Bungie: Reach Could Have Been Halo 4

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bungie: Reach Could Have Been Halo 4

Halo prequel Reach comes out this fall, but according to Bungie's Brian Jarrard, had things been different, you could have been playing Halo 4 instead.

Halo: Reach, Bungie's final Halo game, is a prequel set before the rest of the series, and shows what led up to the events of the original Halo. But according to Bungie's community director Brian Jarrard, Bungie also discussed the idea of making a true sequel to Halo 3.

"Even before the idea to build a game based around Reach came about, a lot of other concepts were explored," said Jarrard. "Up to and including a proper Halo 4, where Master Chief was going to wake up from cryo-sleep and we were going to tell that story." Jarrard said that the idea was shot down fairly early however, as the team didn't feel really enthusiastic about it: "it just wasn't as interesting to the team to just pick up where that left off and all the baggage that came with it."

According to Jarrard, Reach is designed to be accessible to both fans of the series, and those who have never played a Halo game before, and that this fresh perspective is proving very exciting to the team: "I think it was a little bit liberating. Hearing the guys talk about working through the trilogy and the obligation of keeping the themes moving forward and tying them up systematically. And ODST was also kinda nice 'cause they could do something different, something separate, and it's totally self-contained. I definitely think that, for Reach, a lot of the same attitude carried over."

Jarrard also said that the team was mindful that it wasn't going to be able to revisit the series, so preferred the idea of looking back in the canon, rather than forward: "We don't want to open up a whole bunch of doors that we're not going to close. By the end of this, it's all going to come to a nice, neat finish, and if people want to then go play the Halo trilogy, I think they'll have a better understanding of what's going on, but it's not required at all."

Halo: Reach [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75976] is release on September 14th.

Source: MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/06/25/bungie-considered-halo-4-starring-master-chief-instead-of-reach-prequel/]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I say they should Hire Eric Nylund to write Halo 4 as a Book, I would also really wish to see what happens to Master Cheif and a sequel to Ghost of Onyx.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
I still want to know what happened after Halo 3, damn cliff hanger.

Anyway, I much prefer it was Reach, cos it allowed them to add more cool ideas, and the game is looking GREAT at the current moment, damn good beta it was.

Oh man, can not waitttt.

Scott Mansley

Mar 29, 2010
So I guess we will never know what happened to Master Chief.. Perhaps he is just doomed to float throughout space for eternity.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Dyp100 said:
Not a cliffhanger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CliffHanger], a sequel hook [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SequelHook]. It always annoys me when people think that that story requires a continuation, literally every major plot in the whole series was concluded in Halo 3. Just be honest for a second, Halo CE ended in exactly the same way and no one (to my recollection) ever said that it was a cliffhanger.

Mr Smith

Apr 22, 2010
I'm usually not a fan of remakes (or at least remakes as a concept, because I have enjoyed a few), but I think the Halo series is one that needs it. The reason, primarily, is that the prequels (Halo Wars and the novels) created inconsitencies in the plot and general setting of the series, and Reach looks to continue with this.

Prequels are a bad idea. Sure, it's sometimes interesting to go into a characters backstory or the circumstances leading to an event, and from an artistic point of view it can work. However, when making a prequel for mass-entertainment, the established timeline clashes with the need to keep things interesting. Providing surprises for the audience often leads to plot-holes and inconsistencies, which I feel cheapens the story as a whole. This is the same reason I think the Star Wars franchise should be taken out of Mr Lucas' hands and redone from scratch by someone who can fully realise the potential of the series.

I think it would also be nice if the Bungie team were given the opportunity to explore all those ideas that were dropped from the the first and second games at least. The reason I got liked Halo and Halo 2 was the feeling that it was something epic (that's how it felt to me at least). When I heard that there could have been so much more, but had to be dropped due to time constraints, I felt somewhat robbed (I think Bungie should learn from Valve on this point).

Halo 4 might be a good idea someday, if done propperly. I'm still looking forward to Reach comming out. But I would like at some point to see the Halo series redone with everything it was meant to have included.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Dyp100 said:
Not a cliffhanger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CliffHanger], a sequel hook [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SequelHook]. It always annoys me when people think that that story requires a continuation, literally every major plot in the whole series was concluded in Halo 3. Just be honest for a second, Halo CE ended in exactly the same way and no one (to my recollection) ever said that it was a cliffhanger.
Okay, I'm sorry I got them mixed up, I didn't know they were different. Also, nice links to TVtropes. :p

Also, it doesn't NEED a sequel, it'd be fine if it didn't have one, but I just wanna know what is gonna happen to the MC.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I prefer to have a single character to play as, and it felt better to imagine that you were to only bad-ass in the universe and you had to stop the flood by yourself. In this, you can choose from a multitude of bad-asses and none of them are particularly special.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Well, Master Chief heading into Cyro Sleep was the sorta "riding off into sunset" moment for that series. Besides, we've been adventuring with the Chief for a decade. Let him rest. At least until after a decade and then we can see him return and that story can explain the universe of Marathon or something.

Not like 343 Industries will piss on it or anything.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Though Halo wasn't that good in my opinion I still want to know what happens to MC oh well...
Well, seeing as how the fight actually got finished this time, Master Chief wouldn't have a whole lot of opponents. The Elites are now humankind's BFFs, the covenant has pretty much collapsed, so that leaves.... the Flood. And does anybody here really want to spend an entire game fighting nothing but Flood?

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Dyp100 said:
Thank you for linking to TVTropes you bastard. There goes another 7 hours of my life.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Even if they did do a continuation of Halo 3, no one who actually plays Halo would've noticed.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Reach looks good, but my main problem with it is that we already know what happens. Humans loose, Reach gets glassed. All the fighting's going to be for nothing. However, I will still be buying this game on day one. Like other people, I want to know what happened to M.C. and Cortana.

The fact that the Bungie team said, "We don't want to open up a whole bunch of doors that we're not going to close," makes me roll my eyes. So...what do they call what they did at the end of Halo 3? That's a pretty big door left open. What gives me hope is they added that Reach will wrap everything up. Perhaps the Legendary ending will show Noble Team finding M.C. after the war? Yes please...

Korten12 said:
I say they should Hire Eric Nylund to write Halo 4 as a Book, I would also really wish to see what happens to Master Cheif and a sequel to Ghost of Onyx.
Or this. This is a very good idea. I too would like to know what happened to Kelly and the other Spartans in Onyx. Why do they insist on returning to the beginning for everything after they leave everyone hanging?