Hacker Adds Mouse Support to PSP

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Hacker Adds Mouse Support to PSP

Hackers: They do things because they can, regardless of the actual utility of the project. Case in point, adding support for a PC mouse to Sony's handheld PSP.

Crafted by a German techie, the hack combines all the portability of the PSP with the completely stationary platform requirements of a mouse. In essence, it doesn't make much damn sense.

As the below footage detailing the project shows however, it does make playing first-person shooters much easier.

I won't claim familiarity with the technical wizardry employed to rig this thing up. Instead, I'll let SlashGear explain how it was accomplished [http://www.slashgear.com/psp-mouse-hack-video-0542845/]:

It's not USB at all that connecting the mouse to the PSP. Instead an old PS/2 mouse has been used, together with the PSP's serial port. A quick breadboard with the ATMEL ATmega8 chip allowed him to write up some code for the PSP; it eventually connects via the PSP Slim Remote.

All of the mouse buttons work, as does the scroll wheel, and there's even adjustable scaling and sample rates. You can map different PSP buttons to the mouse's controls, too.

Dubiously useful? Completely unnecessary? A waste of free time? Maybe, but you can bet that the millions of professional Coded Arms players around the world are going to want one.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Oh dear lords of Kobol, this is actually the best thing I have read in the entire day.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I can see the kids on Japanese subways playing their PSPs with their mice to the glass, blinding those looking at the train with the optical lazer...

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
Nice work! Shame that the movement is going to be a bit of a difficulty, still *thumbs up*

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Erana said:
I can see the kids on Japanese subways playing their PSPs with their mice to the glass, blinding those looking at the train with the optical lazer...
Sounds like it suddenly has a second use.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
sheic99 said:
Erana said:
All things considered, they'd make an anime out of it.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Erana said:
sheic99 said:
Erana said:
With tentacle monsters!

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
An interesting and impressive achievement adding PS/2 support to a PSP.

How useful will be?. That I'm not sure that depends on reliability and mobility concerns.

I think it's kind of a shame that person is being labeled a hacker, it's not exploiting anything...just adding functionality.

HydraZulu

Oct 6, 2008
Iori35 said:
An interesting and impressive achievement adding PS/2 support to a PSP.

How useful will be?. That I'm not sure that depends on reliability and mobility concerns.

I think it's kind of a shame that person is being labeled a hacker, it's not exploiting anything...just adding functionality.
I do believe you are mistaking 'hacker' for something else. Specifically a cracker.

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
Yeah, I really don't know how to respond to that...

Can someone else help me out, or clue me in to what HydraZulu is talking about please?

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
A hacker is a person that uses his knowledge to increase performance or add new features to equipment, software,... He can also help make computer systems better by showing or discovering their bugs, weakneses.
A cracker is someone that accesses computer systems to steal data, do harm, exploit things.

Hackers are mistakingly taken for crackers so some less educated people think that hackers are bad but they are thinking of crackers.

I hope that this is explained well enough. If not just google both terms and you'll find your answer.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Erana said:
sheic99 said:
Erana said:
And it would still be better than School Days.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
gxs said:
A hacker is a person that uses his knowledge to increase performance or add new features to equipment, software,... He can also help make computer systems better by showing or discovering their bugs, weakneses.
A cracker is someone that accesses computer systems to steal data, do harm, exploit things.

Hackers are mistakingly taken for crackers so some less educated people think that hackers are bad but they are thinking of crackers.

I hope that this is explained well enough. If not just google both terms and you'll find your answer.
In addition, hackers are either white hat or grey hat, meaning that they'll either check for security problems in order to fix them or just out of natural curiosity. Crackers are black hat and will, as you said, seek to exploit bugs rather than trying to fix them. Unfortunately, society generally labels the term "hacker" as being a black hat, though it's far from the truth. Then we educated people can just point and laugh at society, so it evens out.

MiodekPL

Apr 5, 2009
If someone adds something like that for X360 or PS3, I'll consider buying one of those :)
Neat idea.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
sheic99 said:
Erana said:
sheic99 said:
Erana said:
And it would still be better than School Days.
Oi. I liked School Days. At least it wasn't Love Hina all over again.

Err... this is dubiously awesome. I would totally do this, except I lack a PSP. I'll tell my friend though, he'll likely enjoy it.