Rumor: Hulu Coming to the 360

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Hulu Coming to the 360

Is Microsoft adding TV streaming to Xbox Live?

According to "reliable sources" Microsoft is in talks to bring the TV streaming service Hulu to the Xbox 360, and will unveil it at E3 in Los Angeles later this month. Much like the Netflix, says the source, Hulu would require a subscription to use, as well as a Gold Xbox Live membership.

The systems are apparently in place, and the software is said to be ready to go, with the only thing left to finalize are rights issues to Hulu content. Sadly, licensing issues means that Hulu content will likely only be available in the US.

This is all just rumor at the moment of course, but it certainly seems to fit in with the way that Microsoft is expanding Xbox Live, especially if market analyst Michael Pachter is right, and Microsoft wants to keep a firm grip on the content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100861-Pachter-Microsoft-Wants-to-Own-the-Internet] on the service.

Source: Shack News [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64087]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Maybe...you know...an internet browser? That'd be nicer, and that'd let us use Hulu, too.

Also, THEY HAVE THE A-TEAM?!

*goes to watch*

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Isn't Hulu free?

Why the fuck am I going to then pay for it?

Just use a COMPUTER.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Awesome!

What does the rest of the world get? :D

EDIT - Also, thanks Onyx Oblivion! That took me back :D Must... Find... A-Team...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
Isn't Hulu free?

Just use a COMPUTER.
I think they mean a subscription as in an account. Just something to log into. Like they did with Last FM.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woodsey said:
Isn't Hulu free?

Just use a COMPUTER.
I think they mean a subscription as in an account. Just something to log into. Like they did with Last FM.
And Facebook. And Twitter. And and and...it's just a 'premium service' as in silver is like a giant ad:
"Hey, sliver user! Did you know that Gold members get 33% off this thing! You did? Well then why don't give us your money get gold then?" Etc.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woodsey said:
Isn't Hulu free?

Just use a COMPUTER.
Perhaps, although that's an odd way of phrasing it:

"Hulu would require a subscription to use, as well as a Gold Xbox Live membership." "As well as" makes it sound like a subscription fee to me.

At any rate, you still have to pay for Gold.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
I already have the internet for streaming television, why would I watch TV on my Xbox on my TV when I can do that?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
So you pay your subscription and get another service that's already free? Now I see why the iPlayer isn't on 360s.

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Maybe...you know...an internet browser? That'd be nicer, and that'd let us use Hulu, too.
According to the german xbox product manager boris schneider-johne, this will never happen.And if you look at the ps3, you see why.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
According to "reliable sources" Microsoft is in talks to bring the TV streaming service Hulu to the Xbox 360, and will unveil it at E3 in Los Angeles later this month.
Hey, this sounds pretty good. Hopefully it'll be coming to England then.

Logan Westbrook said:
Sadly, licensing issues means that Hulu content will likely only be available in the US.
...well, screw you too Hulu.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Yay? I don't even use Netflix on my Xbox 360... why would I use this? I mean, it's a great service and all... but I just canceled my renewal for Xbox Live Gold Membership when I realized I never use it. I had completely forgotten to do it too and just finally remembered to do so some odd weeks ago.

This isn't going to get me to reinstate it.

Woodsey said:
Isn't Hulu free?

Just use a COMPUTER.
If I recall they were going to start charging for membership. I don't know if they ditched that plan realizing just how stupid it was or not, but that was the official word.

If they're that desperate to charge... I'd bet they'd charge even on Xbox Live Gold Membership.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
God damn.

At first I was like OH MY GAWD HULU ON MAH XBOX YESYESYES!!!!

And then I read the subscription part.

Damn.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
If Hulu stays free, I am all for this. As it stands one needs special software that needs to be purchased to use Hulu on a television.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I'd like to hear Microsoft's response.

My guess is it's something along the lines of "We do not comment on rumors and speculation."

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Thank goodness!
I was hoping to finally have Hulu on a venue I could watch!
Oh, wait-
Mr. Grey said:
If I recall they were going to start charging for membership. I don't know if they ditched that plan realizing just how stupid it was or not, but that was the official word.

If they're that desperate to charge... I'd bet they'd charge even on Xbox Live Gold Membership.
So PC viewers would be enjoying the fruit of Xbox users' labors?
I support this ironic reversal!

Eldritch Warlord said:
I'd like to hear Microsoft's response.

My guess is it's something along the lines of "We do not comment on rumors and speculation."
Or: "We do not comment on rumors and speculation. And WE WANT TO OWN THE INTERNET."