2 in 3 Gamers Prefer Discs to Downloads, Says Survey

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
2 in 3 Gamers Prefer Discs to Downloads, Says Survey

New research shows that while a significant number of gamers favor digital distribution, gamers still prefer physical media overall.

64% of gamers prefer to buy their games in a store, rather than download them, according to a survey conducted by research firm Ipsos MediaCT. Ipsos asked over a thousand people about their favored format for games, newspapers, music and movies, and found that of all media, the preference for physical media was strongest for games.

Ipsos says that the reason that the more gamers don't download their games is the inability to resell downloaded games, and the long-standing history of physical game media: "I believe the preference for physical discs amongst next gen gamers reflects the potential value they derive from the pre-owned market, which is holding up the preference for physical - this is unlike the music and film markets," said Ipsos MediaCT director Ian Bramley.

"Physical games discs have a long and well-established history, which is a deep mindset to change - particularly when gamers build a physical collection as they fear losing digital versions. And in-store browsing is also important to buyers."

Games are a bigger investment that music and movies, so trying to maximize their value makes sense. A physical copy can be traded in against the cost of a new game, or bought pre-owned at a lower cost than a new copy, so it makes sense that so many consumers would prefer them.

What's interesting though, is how large a share downloading has. While it's true that the majority of gamers may prefer physical copies of their games, that remaining third represents an enormous number of people. Considering how recent an invention digital distribution is, it's impressive how many people have embraced it.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39857/64-prefer-discs-to-digital]

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I much prefer physical copies of most games. If I'm spending $60 on a title, I want that physical presence, and the perks that come with it, like the box art and manual. However, digital distribution is a great model for smaller developers, and smaller games whose content and gameplay don't justify a full retail distribution. Some of the stuff that's come out of the XBLA and PSN stores are absolutely brilliant. It's a great innovation, the digital distribution platform, and it certainly has its place.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It'd be interesting to see how that split went in terms of PC gamers and console gamers.

Personally I much prefer digital distribution; with Steam it's dirt cheap with sales and I don't have to bother with boxes.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I prefer digital distribution any day. I click "Buy" and in a short time Im playing the game, regardless of time of day or anything. The only time I buy physical games these days is if they are collectors editions with the random stuff you can get with it.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Well yeah, some of us have a bandwidth cap, slow download speeds or just cba to wait, even if we WANT to download digitally :(

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I always want a physical copy of the game. I just don't like downloading because then I suck up all the bandwith and have to wait until very late in the night to download stuff as to not upset my family. Physical copies are just easier for me.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
I myself buy games in the store over buying them on for example Steam for two reasons:
1. I don't have a credit card to buy games on for example Steam, and my dad never lets me use his credit card (obviously).
2. I prefer having a physical copy of a game simply because it's a physical item, I can brag about my big game collection if I've got a shelf full of games. It's awesome.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
i wish we would go back to the old hard cassette things, or at least something like them. It is such a pain to take care of a game disk so that it doesnt get scratched or cracked. this point was driven home to me when my modern warfare 2 disk cracked so severly that my 360 can't read it, just being taken out and put back into it's god damn case. fuck you dvd's!

cyce3

May 18, 2009
Darktau said:
Well yeah, some of us have a bandwidth cap, slow download speeds or just cba to wait, even if we WANT to download digitally :(
Its the same with me, but add to that not actually having a credit card adn having to get my parents to buy it for me and its just easier to head into town.

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
I'm a collector type of person. I like physically owning stuff. I find it hard to feel that I own something unless it's physically there.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
It'd be interesting to see how that split went in terms of PC gamers and console gamers.

Personally I much prefer digital distribution; with Steam it's dirt cheap with sales and I don't have to bother with boxes.
Consoles don't really have much digital distribution, apart from the arcadey type games though, so I'd assume it leans way more towards discs on consoles.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I agree with what Ian said.

I enjoy Physical Copies of the games for reasons like, The "Collector" in me, its safer to own a physical copy of the game, and i like being able to sell back a game i don't want anymore.

Though Digital Distribution is a great service and a good way for smaller Developers to get started, ill take a Physical Copy over a Download any day.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
At least with steam, the game files are directly installed to your computer. So if for some reason Steam kicks the bucket, all of your game files installed on your computer are there. Just wait for some hacker to come by to patch the game up so you can play the game without being logged into steam or something.

I lose my cds/cases/cd keys way to often. I like the digital downloading personally.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Woodsey said:

Consoles don't really have much digital distribution, apart from the arcadey type games though, so I'd assume it leans way more towards discs on consoles.

With shit like Games on Demand they're never going to have it properly unless someone pulls their finger out.

shaboinkin said:
At least with steam, the game files are directly installed to your computer. So if for some reason Steam kicks the bucket, all of your game files installed on your computer are there. Just wait for some hacker to come by to patch the game up so you can play the game without being logged into steam or something.

I lose my cds/cases/cd keys way to often. I like the digital downloading personally.
Valve already have a patch ready should the apocalypse come and they are no more.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I'm split. Steam is VERY convenient, and the sales they have are just crazy. Then again, not being able to play my games whenever the servers shit themselves is annoying, but very rare. I like having physical copies, and I also like instruction manuals (I need something to read while dropping the Browns off at the super-bowl), but I also dislike changing discs.

If made to choose, I'd go with digital. It's just too convenient to pass up.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Surprising news is surprising.
Discs are always nice to have, the ability to boot up a game via Steam is useful but should not be the only option.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
I just get what's cheaper between the two, and if equally expensive go for discs. Of course all the games I have on Steam probably costed me less than 1-2 new Console games, so it's not really a fair comparison, they're two different worlds.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
I prefer Downloads. I've got a whole drawer full of Discs that I never use. Meanwhile I've got plenty of games on Steam, that I can play, with a computer and an online connection. If I don't want them I just delete them off my computer and they stay in my library safe and sound.