$2.50 Reviews: Clash of the Titans (2010)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
<color=darkred>Previous Review: <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.358876-2-50-Reviews-Last-Night-2010>Last NightNext Review: <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.359976-2-50-Reviews-Wicker-Park-2004>Wicker Park
$2.50 Reviews
Clash of the Titans
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/16/09/70/40/poste310.jpg

From what I can understand, Clash of the Titans exists solely to give its audience a lot of action scenes. I'm not sure if one goes into a film like this and hoping for a large number of real characters or good actors. But then again, someone like Liam Neeson or Ralph Fiennes is involved in this project, so you might go in expecting that. Unfortunately, neither one of them gives a very good performance, which can be said for everyone else as well.

[Img_Inline width="275" height="163" Caption="It's bro-love. Totally." align="left"]http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/16/09/70/40/clash-10.jpg[/Img_Inline]

The plot, as far as I can remember, revolves around a man named Perseus (Sam Worthington). He's a demigod, born after Zeus (Neeson) decided it would be a fun idea to impregnate a random woman (who was later killed for apparently not staying truthful to her husband, even though Zeus had disguised himself as her husband). Make sense of that, and you'll have thought more about the film than anyone involved did. Anyway, Perseus doesn't like praying to the gods, his father included, and ends up embarking on a quest to kill the gods' Kraken. Why? Because it might be fun, I guess.

So, yes, we're in ancient times and Greek gods exist. And now they're angry, because more and more people aren't praying to them. Apparently, that's the only way they are allowed to stay immortal, and are therefore upset that atheism is on the upswing. They cause some trouble for the characters as the film goes on, but mostly stay to themselves. I'm unsure why they really needed to be involved at all, except to say that the film is based on Greek mythology (and an earlier film with the same name and somewhat similar storyline).

If it seems like I'm having difficulty recalling the plot of Clash of the Titans, it's because I am. I don't remember a whole lot about it, largely because it's just an excuse to have giant scorpions, a Kraken, and other types of giant creatures for the cast to fight against. Action scenes follow more action scenes, I suppose. Oh, and when we see the gods up in their little version of Heaven, they wear incredibly shiny armor that seemed to me like a waste of money to render.

[Img_Inline width="275" height="145" Caption="Oh, hey, it's that one girl from that ''Bond'' film." align="right"]http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/16/09/70/40/clash-11.jpg[/Img_Inline]

There are a couple of subplots, both of which go nowhere important. The first involves a woman named Andromeda (Alexa Davalos), whom the gods want as a sacrifice for whatever reason you want to come up with. The second involves another woman, this one named Io (Gemma Arterton), who cannot age because she was cursed by the gods. She ends up being Perseus' love interest, although calling it a "love interest" involves actual interest, which this doesn't have.

One action scene after another happens, and by the end, I got tired. Any attempt at drama falls flat, which means that it has to rely solely on its action scenes. At this, it succeeds marginally well. Some of the action scenes are fairly exciting, and there were one or two that had some originality. Most of them are dull, though, and I was yawning far more often than not. The problem comes mostly from not caring about anyone involved.

The only character where depth is attempted with is Perseus, but even this fails. He has father issues, obviously, but it seems like this is the motivation for his entire character. The rest of the time, he's a bland person who just happens to be fairly good with a sword. The rest of the cast is filled with woman who exist for little reason, and men who exist for little reason but have beards. At least it wasn't the other way around, although maybe that would have been interesting.

[Img_Inline width="275" height="190" Caption="Liam, go back to hunting wolves." Align="left"]http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/16/09/70/40/32944810.jpg[/Img_Inline]

Most of the time, I couldn't even tell which character was doing what. They all looked the same! They all had the same type of facial hair, haircut, armor, weapons, etc. It was like watching dolls fight giant monsters. If this took place in a toy box, the monsters would be played by the hands of the children who hold the dolls. Or maybe that child's friend. But regardless, that's how many of the fights played out for me.

None of the actors do a good job either. You might expect Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes (he plays Hades, if you're wondering) or Pete Poslethwaite to raise the material to their level, but instead, they played down to how terrible it all was. Sam Worthington doesn't make a good lead here, and he doesn't ever seem to show emotion. There is no chemistry between him and Gemma Arterton, and since that subplot is so small to begin with, I had to wonder why it even made it to the final cut.

The worst part about the film is its attitude. There isn't a single happy person in the film, and that doesn't make it a pleasant watch. You go to an action film to be entertained, but watching gloomy people be gloomy before going around and killing monsters isn't fun. I just wanted to see them smile once in a while, but that didn't happen.

Clash of the Titans wasn't an enjoyable film. There were a couple of entertaining action spots, but apart from them, there was nothing to like. The acting was bad, the subplots didn't work, the main plot didn't seem to have much reason to exist, the characters were bland, and there weren't any smiles or happiness to be found anywhere. I was bored more often than not, and I can't recommend this film to anyone, unless you like boring, depressing and dull action films.

<color=D6D9DA>_________________________________________________________________________________

If you are a fan of my reviews, and want to boost my ego receive notifications when new reviews are posted, please join/visit this <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/2-50-Reviews>user group.
For an archive of all my previous movie reviews, please go <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.284075-2-50-Reviews-Archive>here.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I always liked the original more than the reboot mostly cause I enjoy the story of it and characters (and am totally not sounding hipster while saying that). I've alawys felt if they did a second remake, combined the action of the 2010 and the story of the original, youd have the movie its trying to be.

actually, I remember getting really excited about this when I first heard it coming out. So much so I made the effort to get the premotional poster that was inside the theatre I worked at that still had the original date instead of the 3D delay. Then as I heard more (the aforementioned 3D) i wound up hating it more.

However, I will say that soe of the stuff in here was just very funny to me. io and perseus as lovers, when Io was Zues' little human play thing since I guess hera got boring and he cant just summon something that WONT piss her off when he screws it.

though i must say when i heard about the sequel I wasnt thrilled.

and im still of the opinion that in recent times The Immortals was one of the best of these types of films.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I felt this iteration of the Greeks did a few things right, but still was kind of "off" for me. Immortals was more interesting, and at least was stunning to look at even when action wasn't happening.

I highly recommend you check out Cleolinda Jones' excellent and hilarious Clash of the Titans in 15 Minutes [http://m15m.livejournal.com/22342.html].

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
The biggest problem behind anything involving Greek lore: why care? Why should I, the viewer, give a shit about gods or their little puppet shows? It's pretty hard to get invested in something when the motivations behind the puppet masters can be summed up as "I felt like it" and "why not?" Oh look, a god did something and another god has a problem with it and some mortals do something or rather and some semi-immortal hero dies or something, blah, blah, blah.

It's the same reason The Joker is a shit character; he is a tool for writers to make a story when they don't feel like actually coming up with real motivations. "Some men just want to watch the world burn." No. Just no. All powerful, but not really, all knowing, but kind of not and immortal, but can kind of be killed. Insane, does whatever they feel like for no real reason, has no interesting history, has no remotely understandable or relateable humanity. It's all the same shit.

Start any story with some neigh untouchable prick doing something because they just kind of feel like it and I can already feel my eyelids dropping and hear the snores a'coming.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
My cousin said that the star of the movie, was "Paris Hilton's diamond incrusted dildo", wich was Perseus' sword.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
I kind of disagree Grey. The point is, the Greek gods DO, in the actual legends and stories have motivations. They're selfish, lustful, vengeful, and very flawed, but intriguing characters. Nearly every tale from Greek mythology is directly related to the character of the gods involved.

The Minotaur was Poseidon being wrathful towards his unfaithful servants, Arachne was punished for being better than Athena, who was proud, Zeus had sex with just about anything he liked the look of.

The point is though, most of the stories aren't even about the Gods, they're just the starting point for how the influence the human characters. The gods, more often than not, are playing the villain to the piece, and don't need any peril to add drama to the story, since it's the humans who are the protagonists.

"I feel like it" can be summed up as the motivation behind any character. Why does Batman fight crime, why does Atticus Finch defend black people, why do the children murder Piggy? Because they feel like it.

Clash of the Titans is still a dull movie, but it's not because of the "Untouchable" nature of the antagonists. It's dull because it's a poorly written film, with almost no interesting perfomances, which becomes entirely unmemorable.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Loonyyy said:

"I feel like it" can be summed up as the motivation behind any character. Why does Batman fight crime, why does Atticus Finch defend black people, why do the children murder Piggy? Because they feel like it...
This might be one of the better ways to describe divine motivation in Greek myth. I've always felt like the gods, while divine, were prone to bouts of "I'll do this because it looks like fun" type of thing.

More on topic, I saw the movie, and I didn't even remember what it was right afterwards. It wasn't memorable, barring the giant scorpion scene, which I felt was an attempt to throw a little Kratos in there. Just throwing that out there.