194: The Five Habits of Highly Addicted Gamers

Shindiggity

Jul 11, 2008
BigBoote66 said:
I need to apologize in advance for the following criticism; I normally try to be constructive, but I can't let this stand:

Good lord, what a terrible article - worst I've ever read on this site. You can include me in the growing list of readers who think this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The list would be accurately titled, "5 things that some people do, some times, that can be associated with gaming, but maybe not."

Gaming "tics"? Besides the fact that anyone's grandma, if shown how to play a racing game, will likely be leaning and tilting as she corners, putting "Body English" on actions is pretty common to most activities. Ever heard of bowling? Talking to the AI? So my dad is addicted to carpentry or plumbing because he swears at his tools when he hits a rough spot? These two habits have absolutely no correlation to addictive behavior, gaming or otherwise.

The next two might have a slight correlation, but they probably correlate much more strongly to other behaviors. Are aspiring filmmakers addicted when they create their own mini-epics with Mom & Dad's camcorder? And isn't turning a game into a sandbox pretty much what we encourage in our children?

The last one is the only thing that comes close to something that is both specific to gaming and indicative of issues that might lead to addiction. Too bad the author chooses some made-up phrase ("suicide gamer"?) when there is a well known term: griefer. The fact that he doesn't realize this, nor does he use it as a starting point for what could be an interesting exploration of the relationship between boredom, griefing and addiction, just underscores the uselessness of the piece.
This ^ ^

Also, calling a modder an addict is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen on this site.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
A little off topic but, my parents use to say that if I played video games and watched TV to much, the shape of my eyes would turn to squares.

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
As mentioned by others, I'm in agreement with UltraBlumpkin and BigBoote66. This article was pretty lame, and they've already covered pretty much what I was thinking when I read it.

The talking to A.I. thing kind of bugged me a little more than the others though, since I assumed people understood that games are supposed to be an INTERACTIVE form of entertainment. Sure, it's not like the A.I. can hear you, but how many people talk to movies and shows? We've all sat through a "scary" movie with someone who's telling the people on the screen what to do.

In fact, I'm pretty sure every one of us has talked to SOMETHING inanimate at least once in our lives. As long as you aren't having complete conversations with anything that's not talking back.... But yeah, I really don't see anything wrong with trash talking the A.I. Pretty much every gamer I know has done it at least a couple of times. Especially considering if the game kills you in an unfair manner beforehand or something.

I still remember getting cheaply rammed and sent crashing in Midnight Club 3, only to catch up and pass the offending car while commenting "Yeah, see you later ASSHOLE. That's what happens *****. That's what happens."

Wanderer1911

Feb 4, 2009
Lmao, that was a great article. I think I display all of those traits to one extent or another. It?s the facial twitch and some of my odd mannerisms that have started putting people off. I am not sure for sure but I think it?s only in the last few years that I have started to become quirky. Half of me is concerned and wants to change? but only half.

Incompl te

Dec 13, 2008
You write fantastically, brilliant article. I actually get some of those (although the whole sniper whispering is odd to say the least).

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
An interesting article - I myself am the sort of gamer that talks to the characters while I'm gaming.

Here's an example from Halo 3, with the 'I Would Have Been Your Daddy' Skull on:

Brute: It's the Demon!
Me: Damn straight, my brother from another mother!
Brute: Kill the Demon!
Me: NOW we're talking! Here, I'll help motivate you!
*Shoots, gets hit by Fuel Rod Cannon*
Me: Oh no you didn't. OH NO YOU DIDN'T!
*Kills a Brute*
Brute: He was my lover!
Me: And now you can join him. IN HELL!

I tangents a lot as well. I also tend to quote Arby 'n The Chief, a show which I would otherwise not give two hoots about.

Also, you forgot to mention the type of gamer with an addiction for Glitch Hunting (a place where I have all bases covered). Sometimes, half the fun of the game is merely finding and exploiting their glitches, in my opinion.

SulfuricDonut

Feb 25, 2009
lol, i talk to the ai sometimes, mainly yelling GET OWNED! at them after an impressive kill, or laughing at them for making an mistake.

I never controller-twitch though, because that slight excess movement might throw off your thumbstick fingers, altering your movement, and eventually leading to your death.

Blindem

Feb 10, 2009
UltraBlumpkin said:
So the "5 Habits" you seem to identify are:

1. Intense Concentration
2. Talking to the game/AI
3. Modding/Altering the game
4. "Emergent Gameplay" - which I would call "creativity"
5. Suicide Gamers - limited to games where this is possible

I don't know what your experience is with video games, but I would guess you don't know any gaming addicts. I know "Top X" lists are all the rave in magazines these days, but this seems like a rather unfounded list for something that is so easily diagnosed. Let me give you a few ideas of what "Gaming Addiction" is really about:

1. The person stops caring about the real world around them, and chooses to live vicariously through a virtual one. (The next 4 fall into this general category, but I think this sums up the beginning of the addiction)
2. The game(s) take precedence over the person's real needs, such as eating, exercising and general hygiene. This is why South Park depicts a fat, unkempt loser eating cheetos.
3. The game(s) become more important than the person's job, family and friends.
4. The person develops reasons or excuses as to why he/she can spend so much time playing the game(s). They say "Oh I just gotta finish this one level" or "I just gotta get this achievement", and the task takes them hours, if not days to complete.
5. When the person becomes immersed in the game(s) while not playing it.

These might sound like a drug addicts habits, but that's because addictions always trend toward the same ends. These are very real issues, one's I've had to deal with personally to some extent, and with others around me. Regardless of the circumstances the point remains the same, when you become enveloped in a specific substance/world/state of mind, it will become all that matters.
QFT. This "article" was terrible; the poster here captured, in a simple post, much more of what I expected to see from this piece..

anguaji

Jul 22, 2008
re: the suicidal gamer

wasn't there an article in this very magazine recently about how we're seemingly (chemically? psychologically? i forget) happier when we die in a game, or some such... er... thing...

can't talk. killing self in Liberty City. brb.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I have to agree with Hector and BigBoote; this article is a complete rip from the ass, splattered on the white board for all to see and smell. There have been a number of other articles on the Escapist that have had the same quality, but this one failed miserably to hide it.

AndresCL

Feb 2, 2009
Labyrinth said:
The glare.. Hurts.. so.. good..

I honestly don't know if I'm addicted to gaming. I've been addicted to individual games in the past, playing them religiously, but never to the point where I couldn't put them down and walk away. That is once the blisters had started forming calluses and my eyes were crusted open from not blinking. Then I back away from the computer. Sometimes.

Addiction, obsession or hobby, gaming gives a lot of people a lot of quirks. I think we're more interesting for it.
This

Epic_Rocker

Mar 15, 2009
Hahh.. I'm not an addict! Honestly, I'm no- OH SHIT! My team's gettin' pwned. Finish this post later! *Runs off to finish Team Deathmatch.*

In all seriousness, I'd say I'm pretty addicted considering I'm posting on a forum for a website devoted to video games. Tis difficult to put down the controller, and yes, I yell at the AI if they kill me/I kill them.

Lo6ic

Mar 26, 2008
Most unfortunate article, it reads like a college student essay. Not only did this article cover a subject so over used that by compression Paris Hilton would be a relative virgin but it also covered it in such a way that it would make George Bush Jr look like a linguistic genius.

'Addicted Gamers' tend have real symptoms to the tune of eating disorders, sleep disorders, RSI and other more serious problems than a passion for modding levels.

The research in to the piece of writing seems to be less based on actual research and more based on the aspersions of someone with limited knowledge of the modern gaming society.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
coil said:
I have to agree with some of the above posters... this article could be the Star Wars Missile Defense System for its accuracy. There's a BIG difference between an enthusiastic gamer (who might do all five of the article's activities) and an addicted/obsessive one, who might display some or all of the symptoms offered by UltraBlumpkin. I'm honestly pretty disappointed that this site - whose features I generally respect and enjoy reading - would put out such an unresearched, half-assed "flavor piece". This is the kind of misinformation that gets the non-gaming general public so worried about games.

Write about *real* addiction, not healthy enthusiasm. This article helps no one.
Agreed. After reading this article, I feel like every single one of it's statements were the equivalent of a javelin being hurled into my skull.

I've been playing video games for well over 20 years, and while I have veered into some form of minor addiction to a very few choice titles (Phantasy Star Online to name one), I know when it's time to put the controller down and go grab some 'Real Life' by the horns.

I'm obviously not going to quit my job over a video game; The fact that people HAVE done this is incredibly sad and pathetic. They go through all that just to spend their lives outwitting a bunch of 0s and 1s. These generally tend to be people of weak willpower who were more than likely not properly disciplined on the subject as a child or were dropped on their head by the doctor when they were fresh out of the womb, hence lacking any mental capacity for logic or common sense.

Many of the things listed in the article are signs of immersion, not addiction, and I likes me some goddamn immersion! When a new highly-anticipated RPG rolls around and I get my hands on it, I want to be left alone with it to partake in the aforementioned immersion of the game! I keep an eye on the time, I'll come out when I feel it's necessary like when nature calls or I'm hungry or begin to smell a bit, haha!

On a side note, I do enjoy writing quite a bit and it's because of that that I probably felt this article was of sub-par quality and sparse on real facts. I would honestly love the chance to contribute an objective and informative column to the Escapist; one that would make the readers not scoff in disgust at some pale stereotype of themselves and their gaming colleagues, but instead treat them to looking at an aspect of the game industry from a perspective that they might have not considered before.

A well-rounded and informed gamer is the best gamer. The antithesis is a "fanboy/girl."

backlands

Mar 27, 2009
Oh. My. Lord.

This was the first article I ever read on Escapist. And it was just terrible. For one thing if your writing a article on gaming at least make sure you know some of the vocabulary, suicide gamer = griefer!

And IMO a griefer isn't just a FPS phenomena anymore. You can find them in any, and I stress the word any, online game. (And yes I even mean the truly crappy games that there's no chance of any person becoming addict to.) There is always something in an online game that someone can do to get tagged as a griefer. FPS = Team Killing, Suiciding. MMO = Killstealing or Mob Mopping as I call it :p (when you go in an area and just kill everything for the 'fun of it.' There are more types but my brain hurts so I'll write something else now. :)

Nowadays the moving the controller also isn't all craziness. Look at the Wiimote, and the PS3 Gyro controller. Two of the three console industry leaders have made it so that this is a very normal and necessary thing to do, move that controller! Its fun! Its exciting! Its the right thing to do! :)

Also, the idea that game modding shows addiction is completely false. I for one mod games, the only reason I mod games is because I want to do that for a living. So am I going to be addicted to my job? (Well Maybe ^.^) But honestly I just see it as a gamers creative side coming out, and we all know that gamers can (and lots are) be very creative.

P.S. Some people consider me addicted to gaming simply because I can stay by myself in my room for hours on end. I just find this to be immersion. Its all a matter of opinion. And that's all that this post reflects, my opinion. Don't hate me for it!

scoHish

Mar 27, 2008
I developed a few of these when I started getting really deep into COD4. Namely trash talking the A.I.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
ae86gamer said:
Wow....do they have places you can go to where you can meet other addicts..I imagine playing against them would be awesome!
That would be so cool!

die4769

Mar 17, 2008
I found this article to be very false. Dean, does your real name happen to be Jack Thompson?