Sam Raimi Enthuses About World of Warcraft Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sam Raimi Enthuses About World of Warcraft Movie

Want to know what it's like when a real gaming fan is in charge of a videogame movie? Read on.

It's been nearly a year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93330-Sam-Raimi-Set-to-Direct-Warcraft-Movie] since Sam Raimi's involvement with the World of Warcraft movie was announced, and speaking outside the Saturn awards [http://www.saturnawards.org/], he let us in on how the project was coming along.

"We're still working on the story right now. We've got a 40 page document which needs a lot more work, but every draft that we do with Robert Rodat [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0734441/] gets better and better. We're finding the characters, and through the characters we're finding the story."

"There's no real angle on it, we're just trying to create realistic character that can live in the world of Warcraft, as though you were in the game itself, in one or two or three of those environments, and see the interaction with those great mythical, iconic characters."

Raimi also spoke about his love for the game itself, saying the characters and the environments really appealed to him: "I love the visual world that the guys over at Blizzard have created. It's incredibly, engrossingly, terrifying and exciting. I like the use of scale; the giant monsters they have. I love the different landscapes your character can move through. I like the first person interaction you have with other player online. "

"There's so many aspect of the game that I really enjoy. I like doing sword battles, performing spells and learning new spells and getting to the next level like everyone else ... I had a level 29 shaman that somebody deleted by accident, and now I have a new character I've worked all the way up to level 72."

Raimi really does seem to love World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Battle-Chest-Mac/dp/B000H96C9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278439921&sr=1-2], which seems like a real mark in the movie's favor. A talented director that understands the source material is a boon to any movie, but in the all-too-often disappointing world of videogame movies, it's positively exciting.

Source: Collider [http://www.collider.com/2010/06/25/sam-raimi-interview-world-of-warcraft-movie-oz-the-hobbit-saturn-awards/] via Voodoo Extreme [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/55743/World-Of-WarCraft-Movie-Update]

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Oh. Dear. God. No.

Sam, I love you and you are an amazing director. Spiderman 1 and 2 and Evil Dead are all great movies. I even liked Drag Me To Hell.

But no, Sam. Please no.

Why call it a 'world of warcraft' movie? Just call it a 'warcraft' movie! Base it off of the storyline from the first two games. It's enough. You don't need to dive into the universe that is WoW. It's already too huge, you'd never be able to make a movie off of that.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"There's so many aspect of the game that I really enjoy. I like doing sword battles, performing spells and learning new spells and learning new spells
Is that a Typo?

Calumon: Maybe Sam was stuck on a loop?
Or maybe he just really likes to learn new spells. :3

Anyway, I'm not the least bit interested in a WoW movie, but if it's gonna be made anyway, might as well get someone with some real talent to do it. Maybe we'll even get a decent movie out of it, WoW connection or not. Go Raimi!

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
The way I see it, one of three films may come of this:

• 1. An unintentional but well-mannered video game movie adaptation...
    2. A solid, well shot, well acted retelling of the World of Warcraft mythology...
    3. A campy, fantasy thrill ride starring an armor ridden Bruce Campbell fending off Orcs with a shotgun...

[small]...personally, I'm hoping for #3...[/small]

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Furburt said:
However, if Sam Raimi, after making this film, does not immediately make Evil Dead 4 in all its glory, I will castrate him. No matter how much I love him.
It's not exactly news, but Raimi has already expressed in development.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it does sound hopeful.

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
Furburt said:
Well, I've never liked the Warcraft universe much, but I'm sure if he can handle it, this will be reasonably good for those who do. It could go either way.

However, if Sam Raimi, after making this film, does not immediately make Evil Dead 4 in all its glory, I will castrate him. No matter how much I love him.
Evil Dead 4 DOES need to be made. There is no character in film history as cool as Ash Williams.

To be fair people keep wondering who Bruce Campbell is going to make his inevitable cameo in the WoW movie as, but I would love to just see a quick three or four second background shot of a crapload of Scourge with Ash in the middle of them, laughing manically and chainsawing stuff down. Probably not going to happen... but... I can dream.

Mumonk

Mar 14, 2010
It might be a good movie if they CGI it. (Anyone that plays WoW has seen the AWSOME cinematics they do in those games.) That would be a great movie. But if they do real live actors and do CGI orcs and taurens, it will look pathetic. Take Shrek, very cartoony CGI, but still a great movie, now imagine the same movie but with real people playing all the humans.....yeah....horrid....

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
I assume they mean 'World of Warcraft' movie because that's what the average person associates Warcraft with, and that future movies would be branded as WoW anyway. It wouldn't make any sense to start after the plot of Warcraft 3

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Um, can I ask why it's a "World of Warcraft" movie? Is that just fanservice to WoW players, or is this movie going to fall into the spinoff/'earth two' style of Warcraft's setting?

Warcraft movie I can see being good, World of Warcraft movie would probably still sell tickets, but I doubt it would be any good.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
While I'm not putting too much hope into this, I really like the fact that progress is finally being put into motion. A script is better than nothing! Hopefully -some- sort of a plot will develop. It doesn't have to be earth-shattering, but people need a story to help them relate to characters. Wandering around without a real goal isn't something most people can get behind.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:

2. A solid, well shot, well acted retelling of the World of Warcraft mythology...
    3. A campy, fantasy thrill ride starring an armor ridden Bruce Campbell fending off Orcs with a shotgun...

Piss off one dedicated group of fanboys to please another? I'm all for option 3 as well!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Fans should never make anything...as quoted by ZP...it can only end badly

Feb 3, 2009
AvsJoe said:
HardRockSamurai said:

Piss off one dedicated group of fanboys to please another? I'm all for option 3 as well!
+1 for option 3! :D

Hopefully Campbell will have a minor role (maybe as a merchant or NPC?)