Researchers Challenge "Attention Span" Study

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Researchers Challenge "Attention Span" Study

Researchers from Texas A&M and Harvard Medical School have challenged the findings of a study published earlier this week that "strongly" linked gaming with poor attention spans in kids.

Science is kind of like prison sometimes, except that when someone eyeballs you wrong, you don't stick a sharpened spoon between their ribs, you submit a rebuttal to a respected publication under a title like, "Poor Measurement, Poor Controls and Spurious Results in Swing et al. (2010)." Those are fightin' words in the exercise yard of academics and Christopher Ferguson of Harvard Medical School [http://www.tamu.edu/] have come out swinging.

In response to a study that came to light earlier this week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101938-Study-Strongly-Links-Gaming-With-Kids-Poor-Attention-Spans] linking gaming with shortened attention spans, Ferguson and Ceranoglu highlighted four specific shortcomings in the work. First on the list is the fact that the authors "overlook a number of recent studies that contradict their views on the relationship between videogames and aggression," as well as research that suggests gaming can actually increase, not decrease, attention and cognition. Furthermore, the study used an "ad-hoc three-item scale with no known validity" to measure attention problems and didn't include reports from parents, relying solely on input from teachers. It also failed to control for other "commonly measured relevant variables" that could affect attention spans, like home environment, poverty and parental education.

Finally, Ferguson and Ceranoglu noted, "All standardized regression coefficients for children in the study are less than .10. This indicates that the overlap in variance between media use and attention is less than 1%. Even taking these findings a face value (setting aside concerns about measures and control variables), these are weak effect sizes without practical significance, effectively no different from zero."

"The authors appear to rationalize these trivial effects by suggesting that some important medical effects are similarly small in size. This assertion has been proven false (Block & Crain, 2007; Ferguson, 2009b).and was based on confused attempts to convert the common medical odds ratio and relative risk measures into the Pearson 'r' coefficient familiar to psychologists," they concluded. "In sum, these findings are unable to support the weight that Swing et al. (2010) attempt to place on them, and give no cause for concern to clinicians, educators or parents."

Ferguson and Ceranoglu's response can be read in full at pediatrics.aappublications.org [http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/eletters/peds.2009-1508v1]. See you in the cafeteria line, Swing et al.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/07/09/pay-attention-researchers-debunk-game-link-concentration-study]

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Videgames kill people, videogames teach kids, videogames give you ADD, videogames cure ADD

Make up your mind, researchers.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Today's lesson: Shit like this will never, ever be figured out, so people should stop wasting their damned money and find something better to do.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Go get 'em Christopher Ferguson of Texas A&M and T. Atilla Ceranoglu of Harvard Medical School. Adminster some cold, hard JUSTICE.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Most kids have short attention spans because they're kids. They haven't been living as long so an hour seems longer to them. Do these people really forgotten that much of being a kid?
They don't need to be weaned off video games (probably the one thing most of them can focus on for over an hour) and they definitely don't need ritalin. Most of them just need to be left alone most the time.
Sure they need structure but I think older people need perspective too.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I guess this rebuttal will have to do, but I find the idea of scientists shanking each other over their findings to be absolutely hilarious.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
After watching the movie "Dark Matter" I honestly don't trust these academia verbal put-downs as much as others might. However:

"It also failed to control for other "commonly measured relevant variables" that could affect attention spans, like home environment, poverty and parental education."

...is a pretty big thing to neglect indeed. As Mordin from Mass Effect 2 said: "Please Shepard! Accounted for contextual effects. Not an undergraduate student!" ;)

Om Nom Nom

Feb 13, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Most kids have short attention spans because they're kids. They haven't been living as long so an hour seems longer to them. Do these people really forgotten that much of being a kid?
/study

But seriously. Have they ever seen a kid gaming? Their focus is legendary. You could probably swap the entire education system with educational games and get a generation of geniuses (IMHO).

It isn't difficult at all to teach scientific principle, mathematics, reading/writing, and just about anything else through a game of some sort. (Heck, ordinary games hone the mind as they are, if only in the sense of quick decision-making while under stress; a very useful trait in more than a few professions.)

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Science is not built upon a consensus, it never was. One study does not equal fact, which annoys me when the anti crowd hold these up like the Holy Grail (of BS).

Apr 28, 2008
Om Nom Nom said:
GonzoGamer said:
/study

But seriously. Have they ever seen a kid gaming? Their focus is legendary. You could probably swap the entire education system with educational games and get a generation of geniuses (IMHO).

It isn't difficult at all to teach scientific principle, mathematics, reading/writing, and just about anything else through a game of some sort.
Yeah, I'm with these guys.

School, homework, and studying are boring as shit, so of course its hard to get kids to pay attention, your trying to get them to pay attention to boring stuff.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
I love science fights. They're so entertaining. Why can't there be a gossip magazine about science disputes?

Though I do kind of agree with the arguement. I am of the mind that it actually increases attention span, especially when learning from video or on computers, something interactive.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Yeah, I bet the researchers who produced the study were too busy playing Halo to bother with anything as trivial as "accuracy".

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
...and they didn't finish the study because they kept getting distracted by COD. The end.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
This is great for those of us reading it, but honestly other then gaming websites and the occasional decent news outlet (such as abc.com.au) the doubts about the "study" and very real criticism will not see the light of day, oh no, there aren't ratings or page hits in actuate balanced reporting, no, at most news outlets will stop running stories about the "study", there will be no retraction, no informed debate, just more beat ups.

I despair of the world sometimes.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008

Because that's how science rolls.

(but who want to bet that from now on the fascist censors will ignore all rebuttals and only focus on this one discredited article to justify their game-grabbing paranoia for further bans?)