Chris Redfield Research: We're Gonna Need a Montage

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Chris Redfield Research: We're Gonna Need a Montage

Wentworth Miller did a lot of research on Chris Redfield for his role in Resident Evil: Afterlife, including watching a montage.

Something that many fans have complained about with the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Trilogy-Milla-Jovovich/dp/B001GUYB08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280785221&sr=8-2>Resident Evil films is the noticeable absence of Chris Redfield. This is changing with Resident Evil: Afterlife, where Redfield will finally be portrayed by Wentworth Miller. For Miller, this was a big role, and he recently admitted that he spent quite some time researching the role so his Chris Redfield wouldn't be something people would be disappointed with.

When an actor portraying a favorite character admits he isn't familiar with the source material, it tends to make fans nervous. Since Miller is pretty open about not being a gamer, he realized he needed a crash course in Resident Evil and Chris Redfield's character.

The result was a two-word solution straight out of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102230-New-Zealand-Commercial-Mimics-Kevin-Butler-Ad>Kevin Butler's playbook. Mon. Tage.

"I had to do my homework," Miller explained in an interview with Movies Online. "I was aware of the series and I remember specifically the trailer for the third movie with that shot over Vegas, and it's buried in the sand, it was very iconic and arresting. I asked the producers to put together a montage of significant sequences from the videogame that explained or spoke to my character's history or mythology. That was part of my research."

Another big part of Miller's research was finding out what the character meant to the fans. "In preparing for the role, I felt the need to respect what was already out there, in terms of the videogame mythology, and I did my research online, going to fan sites and blogs to find out what the conversation was about this character, what the expectations might be. But then I had to balance that with who I am as an actor, and what I inherently bring to the table, and who is the Chris Redfield that Paul W.S. Anderson establishes in this movie. He's very specific to the feature film interpretation of Resident Evil, rather than the videogame. It was a question of balancing all three influences, and I'd like to think that I did my best."

I've generally been a fan of Wentworth Miller for a while, even though I lost interest in Prison Break after the first season. That he apparently spent this much time preparing for the role makes me a little less hesitant about Resident Evil: Afterlife. While the first and third Resident Evil flicks weren't masterpieces of cinema, I didn't hate them like I did Apocalypse. Hopefully Miller and his cast-mates will be able to keep Afterlife in the "Pure Popcorn Fun" realm.

In the meantime, I'd kind of like to see the Chris Redfield montage. That just sounds like ten different kinds of cool.

Source: <a href=http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_18245.html>Movies Online

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Loved the reference.

Haven't seen any of the Resident Evil movies... Nor have I played any of the games.

I don't think I have anything to do in this thread.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
As long as Chris isn't a GI Joe clone, unlike the incredibly wooden male characters so far in the RE movies, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, what I know about Redfield as a character (forgive me, I haven't played RE5 yet and the earlier versions of him are only vague memories by now) is basically that he is a GI Joe clone. He's the basic soldier with large muscles and a very ordinary hairstyle. Pedestrian character design at its least developed.

Despite how terrible the character has proven to be so far, I'm still pretty concerned that the "interpretation" made by the director will only screw the character up more.

Frankly, I don't think that the movies should've deviated from the game story. They could have followed that with no problems, and it would've been better than this whole "post-apocalyptic zombie world" thing that they've got going (and that we've seen elsewhere a million times before; in fact, it's even less unique than the actual game plot line).

If the directors had followed the game plot properly, we'd be up to watching Leon kill Ganadoes while searching for Ashley by now, and that game was always an action film just waiting to happen.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I will give it to him at least, at least he tried...but,still didnt come off very chris.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Silva said:
If the directors had followed the game plot properly, we'd be up to watching Leon kill Ganadoes while searching for Ashley by now, and that game was always an action movie waiting to happen.
I would give a very pretty penny to see RE4 made into a movie. As it is, the RE movies lost my interest way back.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I like the films, but I agree that there should have been more emphasis on making them a lot like the games, instead of their own thing.

Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentine was meh. She had the appearance, no doubt about that, but she seemed to be a bit stupid to be Jill. Just how they portrayed the character in the film.

Wentworth Miller should do better.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Wait a minute, he doesn't have biceps twice the size of his head. I am outraged by this inaccurate portrayal of such a beloved character.

But in all seriousness. It doesn't matter how he portrays the character, RE isn't known for it's complex and deep characters. Even if the movies pull off a mildly more interesting plot than the games do, the only people people that will complain are the fanboys. But they complain regardless.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
How about he plays REmake and Resident Evil 5!? >_< A montage? C'mon...

At least he researched what the fans thought, though... Still.

I love the RE movies, by the way. I can't wait for the next one. ^_^