Gamer Builds Real-Life Wipeout With RC Car

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gamer Builds Real-Life Wipeout With RC Car

A man with a little too much time on his hands has recreated the famous PlayStation racing game Wipeout [http://www.amazon.com/WipEout-Online-Game-Code-Playstation-3/dp/B002N2YLDA/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281121024&sr=1-4] with a remote-controlled car, a wireless video camera and a whole lot of cardboard.

A few months ago, Malte Jehmlich had an idea. Wouldn't it be cool to build an arcade-style racing game with an RC car zipping around a real track? His friends certainly thought so, and thus inspired, he got to work.

His idea eventually turned into an obsession that kept him busy for two months, but the end result is, as he predicted, very cool indeed: A Wipeout-style game in which players sit inside a modified arcade cabinet and steer a small, battery-powered car through an elaborate cardboard track located in a different room.

"The car is a 1:28 model, you can get them in shops. The only modification is a plate to carry camera and lights," Jehmlich explained. "On the arcade side, there's a basic Arduino [http://www.arduino.cc/] microcontroller. The remote is controlled by a different controller, both communicate via serial cable."

The car isn't much to look at but it zips along at a good clip. The track, on the other hand, is very impressive and looks awfully complicated, although Jehmlich claimed that it's actually "very stable and easy to assemble."

For the future, he said it would be great to add some kind of scoring system and perhaps a way to automatically right the car after crashes, eliminating the need to have people helping out around the track. He'd also like to work in some jumps, but noted that the camera would have to be really well-attached in order to make it practical.

"With the cost of wireless cameras dropping all the time, and Arduino readily available, I think this would be an easy experiment for other people to try," he said. "Or a project to do with your kids to help get them interested in electronics."

Source: Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/games/wipeout-recreated-with-an-rc-car-and-lots-of-cardboard-2010084/]

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Why doesn't he just make circular bumpers on the side of the car? It's prevent tipping over except in the most extreme cases.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Video game companies take note: THIS is what immersion is. Not 3-D. Something that brings the game to life.

So really, we just need holodecks. Or more people like him and a LOT of floorspace.

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
"A man with a little too much time on his hands". No one who has a Twitter account should be allowed to use this phrase.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
So essentially it's a radio controlled scalextric track with an onboard camera then?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Very cool, I like when someone shows their talent meets their hobby/fun game they like.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
How do you guys get these stories!?

I mean, do someone send you this and you write about it, or do you search for this by yourselves? Or a little of column A and column B

DangNabbit

May 23, 2010
That looks damn good. He should build a Mariokart version, where you can release a banana skin once a race.

olfelix

May 14, 2010
He should encourage other people to build their small racers (equipped with compatible cameras/lights) and race them on that track. Would only need a stop watch to determine the best times. If anything it would be a lot of fun.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"The car is a 1:29 model..."
Um, not to be a jerk or anything here, but he said that it was a 1:28 model... just saying...

But either way that's pretty awesome. Sure he's got a lot of time on his hands, but I would say this is time well spent.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Awesome. I always thought it would be sick to put a wireless camera on my remote control car...

Ace the Demon

Jun 7, 2010
Looks like it holds the true experience of wipeout, spending most of the race scraping along the sides of the track until you explode or fall over in this case.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
For v2 he should rig up laser tag sets onto that car and another.
v3 needs the Quake Disrupter. :D