1UP, UGO, and GameSpy Shut Down, IGN Sees Several Layoffs

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
slash2x said:
The_Craig1986 said:
It too bad that people are losing their job, but I think that was definitely a smart business move. I don't know of anything that still uses those sites. I also don't get why the same company would need multiple sites of the same nature.
It is called the EA business model. Why work harder to become better than the competition when you can buy them and break them into pieces you are not good at and fire everyone else. Gamestop did the same with all the other major game stores in the USA. Like poor Rhino Games. RIP Rhino RIP.
Except these aren't competition for IGN. They're owned by the same people, so they're all playing for the same team. Thus, "partner sites."

I know everyone hates EA ever so much, but at least make sure the comparisons are valid.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Compatriot Block said:
slash2x said:
The_Craig1986 said:
It too bad that people are losing their job, but I think that was definitely a smart business move. I don't know of anything that still uses those sites. I also don't get why the same company would need multiple sites of the same nature.
It is called the EA business model. Why work harder to become better than the competition when you can buy them and break them into pieces you are not good at and fire everyone else. Gamestop did the same with all the other major game stores in the USA. Like poor Rhino Games. RIP Rhino RIP.
Except these aren't competition for IGN. They're owned by the same people, so they're all playing for the same team. Thus, "partner sites."

I know everyone hates EA ever so much, but at least make sure the comparisons are valid.
Oh I am sorry I could have sworn that they were different companies that worked on the same kind of content as competitors for years then IGN you know BOUGHT THEM... Oh that is right they did (GameSpy was acquired by IGN Entertainment in March 2004,1UP in 2009, and UGO in 2011)...
Now all the other sites are getting toasted to give people only the option of going to IGN instead of any of the other sites. This is not the first wave of layoffs just the biggest and the last.

Check your facts before you try to call someone out. Thanks.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Cripes. It took this long for GameSpy to finally, truly die.
I remember when it was actually kinda useful. Hell, I even remember having the alpha install for it back when it was called QuakeSpy.

As for the rest: Well, it seems even the specter of EGM that existed in 1UP is now gone as well.
Can't say I'm going to miss 1UP though; it was a gangrenous limb of the net that needed to be hacked off and burnt.