2 in 3 Gamers Prefer Discs to Downloads, Says Survey

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
When I buy a game I strongly prefer to buy the actual, physical game. I don't mind some digital downloads like when you buy XBLA or PSN games but on the whole, I would rather my money go towards something tangible

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
It's simple, you can rely on hard copies to be more user tested, require no madatory install, are tradeable and playable on a friends console.

Revenge Revisited

The Doctor Called Me Special! :D
Dec 2, 2009
I like having a shelf of physical games. It just seems more personal that way. Plus I seem to having trouble with downloads rarely working on my computer so I say discs are the way to go.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I had a feeling it was a big ratio but they should have asked which consoles they prefered what. For PC I prefer digital distribution, for 360 I like both same with the Wii but for the PS3 I prefer the discs. I see digital distribution getting big when it's cheaper then buying instore by 20%. I just hope they don't drop discs, especially music CDs. I like having the CD and rip it to MP3s to put on my iPhone and listen to the CDs when I'm at home.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
I much prefer my boxes and manuals and big fold out maps. Sure, I can print them from the internet, but it's not the same.

I like being able to hold the box and say "This is my game". Then use it to hit anyone who says "It's only a licence to play". That's why I dislike digital.
I won't buy any full price game on Steam- I'll buy a few things on sale, but I just don't like spending more than pocket change on a game that the publishers can take away and say "It was never yours". With a disk, I can at least say "Fuck off, this is my disk with my copy on, get out of my house".

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
I don't like the idea of having to re-purchase every game I download if my hard drive dies, and I don't trust the manufacturers to keep supporting the game indefinately.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I get everything on steam since I don't like going to shady sites for cd cracks. I much prefer playing my games without the disc, and since I never sell my games anyway that part of their hypothesis is crap.

If only I could put the games I own irl onto steam...

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
They sure as fuck didn't survey me.

Fuck discs.

Ashendarei said:
I don't like the idea of having to re-purchase every game I download if my hard drive dies.
... ah, so its ignorance fueled by retailers thats the driving force behind the slow adoption of digital distribution. (your hypothetical would never happen)

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yep, I'm one of those guys who likes to own physical copies of games. Incase my PSN account geets suspended, I can still keep my games, whereas with digital copies, the companies have some crappy loophole that says they can delete my copies and refuse me a refund. They can't take physical copies of games from me. :D

I refuse to be part of that nonsense.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I mostly prefer physical copies because it feels "safer". Don't so much care about resale as being able to lend my disc to a family member without having to also provide them with a private password.

I like Steam, though. Been going nuts on Steam's sales these last few weeks...

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Disc games do have the advantage of a pre-owned market of cheaper titles, but with downloads you can aquire a game from the comfort of your home. So I think instead of replacing discs with downloads, there should be an equal market for each.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
I like it IN MY HANDS. I want the art, the original casing and everything.

DD is a last case scenerio for me.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I may own some digital downloads, but I KNOW my disk is going to work and that I won't have it just taken off of my if some little shit reports my account for something I didn't do.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
The first thing I do with any game I have on disc is to rip an image file of it and story it on my hard drive. I don't want to be bothering with discs all the time.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
EcksTeaSea said:
I always want a physical copy of the game. I just don't like downloading because then I suck up all the bandwith and have to wait until very late in the night to download stuff as to not upset my family. Physical copies are just easier for me.

Amen to that. I'd take phyical copies to Steam, I-tunes, or online pirating anyday of the week.

After all, why go through the trouble and expanse of downloading Madonna tracks online when you can barrow a CD at a local library for free and copy the tracks you want on your MP3?

and with games, it's much simpler to be able to just get a game and play it instead of waiting all day for it to install, all the more reason why I'm a console gamer.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Ashendarei said:
I don't like the idea of having to re-purchase every game I download if my hard drive dies, and I don't trust the manufacturers to keep supporting the game indefinately.
You know that's complete and utter crap right? You can download steam games any number if times, and they have games on there from over a decade ago that don't magically disappear. This isn't itunes.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Being from the UK and seeing as Steam has no idea how much GBPs are worth, it can sometimes be more expensive to buy a download on Steam than it can be to go out and buy the physical copy of the game.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
The 53 games listed in my Steam account cost me less than 5 of the physical titles I own.

Several of the Valve games listed in Steam are games I purchased physical copies of, but have lost over time (moving, cleaning, storage).

Steam regularly has 50% off sales on titles which are still full-retail in a store.

For all these reasons, I welcome our DRM overlords. So far, Valve has been benevolent, and I don't see them changing any time soon.

ItsAPaul said:
Ashendarei said:
You know that's complete and utter crap right? You can download steam games any number if times, and they have games on there from over a decade ago that don't magically disappear. This isn't itunes.
QFT. This is why I avoid using iTunes: You're completely at the mercy of Apple if your HDD dies and you don't have purchased material backed up (or if, say, you suffer a loss of your backup simultaneously). They'll "kindly" "allow" you to re-download the music you've purchased. Once. Maybe. If they're not having a bad day. Oh, and if they haven't removed the item from their catalogue.