Guerrilla Rebuilds Controls for Killzone 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Guerrilla Rebuilds Controls for Killzone 3

Guerrilla Games says that player feedback has prompted a rethink of the controls for Killzone 3.

Of all the things that can spoil the experience of an FPS, cumbersome and slow controls sit pretty near the top of the list, and it's this simple idea that has prompted Guerrilla Games to rebuild the controls for Killzone 3 from the ground up.

In a post on the official Killzone site [http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psml?kz_news_article=Killzone+2+vs.+Killzone+3+-+Controls], Game Director Mathijs de Jonge said the single biggest complaint that people had had about Killzone 2 was a lack of accuracy and responsiveness in the controls. In order to resolve these issues, Guerrilla had examined every element of the control scheme, from input lag to acceleration, in exhaustive detail. The new controls were still in a very early stage of development, he added, but that he was eager for people to try them out.

He also said that Guerrilla was keen to keep the "unique sense of weight" that Killzone 2 had as it was something that players had responded positively to, and added that much of the "weight" was due to the game's animations so that the more responsive controls didn't mean that it had to be sacrificed.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-killzone-3-inputlag-blog-entry]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That's good, hopefully the newly tweaked controls will keep the "weight" to it. Personally, after a bit of getting used to, the controls were fine for me. Just tweak up the X+Y sensitivity by 2 or 3 points and it's fine.

Very excited for Killzone 3 either way, I'll be sure to mooch off my friend's 3D TV to see how it's 3D handles. If this is any indication [http://kotaku.com/5572653/jimmy-fallons-killzone-3-enthusiasm-increases-in-3d] it should be pretty interesting...

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
The reason that Killzone 2 lacked the accuracy/responsiveness of other shooters on consoles is that they dropped the slight autoaim you need for dualstick shooting. Good in theory but i think thats just somethig we should accept as necessary because fighting with the sticks isn't that much fun.
On the other hand, if you shoot good in killzone 2, your actually skilled. not skilled for a consoleshooter etc (i don't support such accusations^^). if killzone keeps the great enemy design im sold.

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
I thought the controls where pretty good in Killzone 2, and I love how meaty everything felt. Lets hope that it changes for the better, while keeping that feel.

DangNabbit

May 23, 2010
I actually really liked KZ2's controls, but if they're looking to polish things then I can't complain.

Now if they would change their minds about co-op then I'd be REALLY excited for this game.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
I was gonna buy KZ3 anyways. But if they make the move controls the right way, it can be very very fun. I have hope for the move.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
The only problem that I had with the KZ 2 controls was the fact that the Iron Sight was useless with them.
And that sniping was a pain with the Six-Axis.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hmmmmmmm Killzone 3 looks promising now I really didnt like the slow response in Killzone 2 with the controls.

DangNabbit

May 23, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Have they fixed it so you're not 4'5"? Walk up to someone in that game and you're looking at their chest :)
Whenever I walk around I seem to always stare at people's chests, does that mean I'm 4'5" too? :D

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Hmmm... Once them control changes don't change the weighty feel then I might not be too bothered... But to be honest, I never felt there was anything wrong that needed changing...

Except:
thenumberthirteen said:
Have they fixed it so you're not 4'5"? Walk up to someone in that game and you're looking at their chest :)

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I love KIllzone 2. Still play it online frequently, but the controls could've been a lot better. I'm glad they're changing them, and I'm very glad they're not doing away with the weight of them.

Apr 28, 2008
I thought the controls were fine.

thenumberthirteen said:
Yeah, that was really, really annoying.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Every FPS has this problem, even the hyper realistic (for its time) F.E.A.R had the problem in that when you did a melee attack kick your foot was the size of your opponents eyeball if you activated it too close to them, this is a depth perception problem with games in general not a problem with KillZone.

Suskie said:
Good to hear. The aiming in Killzone 2 sucked balls.
No it did not, the aiming was not "free floating" and "aim assisted", you actually have to aim in KillZone 2. the big problem KillZone had was that in a single game while you were trying to learn is that you weren't just up against 4 other guys, you were up against 31 other people that are better than you.

Thats what people don't like about it, too tough.

Marik2 said:
Hmmmmmmm Killzone 3 looks promising now I really didnt like the slow response in Killzone 2 with the controls.
The slow response time was sorted out with 3 patches, its not perfect but its alot better.

RanD00M said:
The only problem that I had with the KZ 2 controls was the fact that the Iron Sight was useless with them.
And that sniping was a pain with the Six-Axis.
Depends which gun you use, the default ISA gun iron sights you need to do short bursts of firing, its Helghast equivalent is done full auto and hope for the best.

Ohh I fucking love sniping on KZ, I use the sixaxis to aim my shots, but I can understand why someone else would hate it, its incredibly hard to snipe on KZ and the Scout Class (sniper class) is actually the weakest class in the game.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I'm glad to hear they are going to keep that sense of "weight" the characters had. That really helps immerse me in the experience. I don't really recall the actual controls, but I remember not being entirely thrilled with them when I first sat down with the game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
There might be an in-universe explanation for the 4'5 height perspective. Backstory states that the Helghast are bigger, and more heavily built than humans due to their exposure to Helghan.