Play Games for 50 Hours, Earn a World Record

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Play Games for 50 Hours, Earn a World Record

A group of Dutch gamers have set a new world record for playing videogames by playing Red Dead Redemption for over two days straight.

Playing a videogame may seem like a strange way to go about attaining a world record, but it's a new claim to fame for six Dutch gamers. By playing Red Dead Redemption for 50 hours straight this past weekend, these gamers have earned recognition from the Guinness Book of World Records, as well as somewhat fabulous prizes.

Apparently the marathon event began as a competition at a Dixons store in the Netherlands, where the six gamers started out competing with one another. At some point, though, the group decided to make a collective go at the record. All six young men are going to receive the Guinness recognition, $1300 in prize money, and a Twistdock setup.

Previously, the world record for playing a videogame was a little over 40 hours, held by a gamer from India. The Dutch players, however, apparently played for 50 hours with no breaks (presumably, they were allowed to go to the bathroom and eat while they played), which is pretty remarkable. Not only that, but it looks like the guys enjoyed themselves the entire time. I can't go for more than about 30 hours of sleep before I feel an overwhelming need to crash, even with the aid of energy drinks.

Source: Joystiq

HungryHungryHobo

My drill will pierce the heavens
Nov 5, 2009
I'd like to see the specifications of what is and what is not elligible for this record because if I'm not mistaken the Loading Ready Run Group plays quite a bit more than this when they do Desert Bus for Hope every year, albeit not a good game, but a game and they have played more than 40 hours in a row.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
I'm assuming this record is for consecutve play by an individual, not as a team, trading off, given that Desert Bus goes for 5+ days straight.

-m

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
50 hours? Call me crazy, but I think that's actually a lot lower than what I thought the record would be.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
HungryHungryHobo said:
I'd like to see the specifications of what is and what is not elligible for this record because if I'm not mistaken the Loading Ready Run Group plays quite a bit more than this when they do Desert Bus for Hope every year, albeit not a good game, but a game and they have played more than 40 hours in a row.
I agree on that...they should easilly take the prize!

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I've done gaming binges about that long before, I should have been going for the record, an extra thousand bucks plus a world record would be kinda cool to have right now.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
just 50 hours I've stayed up longer watching the Food channel...

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
The real record is for "Longest Consecutive Video Game Playing After Inviting Guinness Record People to Watch"

The actual record is held by the entire nation of South Korea.

Mukil

Mar 23, 2010
Get ready for me to break the "Longest Consecutive Video Game Playing After Setting Up Tripod Camera With Nightvision"

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Yeah it should be very do-able, but usually people who play that long don't think about taking a shot at a world record so they don't get someone to witness the event.

Still: Yay my country holds a gaming world record :D

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Furburt said:
Yeah, I'm definitely sure I've gone longer than that. Hearts Of Iron II, summer of '07. I had an unbroken spell of 57 hours.

Fuck, I should have recorded it. I was in quite a state at the end though. I just wanted to sleep forever.
I've just come off Hoi2 after 5 hours, trying to defeat Russia as Italy is not easy. I shall continue after snacks and light beverages!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
LordCuthberton said:
Ranooth said:
I smell a record attempt by The Escapist
I take you up on that challenge.

OT: Congrats to them. I think we should all donate $100 to make James from LRR beat the record for DB4.
I challenge thee to a 60 hour round of Pong!!

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
Sacman said:
just 50 hours I've stayed up longer watching the Food channel...
Were you chained to the seat with your eyes clamped open? I could do that with Iron Chef or something similiar, but if it was DD&D or Semi-homemade, I'd wrist split long before I'd hit 50 hours.

If I tried gaming for that long now, my kids would beat me over the head. They have no sense of goals like this.

HarmanSmith

Aug 12, 2009
Bring it! I just bought Resonance of Fate. All I need is to set up a catheter system and get about 5 gallons of soda and 10 boxes of cheez-its, ho-hos, and oreos.

Now I have to figure out how to deal with the eye melting that will set in after 30 hours. Wow, those guys must have been bleeding out of their eyes after that.