Bungie Feels Uneasy About Competing With Halo

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bungie Feels Uneasy About Competing With Halo

It's going to feel strange for Bungie to someday go head-to-head with the franchise the studio has worked on for the past decade.

After Bungie releases every intention [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280798654&sr=8-1] of keeping Halo going without Bungie, which would in essence put the developer in the position of competing with itself once it leaves Microsoft's umbrella. To Bungie, this feels "weird."

Bungie community manager Brian Jarrard told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=258085] that when the company will be going up against Halo at an undetermined point in the future he thinks it'll "feel maybe a little strange." However, he doesn't mean that Bungie is worried that Halo will eclipse its next project.

"We're really confident about the ideas we're already working on for our next project and we're going to be doing things that will hopefully help shape the next ten years of gaming," he said. Still, he admits: "I do think it'll be strange... not too unlike the first time we all sat down and played Halo Legends [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Wars-Platinum-Hits-Xbox-360/dp/B0034JKYO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280800741&sr=8-1] - that's a piece of Halo media that we had no involvement in."

Though it'll feel weird, Jarrard says that on some level it'll be okay to let go of Halo, because he believes: "At a minimum it'll be cool knowing that we started all that - it was our team that made this possible." I don't know, I think I'd be somewhat annoyed if something I created went on to earn someone else's company millions of dollars, especially when that company didn't even approve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101091-Microsoft-Wasnt-Fond-of-the-Halo-Brand] of the Halo name at first.

Then again, Bungie probably won't need any help becoming both creatively and financially successful at Activision. Still, it's sort of like having a child, and then being forced to let someone else guide that child's life while you have a new child with someone else, knowing that the two children will fight to the death someday down the road. Isn't it?

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=258085]

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
I have no love for the Halo series, but once Bungie stops making them I suspect a lot of die hard fans will go and follow Bungie to it's new titles, where as those who are casual fans of the series will realise that after Halo: Reach the new developers have a different vision for the game (which is incredibly likely) and it doesn't go in a direction the fans want.

That's my hypothesis.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
I actually think I'd be quite a bit attached to the franchise they are about to let go of.

I mean, it IS a great story (if you actually do check the storyline [and I mean books]), and the whole thing just has such a big fanbase around it.

But well, I'm sure Bungie can grow under Activision wing! I guess this is going to be interesting.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
I'm looking forward to seeing what Bungie makes.

They are in fact, a very good game company.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
How much of a problem it turns out to be I think depends on whether the fans follow the Bunige name, or Halo.

Personally I follow the company, not the name. So the next Halo might as well be a brand new game as far as I am concerned.

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
Bungie has enough talent to make another great game. I just can't wait for what it's going to be.

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
I can sympathize with Brian Jarrard. I've been in situations where I've had to compete with something that was more or less brought to where it is by my hand.

For a simple example, think of when you teach someone how to play a game they've never touched before, only to find them kicking your ass the next week.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
TheGoldenMan said:
Remember activision is most likely the most hated publisher in the business. I dunno if it will change for better or for worse, just look at Modern Warfare 2.
I think that's the worst-case scenario- Activision turning Bungie into another Infinity Ward. As things stand now, I would not put that past Activision.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I've never been much of a Halo fan anyway. If Bungie end up making another FPS, i'll probably just overlook that too. I can appreciate that they do make fine games though; if they decide to make something in a different genre, I'll probably sit up and take notice. Then again, it's also from Activision...

It really depends on what it is.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
The Undoer said:
I have no love for the Halo series, but once Bungie stops making them I suspect a lot of die hard fans will go and follow Bungie to it's new titles, where as those who are casual fans of the series will realise that after Halo: Reach the new developers have a different vision for the game (which is incredibly likely) and it doesn't go in a direction the fans want.

That's my hypothesis.
I doubt it. Will Modern Warfare 3 sell incredibly well? Yes, even without Infinity Ward. Halo's the same deal.

I could be wrong, though. Personally I just think the name means more to the mainstream than the developer.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
Wow, really? Fuck it, I love Halo, but I love BUNGIE'S Halo. If Activision is going to get their hands on it and turn it into another MW2, I'm not buying it.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Consider this. The I of the IP is leaving the P. The innovation and design, and creation goes where the talent goes. I wish Bungie the best of luck, and hope they can continue to reach that goal of world domination.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Hmm. I wonder what Bungie will work on next. Wonder if they'll do what Halo was originally supposed to be.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
As long as it doesn't have space marines, I think Bungie will do just fine.
Fun fact: Master Chief isn't a Space Marine. Master Chief is a navy rank.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I can't really imagine Halo without Bungie. Reach really seems like they want to do all they can with the series before they leave it.