199: But I Read It in the Papers

CoffeeMonkey

Oct 31, 2008
The best example of uninformed sensationalism was when i last week picked up a copy of a free newspaper (which obviously lives off of selling ad-space in the paper). The front page read: "Vestas fires 1300 employees in Denmark" (Vestas is the worlds largest producer of windmills, based in Denmark). The article went on, saying that the economic crisis were to blame, and basically that Vestas was a doomed company.

When I later picked up a copy of an (in Denmark) acclaimed and respected financial newspaper, I happened on an article concerned with the exact same firing of 1300 employees. However, this newspaper had actually taken time to research the matter, and as it were, Vestas had achieved a quite respectable economic growth over the last year, and the reason it fired 1300 employess in Denmark was that it was moving production to places were the windmills were actually getting bought (seeing that windmills are rather cumbersome to transport over any distance, it makes sense to hire 1300 employees for your factory in China/USA, if they're the ones buying your mills).

Bottom line is, that the former, sensationalistic article was not only completely and utterly WRONG, what's even worse is, that it is actually making people who read it DUMBER than they we're by (unintentionally perhaps) misleading them, because the journalist didn't really have to time to research the matter. Despicable...

jacodemon

Aug 19, 2008
Fantastic article (because it gives me what I want... damn).

I write press and comms for a living, and seeing my press releases reproduced word for word in not one but two free local newspapers and their websites is dispiriting to say the least.

The best/worst part is when they DO use our PR as the basis of an "original" story, rather than just copy-pasting and putting their byline on it, it's literally always to serve their editorial line - I mean, the two papers I mentioned above have clearly differentiated editorial positions so what I regularly see are two stories both reworded from my copy (i.e. with no other info than what they got from us) with a totally different angle, and totally different conclusion, reading as totally different news.

I get the reasons why, etc., it's my profession - but it hasn't always been like this. I think the news industry has become batshit crazy.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Striker1246 said:
Clemenstation said:
Fox News: "Mass Effect is an alien rape simulator! What? Hells no we haven't played it."
That was the such a bad report.
Embarrassing, even for Fox. The townhall.com column they based their outrage on was even worse, but at least that guy got fired.

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
People love to blame video games for the things that go wrong with today's youth. Back in the 60's and 70's it was that new fangled rock and roll music and drugs, now it's Halo and WoW.

The sad fact is, we, as a society, don't seem to want to fess up for our own dumb mistakes in life. Parents will try and blame gaming for a whole host of terrible occurrences, because they can't face the fact that it may be their fault their kid is an anti-social sociopath.