Painter Works On Star Wars Masterpiece For Seven Months

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Painter Works On Star Wars Masterpiece For Seven Months

This is guaranteed to be the coolest piece of Star Wars fan art you've ever seen.

Artist Robert Burden paints masterpieces similar to what you might find in an art museum. They just happen to feature characters from series such as Voltron, G.I. Joe, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles instead of expressionless females or dogs playing poker.

His most recent work is that of Luke Skywalker riding a Tauntaun from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Harrison-Ford/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279472415&sr=8-1]. Called "The Birth of a Jedi," the painting is 10 feet tall, 7 feet wide, and more detailed than you might expect.

Burden has even provided a time lapse video so that we can see the seven month-long process of creating such a beast. It's the little things that get me about the painting, like the AT-STs in the corners and the small circular portraits of Yoda, Boba Fett, and other Star Wars characters lining the sides. All of Burden's works can be bought in poster form at YouTube channel [http://www.robertburden.net/paintings.php]. This man is talented, but thankfully he's using his powers for the good of mankind.

Via: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5589992/artist-births-jedi-in-seven-months-flat]

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That was surprisingly beautiful... the tiny little details really helped it stand out. Someone give this man an award.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Really impressive, but my fuck me does anyone else think it's ugly as sin?

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
The end result appears to be a tarot card.

One that predicts:
"You will journey to a faraway place to gain education.

...if you survive your impending yeti attack."

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Wow, that's really amazing. It makes me wish I was good at painting. I've always found oil paintings to have an appeal of their own, that's why I like them so much.

Estoki

May 25, 2010
That is really beautiful, makes me wan't to go watch the movies again for some reason.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
Yeah it really is an impressive piece of art, but dear god I would never hang it on my wall.
Nice to see the time-lapse though, seeing how he builds up the layers of paint.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
While it's impressive, and it takes a lot of talent, personally... I absolutely hate it. It looks like a Turkish rug! It's got nothing to do with Star Wars. It simply borrowed a few images. It's completely changed the 'feel' (for lack of a better description).

He might as well paint a picture of Jabba, in a bright, pastel-coloured field, surrounded by 'My Little Ponies', feeding the homeless and calling for world peace! Sure, it's got a picture of Jabba in... but it sure ain't Star Wars!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Very, very impressive - and "the struggle to maintain one's idealism" is something i can fully sympathize with.

Now, only one question arises: will anyone ever do something similar, but with Lombaxes? Maybe that'll even be myself...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
I wouldn't go that far, but I too don't think it's aesthetically pleasing. At all, really. An impressive feat, but I wouldn't call it beautiful at all. Gods, honestly, that Tauntaun is downright revolting. For starters, why is it brown? What's up with it's legs? No thanks.

I find the 30th Anniversary painting to be a LOT prettier, I have a poster of it on my door:

It too has that use of nice details, like that tiny scene of the Battle of Hoth and Luke floating in the bacta tank. It actually looks pretty real and true to the movies despite maintaining it's own style. Unlike that....monstrous....thíng....

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Cowabungaa said:
Gods, honestly, that Tauntaun is downright revolting. For starters, why is it brown? What's up with it's legs?
Yeah, but you missed the obvious. What TF is up with the guy falling out of that things belly?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
Cowabungaa said:
Gods, honestly, that Tauntaun is downright revolting. For starters, why is it brown? What's up with it's legs?
Yeah, but you missed the obvious. What TF is up with the guy falling out of that things belly?
I suppose that that's Luke, only who's riding the fake-tauntaun then? It's not only ugly, it's confusing as well.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Woodsey said:
I wouldn't go that far, but I too don't think it's aesthetically pleasing. At all, really. An impressive feat, but I wouldn't call it beautiful at all. Gods, honestly, that Tauntaun is downright revolting. For starters, why is it brown? What's up with it's legs? No thanks.

I find the 30th Anniversary painting to be a LOT prettier, I have a poster of it on my door:

It too has that use of nice details, like that tiny scene of the Battle of Hoth and Luke floating in the bacta tank. It actually looks pretty real and true to the movies despite maintaining it's own style. Unlike that....monstrous....thíng....
Who made that?

Its godly...

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Tiamat666 said:
Cowabungaa said:
I suppose that that's Luke, only who's riding the fake-tauntaun then? It's not only ugly, it's confusing as well.
I have to agree with you fellows. It really is interesting to watch it take it form over the seventh month period, but damn...it just doesn't look good. The ability to draw and create is obviously there, at this guy's disposal, but at the prices I saw when I looked at his store, for something that doesn't appeal to me or many others apparently, is just not enough.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Tiamat666 said:
Cowabungaa said:
"Birth of a Jedi"

So, Luke coming out of the tauntaun is like he's being born. Solo would be riding it.

I'm impressed, but agree I wouldn't buy it.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Cowabungaa said:
Woodsey said:

Who made that?

Its godly...
let us sacrifice an Ewok to it!

OT: impressive artwork, but it looks a bit like stolen from an Indian temple.
And the positions are a bit strange. The way I see it the rider has no legs.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
CK76 said:
"Birth of a Jedi"

So, Luke coming out of the tauntaun is like he's being born. Solo would be riding it.

I'm impressed, but agree I wouldn't buy it.
Amazed how far I had to scroll before I found someone who pointed this out.