Lara Croft Downloadable Game Launching Without Online Co-op

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Lara Croft Downloadable Game Launching Without Online Co-op

If you want some co-operative action in the new Lara Croft game, your partner had better be in the room with you.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a59/] will launch later this month as part of Microsoft's Summer of Arcade, but it will missing its online co-op mode. Developer Crystal Dynamics says that the online co-op needs more time, and so the decision was made to remove it from launch and to patch it in later.

Crystal Dynamics' global brand manager Karl Stewart said that Crystal Dynamics didn't want the online mode to be the weak link that let the game down, and that while it was disappointing to have to hold the mode back, it felt that it was the best decision. The game's single player and offline co-op modes will be ready at launch, but the online co-op will added as a free update on September 28th, the same day that the game launches on Steam and PSN.

Crystal Dynamics' decision might seem like a strange one at first, but it seems likely that it can't delay the game because of its commitments to the Summer of Arcade promotion. If that's the case, then none of the choices available to the developer were ideal, and it chose to try and give gamers the best experience it could. It seems like a pretty big gamble, however, to delay online play for such a long time.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light launches on Xbox Live Arcade on August 18th.

Source: Gamespot [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6272657.html]

Jul 22, 2009
I read this a few days ago...

But yay it's confirmed free!

This is XBLA... you're not supposed to milk the cash cow quite as much on there.

And also I read somewhere 5 pieces of DLC already planned... that's interesting.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I'm surprised they didn't follow the trend of every other developer and drop the single player and local co-op so they can have online multiplayer.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
aww poo. but seeing im not gonna get it till the sept 28 anyways no lost to me :p

TheJoojo

Apr 28, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
I'm surprised they didn't follow the trend of every other developer and drop the single player and local co-op so they can have online multiplayer.
I was just thinking the same.
I'd take local co-op over online co-op any day of the week though...
But maybe that's just me.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
From everything I've seen, the single player looks quite enjoyable.

Instead of bogging you down with the AI for platforming, they give Lara that other guy's spear throwing ability.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Impressive. So the game that they explicitly stated was designed with the co-op mode in mind, such that they went back AFTER the co-op was done to make sure the single-player could fit, is launching without their supposedly already finished co-op?

My head, it a'splode.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
JEBWrench said:
Impressive. So the game that they explicitly stated was designed with the co-op mode in mind, such that they went back AFTER the co-op was done to make sure the single-player could fit, is launching without their supposedly already finished co-op?

My head, it a'splode.
You seem to be unfamiliar with the Crystal Dynamics development process...

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
You seem to be unfamiliar with the Crystal Dynamics development process...
That I am - all I know is what the video told me yesterday on Xbox Live told me. That and alcohol is an effective toothache medicine.

wastaz

Mmm...brains...
Nov 16, 2009
I really wish that more game devs could be sane and -not- release half-finished things. Since they'll patch it in later - I don't see this affecting my decision to buy it on release day in any way at all.

Also, local coop is usually more fun anyway. Coop is just not as fun as it is when you can hit your coop-buddy when he/she does something stupid.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
GamesB2 said:
And also I read somewhere 5 pieces of DLC already planned... that's interesting.
so thats 5 pieces of the game theyve taken out along with co-op to sell back to us at a later date...

i know i will get hate for saying that but game devolpers shouldnt be talkin about dlc for a game that isnt even released

Jul 22, 2009
silverbullet1989 said:
GamesB2 said:
so thats 5 pieces of the game theyve taken out along with co-op to sell back to us at a later date...

i know i will get hate for saying that but game devolpers shouldnt be talkin about dlc for a game that isnt even released
Well I completely agree with you... it's worse that it's on XBLA because it seems unreasonable to already be planning DLC.

However if it is just that - planning - and they haven't even started on it yet then I find it acceptable.

As long as they're not going to charge us stupid amounts of MSP for each pack...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont mind actually, I miss the old days where you can play games with people in the same room as you...so, for me, Its ajn excuse for a good time with friends in the same room!

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
wastaz said:
I really wish that more game devs could be sane and -not- release half-finished things. Since they'll patch it in later - I don't see this affecting my decision to buy it on release day in any way at all.
I'm still confused though. How can the single player be finished when they added that AFTER the (no longer?) finished co-op?

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
What? Nooo... How could anyone want to play a game with someone they actually know?

Games need more single-console co-op, not less.