort," AOL has officially unloaded the service onto Digital Sky Technologies [http://www.dst-global.com/], the largest internet company in the "Russian-speaking and Eastern European market," for $187.5 million: Not exactly chump change but still a substantial loss for AOL.

But AOL's loss is DST's gain, as the saying goes. "ICQ's long-standing brand name and its sizable loyal customer base together represent a very attractive opportunity to further strengthen our position in the region," said DST CEO Yuri Milner.

It's a bit odd to hear ICQ talked about like it's 1998 but the sentimentalist in me is happy to see the old dog getting a bit of the powerhouse treatment again. After my UIN [http://www.icq.com/people/1302192/], which I'd had for well over a decade, was hijacked last year, I created a new one and quickly realized that nobody I know uses it anymore. It was a sad day when I bade that protocol farewell, but that sharp, jarring "Uh oh!" will always have a place in my heart.

Source: Business Wire [http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100428005962&newsLang=en]

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
mine was hijacked a few years ago...quit pissed it was and the lack of support I got.....

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
but that sharp, jarring "Uh oh!" will always have a place in my heart.
Not to mention the typewriter noise as you were writing your message. Or how often it got stuck sending them out. The ability to have that chat where everyone sees your input directly was awesome, although a bit laggy.

Actually, everything about it was laggy from what I recall. I used it back in the days of Napster and Dial-up connections.

First floppies die, now ICQ goes Russian. What's next?

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I can already imagine how the conspiracy theorist nutjobs will react: "RUSS HAVE TELEPATHY!!!"

I'm pretty sure most conspiracy theorists won't bother to fact-check what instant messaging really is.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nah, I got rid of the typing noise the moment it appeared. My messaging sounds are pretty minimal: Incoming messages, files and chat requests, confirmation of sent files and I think that's it.

I've actually been using Miranda for years, but with a custom ICQ sound setup. Won't do without it.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
In America, you message friends.
In Soviet Russia, friends message you!

OT: I haven't seen or heard of IMing for years. Forums, image boards, and social networking have somewhat replaced it in my consiousness.

Hopefully it will stay around for a while though.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
All these tech stories are bringing on a severe nostalgia bomb. Dialup internet... mmmmmm. I remember when it used to take ten minutes to load flash games and you could be dropped thanks to someone using the telephone... at the time though, it was goooood stuff.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
400 million in dotcom money in 1998 and now 187 million? isnt that profit really ^^

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
There's a joke in here somewhere involving adoption, the Russian mob, and Chris Hanson.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
ICQ is a filth ridden virus delivery system. I installed it back in 2000, and within a week I'd gotten something nasty past my virus scanner. I will never use it, nor AIM, ever again.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
I moved out of Russia in early 2000s and missed much of growing internet culture... Especially considering how I had dial-up back then and you had to pay for internet at hourly rates in my town (Dubna) for some reason, back then.

So, uh, good for them, I guess

I don't think any of the people I know in real life use these things nowadays... Sad, probably, 90s and early 2000s was a COOL time as internet goes.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
"The Russians"?

Got to love good old US way of saying things. If it was Germany, France or whatever it would be "sold in Germany/to Germany".

THE Russians is like something out of an espionage/Cold War thriller.