Pokemon Black & White Adds Most Pointless Video Chat Ever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pokemon Black & White Adds Most Pointless Video Chat Ever

While the upcoming Pokemon Black & White will have some nifty new features, one in particular isn't so much "exciting" as it is "stunningly pointless."

It's no secret that I'm pumped for the upcoming fifth generation of Pokemon games. Stupid-looking Water-type starter aside, the Black & White games seem to be adding features that fans of the series have wanted for some time, like in-battle animations; larger, three-dimensional towns; life bars that don't take half an hour to drain when a Pokemon suffers heavy damage [http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/pokemon-black-white-teaser/346932?playlist=featured] - that sort of thing.

If you'll be playing Pokemon Black & White on a DSi or the upcoming 3DS, however, you'll get something else: live in-game video chat over the DS' Wi-Fi connection, which is enabled once you find the "Live Caster" item in the game. This is, of course, a natural evolution of the in-game voice chat introduced in in the series' fourth generation with Diamond & Pearl, and utilizes the forward-facing camera on the DSi and 3DS. Makes perfect sense, right?

But wait, it doesn't end there! While the Wi-Fi video chat is only limited to two people at a time, Pokemon Black & White will support four-way video chat over the DS' local wireless network. Which, uh, requires you to be in fairly close proximity to the people you're chatting with. So this is effectively a video chat that can only be used when all four people are in the same room together.

Just think about that for a while.

Not all the features are this vestigial, thankfully - the game will also have something called "Pass By" mode. While the exact details of the mode have yet to be revealed, it seems that it will allow dormant DSes to connect with each other automatically. So, if you have your DSi in your backpack and walk past someone else with the game, the two of you will connect without any input and ... I don't know, you'll get something - exactly what you'll get remains to be seen. It sounds like the Pokewalker from HeartGold & SoulSilver, but part of the fun of the Pokewalker was the human interaction [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/7354-A-View-From-The-Road-Poke-walking-Through-PAX].

Stunningly useless four-person video chat aside, Pokemon Black & White look to be shaping up to be perfect examples of how the series keeps adding new features - or should I say "evolving" - while retaining the same Pokemon core that we all know and love.

I'm still going with Firepig as my starter, though. Who's with me?

(GoNintendo [http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=129985])

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
pointless? i think not. that pedophile at the local mcdonalds will finally have a way to pick up that poor, unsuspecting underage gamer. plenty of purpose in that.

i kid, i kid. that is pointless unless it's between a couple of lazy family members, why it would only go over the local wifi i do not know

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I didn't need to think about it for a while, I facepalmed as soon as I read the words "local wireless network".

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow....that Vid Chat mode is almost as useless as a DvD Rewinder.

Im going with the Grass...thing as my starter.
It looks cool to me, and i cant wait to see its evolution.

Though i have a feeling that the Water Starter might be like Magikarp in its Evolutions.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I have a feeling the water-starter will be quite awesome when fully evolved. Or I might go with the grass-starter. I'm sorry, Funk, but Firepig is a little too happy and joyful for me.

More on topic: That four-way chat is such a silly idea. But the 'Pass By' feature could be interesting.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Definitely going with Pig-lit as my starter. I hope to Mew that they make his fully evolved form's name Pignition.

But yeah... Silly face-chat thing.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
John Funk said:
Pokemon Fire starters:

Charmander = Fire dragon = Awesome
Cyndaquil= Fire mouse = Still pretty awesome
Tourchic = Fire chick = Well it's final evolution is pretty cool
Chimchar = Fire monkey = Look out for flaming monkey s**t
Pokabu (US name I'm not sure of) = Fire pig = Does anyone else smell bacon.
:p

I think I'll go with the grass one even though the pig seems the only one happy to be ther. I just feel really sorry for the water thing.

With video chat that works only in the same room I guess you get to se their faces at two different angles if you beat them or if they beat you.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I don't know. If you think about some settings, like a lifeless Japanese corporation that locks you into a cubicle, a local wireless video chat may be just the thing they need. Of course that means they'd be playing Pokemon while at work, but then Pokemon is serious business.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Banana Phone Man said:
John Funk said:
Pokemon Fire starters:

I think I'll go with the grass one even though the pig seems the only one happy to be ther. I just feel really sorry for the water thing.

With video chat that works only in the same room I guess you get to se their faces at two different angles if you beat them or if they beat you.
Infernape and Blaziken were waaaaaay cooler than Typhlosion. Fire/Fighting is also a much better type than Fire/Flying. :p

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
That certainly is pointless. I wish they'd focus on the actual battling mechanics, rather than useless things like this.

And I probably won't pick the fire pig. The grass one will probably be mine, at least until I found the chinchilla. Then I'll use it as my starter.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, fire starters all the way. It's often tricky, though, because they'll usually hit you with like a rock-type gym leader first up.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
That is kinda pointless, the only thing I can think of is two people separated by a wall being able to see eachother? Maybe?

Other than that obscure scenario that's pretty true.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
dont get me wrong as i was a big pokemon fan...but dont you think 3D towns and animations should have been included like 5 years ago?

also the amount of stupid pokemon out now baffles me...you say the water one looks stupid, i was thinking the fire one....with the inventive name of firepig (jeez...) looks just as stupid...

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
John Funk said:
Banana Phone Man said:
John Funk said:
Pokemon Fire starters:

Infernape and Blaziken were waaaaaay cooler than Typhlosion. Fire/Fighting is also a much better type than Fire/Flying. :p
Practicly yes they are better but personally I loved my Typhlosion. I trained it to lvl 100 before the second last gym. I could never love Infernape. I think it's just me, I always had the image of it throwing flaming poo. Blazekin is pretty awesome though.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Sorry Funk, but I'm going with green lizard thing.
The game is shaping up to be great it seems.
I wonder how many people leave their DS on while in their backpack?

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
While I usually choose the water starter, I think I may have to go with "Pignition" as Mookie_Magnus called it.

Though I may check out the final forms of them all first. If the water one suddenly becomes less repulsive I may just take it.