Harrison Ford Gives Insight Into Star Wars at Last

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Harrison Ford Gives Insight Into Star Wars at Last

Charity has finally inspired the soloist known as Han to give a talk on the secrets of the Star Wars universe.

Harrison Ford is apparently known for having been tight lipped on most Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Harrison-Ford/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276638643&sr=1-1] to both celebrate the 30th anniversary of the film's release and to raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, during which he divulged a few interesting tidbits.

While it may have seemed like the scenes on planet Hoth were filmed in the middle of Antarctica, in reality they were filmed in Norway just outside of a hotel during a blizzard. He said: "The conditions were so severe that they put the camera in the back door of the hotel we were staying at and shot out the door. So we were 12 feet from the hotel, out in the blizzard." The weather also changed Empire's shooting schedule so that Ford was unexpectedly forced to film there, even though his costume was meant only for the stage and not the depths of winter. "The one part I remember that was a little uncomfortable was Norway where we shot the snow scenes. I hadn't been expected to work there, so the costume that I had was built for the stage ... the only way to get to the set in the midst of a blizzard was on a snowplow train, which had a giant auger on the front of it and pushed through the snow and delivered me to the set. We immediately went to work."

Did you also think that Chewbacca must have hurt his backside by sitting in the chair of the Millennium Falcon for days at a time? It turns out, he never was able to sit in the chair at all due to actor Peter Mayhew's height of 7 feet 3 inches at the time. "It was impossible for Peter, built of the scale that he is, to get in the seat. So every time you see Peter in the seat, he's been edited into it." I never thought of Wookie height reducing their employment opportunities, but it's a real problem.

On the issue of Ford's desire to kill of Han Solo at the end of the original trilogy, he said : "I just thought that it would supply some emotional bottom, a grounding. George didn't agree, and so that did not happen." Further, he talked about how Star Wars accidentally saved him from the life of a carpenter after he'd given up acting. While working on a portico for Francis Ford Coppola, the casting director for Star Wars asked Ford to read with prospective actors. "After I read with probably 300 actors, they asked me if I would want to play the part, and I said sure," he said.

The charity event raised $40,000 for St. Jude's. Ford related that he's not sure he understands even now why people would spend the $100-$175 ticket cost to hear him speak on Star Wars, but gives all the credit to John Williams' music and "some psychic vein" that he believes George Lucas tapped in to.

Source: Sci-Fi Wire [http://scifiwire.com/2010/05/harrison-fordstar-wars.php]

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Some of that stuff has already been explained on bonus DVDs etc., but it's nice than Mr. Ford is opening up! The last paragraph probably explains why he doesn't see Star Wars as a big deal: I think he just sees it as a fluke hit.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Cool

I don't understand why him talking is such a big deal

What could he possibly say beyond "Yes, I was in it, and things happened"

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Interesting... I just watched the mentioned snow scene five minutes ago and was wondering where they filmed it.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Han Solo is such a cool character. Harrison Ford is such a cool guy. I wanna be Han Solo.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Interesting (as several people have said already). It's nice that Harrison Ford is talking for charity, that's really great. Harrison Ford is such a great actor and Han Solo has to be my favourite Star Wars charecter (even if Mr Ford wanted to kill him off for the sake of emotional depth).

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
We came this close to having Kurt Russell play the part. That could have gone either way really.

Mr. Win

Jan 23, 2010
Tinq said:
Yeah, again, we didn't really learn much new here except the whole Chewbacca thing. Still, it's nice to know that not everyone involved in Star Wars thinks it was the greatest thing ever, even if it was.
Empire was in any event.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...I wonder if he answered the question "Who shot first?", because I know someone there must have asked it. Wonder how he feels about that?

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Hm...I wonder if he answered the question "Who shot first?", because I know someone there must have asked it. Wonder how he feels about that?
Do you mean the bar scene?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well it's nice to see them been a little more open with things.

Some intresting facts though

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Harrison Ford is an awesome actor but he has the most awkward interviews I've ever seen. I saw him on Letterman a few monthes ago, I thought he had altzimers or something.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
MaxChaos said:
Some of that stuff has already been explained on bonus DVDs etc., but it's nice than Mr. Ford is opening up! The last paragraph probably explains why he doesn't see Star Wars as a big deal: I think he just sees it as a fluke hit.
Yeah I was a little annoyed at the fact none of it was really new considering the pranks and stuff he's meant to get up to on sets.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
But who shot first?!?!

Dammit Harrison, I want an answer!

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
MaxChaos said:
A fluke that struck three times in a row.