Bay: Transformers 3 Getting Rid of "Dorky Comedy"

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bay: Transformers 3 Getting Rid of "Dorky Comedy"

According to Michael Bay, Transformers 3 will be lacking the gags and comedy of its predecessor.

Revenge of the Fallen [http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Revenge-Two-Disc-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B001KZIRM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276247375&sr=8-1] may have made hundreds of millions of dollars, but there are some things in it that Michael Bay will not be using in the sequel. Topping the list is Revenge of the Fallen's sense of humor: "One thing we're getting rid of is what I call the dorky comedy," Bay said, speaking to USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-06-11-Transformers11_ST_N.htm]. "[The Twins are] basically gone."

Bay acknowledged that there were problems with Revenge of the Fallen, blaming the Writer's Guild Strike of 2007-2008. "I'll take some of the criticism," Bay said, referring to the scathing reviews the movie received. "It was very hard to put [the sequel] together that quickly after the writers' strike."

Bay has also revealed a few snippets of the movie's plot. Shockwave, the one-eyed, one-handed, Cybertronian dictator from the 80s cartoons, is the villain, and the movie focuses on the secret Transformer involvement in the space race between the USA and USSR."The movie is more of a mystery," Bay said. "It ties in what we know as history growing up as kids with what really happened." Shia LeBeouf returns as Sam Witwicky and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley plays his as yet unnamed new love interest.

Transformers 3 is scheduled for release July 1st, 2011.

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-06-11-Transformers11_ST_N.htm] via Coming Soon [http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=66973]

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
Thank God no Megan Fox in this one.

Neat that they are trying out storylines that happened in the cartoon of the 1980s.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
He just needs to learn when to cut out unnecessary scenes. And he is starting to get it.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
hardcharger said:
So Transformers 3 will be two and half hours of just explosions?
The problem is that I didn't find Transformers(watched it when it came on TV once) to have particularly good effects. The explosions were...meh.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
So he's shinning up the run-over, dried up dog turds for another pass, huh?

No thanks. I've had enough of my childhood raped, thank you very much.

EDIT: Also, since when was Shockwave a dictator? He manned the transport device that warped them back and forth to Cybertron. He's Megatron's door man. WTF. Sure, he tried a coup once or twice, iirc, but... dictator?

Ugh.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, that's two major improvements right there: No more retarded Twins, and a better villain (I mean, come on, Megatron was just boring in those movies). If they're smart they'll also take out the abomination that was Wheelie.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I might be one of the few people that actually liked Transformers 2. It wasnt as good as the first one by far, but it really had its moments. The problem is that it spends WAY too much time on the humans and also that the AWESOME bumblebee was more or less swapped for the most awful "comedy" couple in a movie in decades (the twins ;_; )

The fight scene with Optimus in the forest for example was pure win. The return of that special agent (I forget his name) was also awesome. And tbh, I think Megan Fox did as good a job as Shia in the second one. Her interactions with that little spybot was really fun, and it was refreshing to see a female cast member able to take care of herself a bit instead of screaming and running away.

That said. Tone down the romance (why does Shia need a love interest really...), tone up the bot-action and MOAR BUMBLEBEE. His raidotalk in the first movie was so brilliant I laughed happy tears.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
tzimize said:
I might be one of the few people that actually liked Transformers 2. It wasnt as good as the first one by far, but it really had its moments. The problem is that it spends WAY too much time on the humans and also that the AWESOME bumblebee was more or less swapped for the most awful "comedy" couple in a movie in decades (the twins ;_; )

The fight scene with Optimus in the forest for example was pure win. The return of that special agent (I forget his name) was also awesome. And tbh, I think Megan Fox did as good a job as Shia in the second one. Her interactions with that little spybot was really fun, and it was refreshing to see a female cast member able to take care of herself a bit instead of screaming and running away.

That said. Tone down the romance (why does Shia need a love interest really...), tone up the bot-action and MOAR BUMBLEBEE. His raidotalk in the first movie was so brilliant I laughed happy tears.
As I said he just needs to learn when to cut scenes.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Well this is looking a lot better. First they get rid of the bimbo actress, then they get rid of the dorky comedy. Now all they have to do it replace the worthless director and the hack screenwriters and they MAY have a film I'd be half-way interested in seeing.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I'm sorry, I am not clear on a few things...
Was Transformers 2 still being written (or not) during the writers strike?

The only place the strike only had influence was at shows that were being produced at the time (such as a very lacking third season of Avatar)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
YEY! he gets it! although i lied the twins =( they added comedy for me...but aslong as Bumblebee stays and more badass characters are added (Blurr anyone? or Rumble?)

Anyways, this should hopefully be the movie we all want, it will hopefully be better than all the Slag he created last year.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
The 'comedy' was one of the worst things about the movies (especially the second) in my opinion, but just leaving it out won't magically turn them into good movies... I don't really believe the third one will be any good if the first two sucked so hard.

Still... Damn, Shockwave. Is it a bad thing if I kinda want to go see TF3 now, just because he's gonna be the main villain?

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq84/DurrHurr/characters/shockwavecomic5qw2.jpg