194: The Lost Years

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
ShadowKirby said:
I never said (and if I did I was wrong) that gaming "addiction" was the same thing as drug addiction. Drug addiction, or smoking for that matter, is something physical while gaming "addiction" is more like gambling addiction. Now, you call that human idiocy but I'm sure doctors would rather talk about a psychological condition.
ahem...
...but these people are not like this because of games, they all have some underlying cause of their disorder. If there weren't any games around, they would've found other outlets for their obsession...
I do agree that there must be some psychological cause. Depression, [whatever] complex, some obsessive compulsive disorder or something. Hell, psychology has terms of every single behavioral element, just slap 'disorder' or 'complex' on the end, and presto, you have a diagnosis. I bet, if you were examined by a clinical psychiatrist night now, he would find at least something wrong with you if he looks close enough, and this goes to every single human being on Earth. I can only cite the '12 Monkeys paradigm': if you suddenly found yourself inside an insane asylum, could you prove you don't belong there? I guess not.

ShadowKirby said:
Addiction may not be the right word but find me a better one and I'll use it.
Uhm..."gamer"? I totally understand why the doctors didn't put the term "gaming addiction" on the map. It had such a hazy description that almost 2/3 of today's gamers would qualify in one way or another. How do you differentiate between "hardcore gamer" and "hopeless addict"? I think many self-proclaimed "gamers" today are addicts in the sense, that they can't go without their gaming for long, or at least not without some consequences. A soccer-mom who plays Solitaire or Bejeweled on boring Sunday afternoons may not even notice if you take away her games, but let's look at the other side, the Hardcore Gamers. If someone plays a single game as a habit, say Billy plays CS or Halo 3 a few hours a day, he is a gamer. If Billy plays his game, say, 4-5 hours a day, attends competitions and events for his game, we call him a Hardcore Gamer. And there are the so called addicts, whose routine only differs in playing some more and going out a little less. The border is so narrow...

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Thankfully I only lost a couple of weeks to Capture the Flag on Quake. Man did I love playing that though.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
Thank you to the people to wrote this, if you try and search about things like this on google the majority of the results ironically are a near endless sea of gaming websites trying to sell you something, or biased non gamer opinions at best.

It may not be seen as one by many in fact most gamers seem to react badly to this line of thinking, but I've been able to see gaming as a form of addiction for a while now, even the way the games are constructed actually encourages longer playtime much like other forms of addiction. Humans generally adore escapism (lol did you see what I did there) and although peoples forms of it are different, what it all boils down to I guess is self control. No matter how boring your real life may be that's the thing that effects everything else about you in the end.

Ryan Sumo

Jul 14, 2008
While I shy away from calling gaming an addiction, I do understand how it feels like you can lose parts of your life to gaming. It's why I adamantly refuse to take on any MMO, because at least with non MMO games I can step away any time I want to and go back into the "real" world with no responsibilities of any kind to a guild.

Jondallar

Mar 23, 2009
I can relate to this article. I can only class what the 2 years I spent playing my favorite MMO with out and restraint as an addiction. It was a psychological addiction as someone else mentioned before akin to a gambling addiction. For me it was several things got me hooked and none of them are inherently addictive or "evil"a)The small adrendaline rush I received every time I opened a chest and got loot; b) A means to control what was otherwise a fairly bored and unfulfilled life; and c) A social network of like minded individuals who encouraged and respected me for my skills and ability in game/forum posting and general joking around.

Most gamers who post on any gaming forum are dedicated to gaming more than the average person out there. And this dedicaton leads to defensiveness if people start talking about addiction and other negastive associations. I think we all secretly deep down wonder if we are addicted or showing addictive behavior and we dont like the idea of it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Okay wait a second is this the same Jorge Garcia from "Lost"? given all the ways "Lost" is mentioned in quotes here I am wondering. The actor was born in 1973 though, which makes him 36 not 30. Besides this doesn't quite jibe from what little I've read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Garcia

At any rate, my thoughts on reading this are more or less along the lines of "BS" to an extent. I will say that there are some addictive components to video games, and indeed I believe this is one of the problems with the gaiming industry and how it's turned out because it has been able to deal with gamers more like junkies on some levels than consumers. The bottom line being that it's very powerful escapism, irregardless of the nature of the game.

People seek escapism to get away from an existance they aren't happy with, and honestly that includes a massive amount of the population. Jorge is very much a fellow member of "The Lost Generation" (ie Gen X) and as such a member of the group being boned by society in general.

In general "Quake 2" did not cause him to fail in school. Rather he fell prey to a common occurance in college of people deciding they basically aren't happy with where things are going, feel it's all pointless despite the hype, and focus on other things at the expense of school. The collegiate "super slacker" is a stereotype that has been around forever, if it wasn't a video game (Gen X geek fodder) it could have been anything from goofing off to friends, to non-sanctioned sports, to drugs, to just partying life away. In the end if "Quake" wasn't there something else would have been, video games can't really "snare" you that way unless your looking for escapism, which increasing numbers of people are.

I would point out that "Gen X and education" has been an issue for a very long time, people complain about flagging scores and such (with mixed truth behind it) but in the end it occurs because most Gen-Xers eventually realized they are doomed. College degrees having long since become fairly meaningless since they don't even open doors at the moment. Simply put the jobs and oppertunities they "prepare you for" simply do not exist, and succeeding is as much about dumb luck and who you knowm, than any kind of education contrary to what you might hear. Heck in high school a lot of people realize pretty quick that if they aren't picked out as a genius or super-athlete they are pretty much doomed for a lifelong rut IF they can even find a rut to sit in. Things WILL change for Generation Y a bit as the Baby Boomers will finally be dead despite all the medical science keeping them going, but Generation X is pretty much "lost" and was known to be before it was even born. We're the 30 year old basement dweller generation due to people not listening to sociologists and embracing things like zero population growth when they had a chance.

To put things in another way, having a Bachelor's degree probably wouldn't have changed anything as far as your life went, despite what you might thing retroactively. I know people who have bloody masters degrees who are forced to work retail. Starting a job while in college "to help pay the bills while I finish my degree, then I'll be going places" and in the end that promising degree became a multi-hundred thousand dollar wall hanging.

When it came to Gen X it pretty much comes down to there being no really good reason why if your can (and your not on the street) you shouldn't sit there and dull the bloody pain of existance. There is a reason why we're all stereotypically goth, emo, and bloody depressed, with the music of our generation in most cases having the general theme of "life sucks, nothing matters" because in the end that's what it is for us. Heck even that same music is drowned out in a practice sense by stuff from the 1960s and 1970s because the Baby Boomers still have all the money and jobs and are the primary target for marketing... even now with Gen-Y slowly on it's way with a more optimistic outlook we're still pretty much choked with "oldies" channels for that reason.

Plus I'll be totally blunt, whether your the guy from Lost, or just had a change of fortune with the family you mentioned and such, the big deal is that you were lucky enough to get a chance to turn things around, and when your life became worth living you gave up the escapism. Basically you were lucky and got a chance that many people in this generation will not ever have, and you grabbed it. Chances are Quake 2 kept you alive and sane, and gave you something to grab onto until those oppertunities appeared.

But also understand, I'm a bitter disabled A$$ hole in addition to everything else, so what I think should be taken with a grain of salt (I'm at least fair enough to point that out in various messages). That's still what I think though, and honestly there are plenty of academics that would agree with me, and who saw this coming before it even happened.

I probably would have been scr@wed anyway for reasons I won't go into yet again, but the bottom line I did quite a bit of looking into why everything blows chips at one time, especially when a bit of it was mentioned when I was in school. Today I've pretty much
came to the conclusion that Gen X are basically the victims of a sociological holocaust caused by the stupidity of our grandparents who screamed "whew! baby boom, let's all go screw and hav kids!" despite being told it was idiotic, and those kids, our parents (the baby boomers) preferring to see the coming problems as someone else's job to deal with and seemingly doing everything they could to make the world as annoying as humanly possible when we got here.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Good article.

Life really is boring. Especially when compared to games. I always felt this.

But then a few years ago, I had a thought. "It's easy to say life is boring, but I can never honestly say that I tried hard at it. I can never say I took up the challenge, rather than follow the easy road. Perhaps I should try it."

What followed wass a rather pedestrian and personal version of "Yes Man", where I pushed my comfort zone out and discovered that I could change my life and make it much, much more interesting.

I still love games. Sometimes still play them for long hours. But it's no longer because my life is boring. It's because my life is better with them in it.

I have a lot of respect for Jorge Garcia. Mastering ourselves is the first step to mastering our life.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
I agree with the article that gaming can be addicting (though I don't understand it but very real cases are cited everyday) And the effects can very negatively impact your life. I also understand that it's a result of escapism which all humans crave. BUT and it's a big one

I will not accept the idea as mentioned in a few of the comments that we do this because we are generation X "the lost generation" and that is what we do because our lives are more boring then all lives before us and that what we are doing is losing time. Escapism is a very old concept that dates back to the invention of music and arts. It is not a new advent created by the "lost generation" Gen X. We are not "special" enough to lay claim to this prize and certainly we cannot lay detriment to escapism through gaming as a whole.

We cannot directly associate the decay of a personal life with the picking up of video games habitually. Plenty of people ruin their lives everyday without them. To say that you lost years due to gaming, while being linearly accurate, would they have not been "lost" doing something else? I think it is a rather negative stance to take. In fact video games for me, kept me from a lot of trouble. In high school I partied and had lots of fun but I also spent many nights (when my friends got into serious trouble) sitting at home playing video games instead of being a hoodlum with them which was basically the flip of a coin as to what I would be doing that night. The same goes for college. The fact that I had the outlet gave me an option. Now then, since we can't directly relate video games to bad decisions my point is mote. But the over lying factor is that we cannot directly say video games and their pull are inherently bad either.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
Very well written article, and it spoke to me as I am currently in college and use too much time at games. A friend of mine have gone cold turkey, and sold his desktop computer because he struggeled just to finish classes. It has been seen that gamers, at least "hardcore ones" actually have changes in their reward center in their brain, so addiction is a viable word. Although I guess compulsion is more correct since factors from the outside can change your habits quite fast, (girlfriend, friends, job, parents). I Think I owe alot for living in a house with several friend that doesent game nearly to the extent of what I do. And I am currently studying biology wich is great fun, just not AS fun as Pwning in LOL.

Anyway, gaming should not be at anyones highest prioritry, even if your brain doesent agree. My advice is to always be aware of the real world, make yourself busy with other hobbies. You can still have that odd weekend where you completely loose yourself in a game like skyrim, but always be aware that you have to stop completely at some point.

My drug of choice is Currently a heavily modded UFO extraterrestrials, but I got it on my laptop so I can get distracted by people around me. It kinda works for me.

And stay away from MMORPGS, if gaming is an addiction, WOW is heroin.