2011 Holiday Buyer's Guide

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
2011 Holiday Buyer's Guide

Whether you're in a giving mood or filling out your wish list, we've got great suggestions.

Read Full Article

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Nice guide, especially the tabletop games. (Still love Carcassone, despite it being considerably old now)

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
all of which can be yours for a sum total of 29.99 off of steams autumn and christmas sales.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
You forgot Assassin' Creed Revelations. Lego Architecture Series are cool but not worth the $80+ price tags.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
*nerdgasm*. That Sultan Table is sweet.

So the question is, do we buy pre-owned??
(And no love for the gaming charity projects like Raspberry Pi [//www.raspberrypi.org/]? Shame.)

Aug 25, 2009
Captain Jack Harkness coat? You do realise that we just call those 'military great coats' and they can be picked up at your local Military Surplus store for somewhere between 20-50 English pounds?

I've had one since I was sixteen. It cost me £25, plus another fiver to get some buttons to replace the ones it had lost.

Seriously, don't claim those things are expensive, they're really not. Also, buying an actual military great coat would probably be a lot more hardwearing than those crappy replicas.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
If I may put in a suggestion for the "Unplugged" section.

"Agricola"
Imagine if Farmville and Chess had a baby, and that baby got farmville's looks, but Chess's smarts.

A 2-5 player (4 is best) German Style strategy board game with *very* little luck involved.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola

Somebody even made a free online version of it (Which the developer is 100% cool with). The interface is a bit clunky and new players will be lost without a firm understanding of the rules, but worth it to check out if you've ever played it in person and want to get your fix online.

http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/Board1/Agricola.html

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Baldr said:
You forgot Assassin' Creed Revelations. Lego Architecture Series are cool but not worth the $80+ price tags.
We thought about that, but our game list was built on the premise that you don't know the giftee's library, and you really should play the rest of the series before you play Revelations. Of course, if they like AC, Revelations is a fine idea.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
That rifle is almost TWICE the weight of an M14, which is one of the heaviest rifles ever given to a modern military! That is heavy!

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
Captain Jack Harkness coat? You do realise that we just call those 'military great coats' and they can be picked up at your local Military Surplus store for somewhere between 20-50 English pounds?

I've had one since I was sixteen. It cost me £25, plus another fiver to get some buttons to replace the ones it had lost.

Seriously, don't claim those things are expensive, they're really not. Also, buying an actual military great coat would probably be a lot more hardwearing than those crappy replicas.
That's interesting. Do you know any online stores i could get one? I'm really not aching to pay out between 300-400USD for one if i can get one of genuine british quality.

OT: After having bought the games i was interested in through November i really didn't know what to wish for, but some of those items might just make a small wishlist :)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Awesome, great that you're doing this! It's hard for outsiders to understand the geek culture, and this should help.

Aug 25, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
MelasZepheos said:

That's interesting. Do you know any online stores i could get one? I'm really not aching to pay out between 300-400USD for one if i can get one of genuine british quality.

OT: After having bought the games i was interested in through November i really didn't know what to wish for, but some of those items might just make a small wishlist :)
I'd recommend trying to find a surplus store in your town, most British towns have at least one, and I assume the same is true of America. Also, if you have an army base near you it may be possible to just go straight there and buy one. (Seriously, they basically hawk any surplus they have to make a little extra money.)

As for online stores, just type some variation of 'military/raf/army/polish/russian/british greatcoat' into google and you'll find one. (German and American greatcoats have a very different design to them) RAF are the blue that Jack wears, but sometimes you can get Naval greatcoats in that blue as well (the RAF alternate between blue and grey depending on officer/cadet/regular/non-com etc)

One of my uni friends got his grey RAF greatcoat by walking up to the base near his home one day and asking if they had any surplus jackets, he got it for £15. Lie I said mine was a military surplus store for £25. Online it'll cost you about £40+shipping. (Not sure about American online shopping, it's quite different.)

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
I'd recommend trying to find a surplus store in your town, most British towns have at least one, and I assume the same is true of America. Also, if you have an army base near you it may be possible to just go straight there and buy one. (Seriously, they basically hawk any surplus they have to make a little extra money.)

As for online stores, just type some variation of 'military/raf/army/polish/russian/british greatcoat' into google and you'll find one. (German and American greatcoats have a very different design to them) RAF are the blue that Jack wears, but sometimes you can get Naval greatcoats in that blue as well (the RAF alternate between blue and grey depending on officer/cadet/regular/non-com etc)

One of my uni friends got his grey RAF greatcoat by walking up to the base near his home one day and asking if they had any surplus jackets, he got it for £15. Lie I said mine was a military surplus store for £25. Online it'll cost you about £40+shipping. (Not sure about American online shopping, it's quite different.)
Thanks, that's great :) I was just asking about online stores because living in Norway (a country with hardly any military focus) i don't think i've actually seen anything that would equate to a surplus store anywhere in my entire life. I only mentioned american dollars 'cause that's what the linked site was displaying in, so sorry for any confusion. I imagine that most English online shops will be able to ship to Norway though so i'll just poke around for a bit and see what i can find.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MelasZepheos said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
MelasZepheos said:

We do have them, but Army/Navy surplus is never as chic as Jack's coat. Great places to find camping gear, though.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
God! Not Robin Hobb! ANYTHING BUT HER! Out of the 2 trilogies of hers I've read, she has no fucking clue how to end a book.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Disappointed in the lack of Dominion on the Unplugged page. Absolutely fantastic card game that's capable of Magic: The Gathering's depth without everyone needing to spend $100 on their own decks (because you build your deck as you play). Absolutely perfect for the card gaming nut who has a hard time selling any of their friends on standard card games that require frequent upkeep to stay competitive, and wants to play more than just Hearts and Poker.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I want portal 2, the pound O' Dice, Legend of Drizzt, and All the MTG cards. there is my wishlist.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Commodore's amazing 64-bit computer
8 bit. 64K of RAM. No, it can't run Win 7.:)

Commodore has released a new version of the computer
Oh, goody, who's got the Commodore name NOW? Is this Tulip Computers still or someone else? *Looks it up.* A licensee?

Commodore will even be releasing a new version of its classic OS Vision
*Spittake*. I'm sorry, WHAT? The OS on a C64 was BASIC 2.0 by a little company called Microsoft. You could code using the Kernal if you were into 6502 assembly, or you could get GEOS (which looks rather Windows 2-ish or 3-ish) but the thing you see when it first turns on is BASIC. I still know what JSR $FFD2 means and I ain't never heard of Vision.

*Attacks Google* *Refines search TWICE*

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS_Vision.aspx
It's Linux with a slightly different shell and maybe a bundled emulator. That's all.

I'm not even looking and I see Tux and LibreOffice.

Guys, I love ya, but if you aren't into retro hardware, check Wikipedia or something. I know they're flaky at best but if the C64 page Cowboy Bebop at his Computer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64] on me.

("wireless n wifi"? Really?)