$2.50 Reviews: How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
<color=darkred>Previous Review: <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.343659-2-50-Reviews-Cassandras-Dream-2007>Cassandra's DreamNext Review: <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.344762-2-50-Reviews-Jay-and-Silent-Bob-Strike-Back-2001>Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
$2.50 Reviews
How to Train Your Dragon
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/16/09/70/40/poste247.jpg

Take one part generic story, another part uninspired characters and two parts beautiful scenery, and you've got a pretty good description of How to Train Your Dragon. Here is a film that gets a pass from me almost solely because of its imagery. On a narrative level, it's mundane, and when looking at its action scenes, you can't help but wonder why you're supposed to care, especially because one of them occurs before we know who anyone is.

[Img_Inline width="275" height="181" Caption="Okay, it's kinda cute." align="left"]http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/16/09/70/40/clipbo67.jpg[/Img_Inline]

Said scene occurs while we're listening to a random teenager explain the setting to us. His name is Hiccup (voice of Jay Baruchel), a terrible name that he hates, but accepts it because his parents explained that it would help protect him from the evils of the world. He then tells us that he lives on the island of Berk, and that he lives among vikings. The island is nice, and the vikings are nice enough, but the island has one problem: Its pests. Dragons are constantly coming around to mess up the vikings' days.

The action scene has vikings fighting against the dragons. It's a well-crafted battle, although we're more interested in this kid's dialogue than we are in the action. See, this opening monologue is funny, and we're focused so intently on him that we fail to notice a lot of what's happening in regards to the dragons and the vikings. It does help establish a setting and reinforce the point (which doesn't need reinforcing once the film reaches the mid-way point) that the vikings downright loathe the dragons.

This proves problematic when our lead doesn't hate them. Or at least, he grows into not hating them -- or maybe he never really did at all; it's not quite clear. For the first half of the film, two things happen. The first involves Hiccup learning (alongside his fellow teenagers) how to kill dragons. They're taught by a man voiced by Craig Ferguson, and everyone makes fun of Hiccup because he's incompetent when it comes to combat. Being the shortest, weakest and most docile of the group makes him an easy target, I guess. Regardless, the teenagers fight a bunch of dragons over and over again. Craig Ferguson's character doesn't do much teaching.

[Img_Inline width="275" height="181" Caption="I can see how this would be fun." Align="right"]http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/16/09/70/40/clipbo69.jpg[/Img_Inline]

The second story, which is where we get our title from, involves Hiccup attempting to befriend an injured dragon that he names Toothless. Yes, this dragon is cute, endearing, and all of those other words which means that we like it. We like it because of its appearance, but also because of how it interacts with our protagonist. It taunts him, it acts somewhat human, although it seems to do so for our benefit. Children will love this, but it was sometimes annoying to me, especially because the humans were said to be the smart ones. But that's fine.

We spend a lot of our time in either the arena, watching Hiccup and his gang of vikings-to-be fighting against dragons, or Hiccup playing, riding on, or otherwise spending time with his new best friend. At this point in the film, I was having a great time. The writing was sharp, the parallels between the situations were great, and the dragon in question was adorable. Everyone is having a good time. Hiccup even used knowledge he learned while bonding with Toothless in the arena, and figured ways to peacefully incapacitate them.

But then the film decides that it needs a plot, and we get a cookie-cutter finale about the most unlikely of heroes becoming one, and a war happens. Then there's the whole disapproving father (Gerard Butler), who doesn't like his son at the beginning because he's weak, but when he starts doing well in the arena, they become closer. Oh, there's also the romantic angle in which the girl also doesn't initially like him, but also eventually warms to him. I can't even make the final half of this film sound interesting; it's just so generic. It's not bad, and since this is primarily a children's film, it will fit for that audience, but the plot left me disappointed.

[Img_Inline width="275" height="163" Caption="This one? Not so much." Align="left"]http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/16/09/70/40/clipbo68.jpg[/Img_Inline]

The final action scene, while somewhat thrilling, also left me disappointed. It goes on for too long, for starters, and I also didn't care a whole lot about what happens. It's initiated because of stupidity, and because one character makes a stupid decision, we get a 20 minute long scene where dragons fly around and breathe fire a whole bunch. Again, this is fun for the kids, who are the target audience, but I needed to care about the characters in order for them to matter.

There isn't any character development that you won't see coming or expect as soon as the basic plot is established. As a result, it almost seems to you that the characters have already reached that point, and then you don't seem them grow at all. The plot doesn't provide any insight into their characters, and most of the time, they just go along with the plot based on the personalities they've already established. If you want deep characters, look elsewhere.

"Looking" is something that you will probably be doing a lot of while watching this film. It's gorgeous, and if there's one thing that will hold your attention, it's how the film looks. Animations, character animations, the environment -- it all looks incredible. You'd got to hand it to Dreamworks here, as they've created a visual spectacle.

How to Train Your Dragon is a good film that will likely be great in the eyes of children. But it moves from special territory into generic in its second half, and by the end, I was tired of spending time with every person involved. I was sick of watching them progress exactly like I'd expect, and I was hoping for one surprise to make me remember that I had never seen this film before. But in the end, it still has a lot of action with outstanding visuals, so it's not a waste of time ot watch it.

<color=D6D9DA>_________________________________________________________________________________

If you are a fan of my reviews, and want to boost my ego receive notifications when new reviews are posted, please join/visit this <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/2-50-Reviews>user group.
For an archive of all my previous movie reviews, please go <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.284075-2-50-Reviews-Archive>here.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
I'm surprised you had such a strong negative reaction to some aspects of this film its one that I love and I think everybody else I've ever asked about it has said they really liked it.I suppose it did have some generic themes and treaded familiar ground but because it was done so well it didn't make me regard the film in an unfavourable light.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
thelonewolf266 said:
I'm surprised you had such a strong negative reaction to some aspects of this film its one that I love and I think everybody else I've ever asked about it has said they really liked it.I suppose it did have some generic themes and treaded familiar ground but because it was done so well it didn't make me regard the film in an unfavourable light.
Yeah I felt the same way, the execution of this movie was really well made and made me fall in love with the relationship of the dragon.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
Marik2 said:
thelonewolf266 said:
Yeah I felt the same way, the execution of this movie was really well made and made me fall in love with the relationship of the dragon.
That reminds me of the other reason I love this film toothless is a frigging badass.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I think Dreamworks is good at taking themes that have been done before and executing them really well. Take a look at Kung Fu Panda, it's a story about believing in yourself that we've all seen before, but everything was done so well that it was kind of hard to care. The same thing can be said for How To Train Your Dragon imo.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I haven't seen this movie yet and I really wasn't expecting anything great coming from Dreamworks. I think my nephews brought the movie the other day they came to my house, but I was way too busy to watch the movie with them, but from what I heared (DVD player plugged into a bitchin' awesome 90's stereo sound system), it sounded pretty good and the few scenes and pieces I managed to watched for a few seconds looked pretty fun. I'll ask them to bring the movie again the next time I or one of my sisters need to babysit them :)

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
You have to at least give them some credit for not pulling their punches with that ending. Also I'm surprised you didn't at least mention the soundtrack, it was one of the better draws to the entire experience.

I absolutely unconditionally loved this movie, so yeah...Probably a little biased.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I have to say I agree with this review.

While HTTYD's heart is firmly in the right place - which is a first for Dreamworks since Prince of Egypt - there were too many things that kept me from truly enjoying it.

Why do the kids talk like white bread Americans while the parents talk like burly Scotsmen?

Also, a lot of the character designs just didn't work in 3D. Mainly the vikings and the dragons. And the kid's designs while at least stable were rather bland and uninteresting. The only character design that was really good was Toothless.

The flying scenes were absolutely spectacular, but in the end this movie never quite won me over.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
The movie was good and all, and I do agree with your points. Do gotta say though that the dragons seemed more like reptilian, flying cats than what one may surmise as actual dragon behavior. But when I saw this movie, two things came to mind.

Why don't dragons exist in our reality? And how awesome would it have been if vikings rode dragons into battle?! I mean seriously. Dragons and vikings are both awesome separately, but combined? Drool.

captcha: Etriac escaped. Does not sound good, not at all.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
I couldn't stand Hiccup. Bratty, whiny, self-absorbed and self-pitying... yeah, I hated him. And I couldn't really get behind any of the other characters either. The best character was Toothless, and I think that was because he didn't talk!

How To Train Your Dragon; beautifully animated, horrifically written.

TheMightyBill

Feb 17, 2011
Yes, the story was a little basic, but why is that bad thing? It's not like we're spoiled for choice when it comes to basic family movies these days. Know what else was a family movie that year? Toy Story 3.

Colonel Joson

Apr 20, 2008
LobsterFeng said:
I think Dreamworks is good at taking themes that have been done before and executing them really well. Take a look at Kung Fu Panda, it's a story about believing in yourself that we've all seen before, but everything was done so well that it was kind of hard to care. The same thing can be said for How To Train Your Dragon imo.
... this is unrelated to the review, but... your avatar... is that Fluttershy breaking a wolf/bear's neck?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
TheMightyBill said:
Yes, the story was a little basic, but why is that bad thing? It's not like we're spoiled for choice when it comes to basic family movies these days. Know what else was a family movie that year? Toy Story 3.
The story being basic makes the story get a little dull, and eventually, trying too. And having choice in family movies doesn't justify any mistakes made by this one.

I still liked the movie, but it was more the artistry that got me, the animation and the score, rather than the story.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
I liked the movie, a lot. So did my teen-sister. Good for a laugh or two, cute characters, impressive soundtrack. Breathtaking animation. Decent story. I'd give it 4/5.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Colonel Joson said:
LobsterFeng said:
... this is unrelated to the review, but... your avatar... is that Fluttershy breaking a wolf/bear's neck?

Another reason why I can't stop watching these confounding ponies.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Seen the film over 15 times and I'm somewhat of a fan, I'm happy they are making a sequel in 2014, long time to wait but it should be worth it just to see more of the lovable characters :)