Russian Teen Killed Over Counter-Strike

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Russian Teen Killed Over Counter-Strike

A Russian teenager is headed to the big house after murdering his friend over a game of Counter-Strike [http://store.steampowered.com/app/240/] gone horribly wrong.

Alexander, a 14-year-old teenager, met 17-year-old Alexei at a Novosibirsk cyber café for a brisk, booze-fueled night of one-on-one Counter-Strike. The younger boy apparently got his ass kicked rather badly over the course of the evening and he didn't take it very well; "several fights" between the two had to be broken up by café staff. Nonetheless, the duo kept drinking and playing until Alexander finally decided he'd had enough and left.

He wasn't finished with Alexei, however, and when the older teen finally left the café at 3 am, Alexander and another friend were waiting for him. According to the website of the Google translated [http://www.prokuratura-nso.ru/]), Alexander "inflicted multiple blows with hands and feet to the torso and head, from which the victim fell to the ground." At that point he began to jump on the victim's chest and kick him repeatedly; Alexei died on the scene as a result of the beating.

Alexander and his friend "half-buried" the body, which was discovered the next morning. In court, the teen claimed that his friend wasn't involved in either the killing or the attempted disposal of the body - apparently he just stood around and watched, which I guess is okay in Russia - and was eventually found guilty of "intentional infliction of grievous bodily harm" and sentenced to four years confinement in a juvenile prison.

Vodka, idiot teenagers, smack-talk run amok... There's probably a lesson to be learned in there somewhere but I just can't put my finger on it. I do wonder, however, why café staff didn't bounce both of them when they first started fighting. If they weren't so boozed up they could've beaten the crap out of each other out in the street, spit some teeth and then made their way home more or less intact.

Source: Planet Half-Life [http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=158086]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
It is so definitely the game's fault, not the alcohol and/or fierce competetion between two young males with raging hormones.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Yet another reason why I don't drink. That's just sad, in more ways than one...

Sir_Nolan

May 4, 2009
Erana said:
It is so definitely the game's fault, not the alcohol and/or fierce competetion between two young males with raging hormones.
sarcasm, LOL

or do you work for the law offices of Jack Thompson?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Err...how can you say the game wasn't involved in this? Obviously the drinking played a bigger role, but the kid was extremely upset in losing to this other guy countless number of times. The game provoked him, and the drinking enabled him. I just think that the game is partially to blame. Its also the cafe's fault for letting fights break out and then letting them continue playing.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
Sir_Nolan said:
Erana said:
sarcasm, LOL

or do you work for the law offices of Jack Thompson?
no its well known that 14 year olds are at the perfect age to not be affected by alcohol in any way, also its in that one year that any mental illnesses also have no affect

CY_Definitive

May 5, 2009
*Chuckles* Maybe he was a team killer, and the friend who murdered him felt he should experience an actual "team killing" to see what it feels like. It says in the article that the kid was getting his ass beat, but honestly, why not just walk over to the friend and muss their controller up Cruisn' USA arcade style? Or give them an extra foot like a DDR player?

Not that it condones the action, but, well...*Blinks*

Other than it being funny, I can't think of anything else to say about it.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Erana said:
Well said. I have a horrible feeling this is going to be the next stage of the media's "video games cause murder" crusade, even though the two of them were apparently very drunk, which just possibly might have had more to do with the guy getting beaten to death.

Also, guilty of "intentional infliction of grievous bodily harm"? He killed the guy! He tried to bury the body! Just because he's 14 doesn't mean he should get let off the hook for that!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
4 years behind bars for murder? I would expect at least 10-15 years not just 4. Well, I guess when you commit murder in Russia, you show everyone how tough you are and the russians want everyone to believe that they are not to be F***ed around with.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Malygris said:
If they weren't so boozed up they could've beaten the crap out of each other out in the street, spit some teeth and then made their way home more or less intact.
This is a serious question Malygris, even though it sounds silly. Have you ever actually encountered a drunk angry Russian before?

Even if they were teenagers I don't think the Cafe's staff will have wanted those boy's anger directed at them, although they might hire bouncers now.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Err...how can you say the game wasn't involved in this? Obviously the drinking played a bigger role, but the kid was extremely upset in losing to this other guy countless number of times. The game provoked him, and the drinking enabled him.
I think you can safely say that the game had little to do with this situation because in replacing it with any other competitive activity, it's very probable that the same situation would have occurred. The other factors (drinking, mind set, youth, getting your ass beat) were more important to contributing to the outcome than the game itself. The could have easily been bowling or having a coloring contest.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
ckeymel said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Err...how can you say the game wasn't involved in this? Obviously the drinking played a bigger role, but the kid was extremely upset in losing to this other guy countless number of times. The game provoked him, and the drinking enabled him.
I think you can safely say that the game had little to do with this situation because in replacing it with any other competitive activity, it's very probable that the same situation would have occurred. The other factors (drinking, mind set, youth, getting your ass beat) were more important to contributing to the outcome than the game itself. The could have easily been bowling or having a coloring contest.
Yes, (this isn't your fault since I edited my post to actually flesh out what I thought) but I think that its more of the fault of the cafe as well. It very well could've been bowling, but then again...why would they be bowling together? o_O

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
Well...

I guess the moral of this story is to not mix alcohol and Counter-Strike?

Other than that, it seems like another pointless murder...kinda sad, really.